PDA

View Full Version : atlanta

shanerpvt
09-11-2006, 10:06 PM
just purchase a 99 atlanta steel frame. i'm a mtb rider - this is my first roadie since i was 17. It's a yellow to red sun burst. are most people running campy? down tube shifters or grip shift?

Ken Robb
09-11-2006, 10:32 PM
grip shift????????

dave thompson
09-11-2006, 10:40 PM
grip shift????????
Isn't that mountainbikese for STI shifters? :D

Some of us run Campy, some Shimano. On a 99 Atlanta most likely you would use STI or Ergo shifters, unless you like downtube shifting. It's all cool!

The Competition Red fade to Competition Yellow is a classic Serotta paint scheme.

shanerpvt
09-12-2006, 07:34 PM
yes sti or ergo is what i was talking about. nice to know it is traditional paint for Serotta. Does anyone know the wheel spacing and seat post size for this bike or where i can get this info.

also, i am debating on a few options - any thoughts

1) 9 or 10 speed?
2) standard or compact crankset
3) any advise on crank arm length?

thanks for all the help,

shaner

Michael Maddox
09-12-2006, 07:56 PM
Actually, I AM running Grip Shift on my new Flyte cross bike. NOS from eBay, boo-yah!

dave thompson
09-12-2006, 08:24 PM
yes sti or ergo is what i was talking about. nice to know it is traditional paint for Serotta. Does anyone know the wheel spacing and seat post size for this bike or where i can get this info.

also, i am debating on a few options - any thoughts

1) 9 or 10 speed?
2) standard or compact crankset
3) any advise on crank arm length?

thanks for all the help,

shaner
Seat post is 27.2, rear wheel spacing is 130, front dérailleur clamp size is 34.9mm, English bottom bracket.

The answer to question 1 & 2 are your choice. To #3, it depends on your size. Smaller riders are usually 170, taller riders are mostly 175 (except for too tall and he's about a 415 :D ) and the rest are in between. Honestly, without knowing your measurements, it's hard to make recommendations. Perhaps you should go to a good LBS and get fitted on your new bike. At least you'll have a starting point.

shanerpvt
09-15-2006, 09:53 PM
thanks for all the good imput - does anyone know the bottombracket size on the atlanta?

dave thompson
09-15-2006, 10:00 PM
thanks for all the good imput - does anyone know the bottombracket size on the atlanta?
English, 68MM.

shanerpvt
09-15-2006, 10:04 PM
Dave,

thanks for your help again! I am 5' 11" - average build. I am looking at puting cinelli bars on my bike - what is the most common handlebar width for a guy of my size?

obtuse
09-15-2006, 10:06 PM
Dave,

thanks for your help again! I am 5' 11" - average build. I am looking at puting cinelli bars on my bike - what is the most common handlebar width for a guy of my size?

eleventeen.

obtuse

shanerpvt
09-15-2006, 10:07 PM
eleventeen.

obtuse

please explain - new to the road.

obtuse
09-15-2006, 10:22 PM
please explain - new to the road.

it's the number after the one where i run out of fingers and somewhat before the one with the letter "E" in it that they always forget to put on elevators.

listen bub- it doesn't matter. put a 42cm bar and don't shift out of the small chainring untill april. shave your legs too but not your face if you have an important race coming up, don't ever eat, and style your hair into a bathtub mowhawk both in and out of the bathtub. these are the secrets to roadie super-stardom.

obtuse

Serpico
09-15-2006, 10:22 PM

shanerpvt
09-15-2006, 10:37 PM
it's the number after the one where i run out of fingers and somewhat before the one with the letter "E" in it that they always forget to put on elevators.

listen bub- it doesn't matter. put a 42cm bar and don't shift out of the small chainring untill april. shave your legs too but not your face if you have an important race coming up, don't ever eat, and style your hair into a bathtub mowhawk both in and out of the bathtub. these are the secrets to roadie super-stardom.

obtuse

sorry to bug ya bro - but you are right, by april it'll be back to the fat tires

dave thompson
09-15-2006, 10:52 PM
Dave,

About the same width as your shoulders, 42~44CM.