PDA

View Full Version : Backwards - Moto style brake config

radsmd
09-12-2017, 01:46 AM
Just picked up the bike hire/rental here in Sydney Australia and in addition to driving on the wrong side of the road, they have the bike brakes set up moto style, with the left lever controlling the rear and right lever controlling the front brake.

The shifting however is just like I have it on my bikes, left front and right rear derailleur. Hope I don't kill myself with muscle memory...

Looking forward to seeing more of Sydney on the bike.

Llewellyn
09-12-2017, 02:42 AM
Hehe.

I have all of my bikes (except the one with disc brakes) set up with the left lever controlling the front brake and the right for the rear brake. Apparently that's illegal but I don't care - it works best for me and I doubt that the cops would even care.

Enjoy Sydney - it's a great city (but Melbourne's better ;) )

radsmd
09-12-2017, 03:38 AM
Hehe.

I have all of my bikes (except the one with disc brakes) set up with the left lever controlling the front brake and the right for the rear brake. Apparently that's illegal but I don't care - it works best for me and I doubt that the cops would even care.

Enjoy Sydney - it's a great city (but Melbourne's better ;) )

I did not know that is actually the law. They are also very serious about always having a helmet while riding.

The people here in the pub respectfully disagree about Melbourne being better. I will just need to visit sometime and decide for myself.

Cheers.

Llewellyn
09-12-2017, 03:53 AM
I did not know that is actually the law. They are also very serious about always having a helmet while riding.

The people here in the pub respectfully disagree about Melbourne being better. I will just need to visit sometime and decide for myself.

Cheers.

The rivalry between Sydney and Melbourne is fierce and legendary (and not always friendly).

The only reason our capital city Canberra is half way between Melbourne and Sydney is because the politicians in both cities couldn't agree on which one of Melbourne or Sydney should be the capital. So they built it in the middle of a sheep paddock in a valley.

ANAO
09-12-2017, 02:24 PM
That's how I have my brakes routed as well. And I live in the US.

oldpotatoe
09-12-2017, 02:45 PM
Just picked up the bike hire/rental here in Sydney Australia and in addition to driving on the wrong side of the road, they have the bike brakes set up moto style, with the left lever controlling the rear and right lever controlling the front brake.

The shifting however is just like I have it on my bikes, left front and right rear derailleur. Hope I don't kill myself with muscle memory...

I've been 'goofy footed' for years...allows you to brake(rear) when either grabbing a mussette bag or shifting rear while braking....I know, oldfartedness.

zennmotion
09-12-2017, 02:56 PM
All my bikes are set up that way, starting back when I was racing CX (where there's a real reason- rear braking only while dismounting), and not wanting to re-wire my brain between my CX and other bikes. The only downside is when people occasionally borrow one of my bikes, that and sometimes cables need to be routed a little differently (crossover) for alternative optimal smooth braking or avoiding cable rub. I'm thinking that someday a thief might find themselves flying over my handlebar during a fast getaway... that would be sweet.

NHAero
09-12-2017, 03:50 PM
My bikes are moto style, dating from when I was riding motos too! Easier to keep it all consistent. Trickier to switch hydraulics, whic I did when I bought my Pivot MTB.

Mark McM
09-12-2017, 04:01 PM

As it turns out, you are not the "outlaw" that you might think you are. The CPSC (which regulates bicycle safety standards in the US) says that right/rear left/front brake routing is the default, but that it may be swapped if desired. The actual wording from the CPSC bicycle regulations (https://www.cpsc.gov/Business--Manufacturing/Business-Education/Business-Guidance/Bicycle-Requirements) is (bolding added for emphasis):

(b) Hand levers have to be on the handlebars and readily usable. The distance between middle of a hand lever and the handlebar may be no wider than 3 ½ inches (3 inches for levers on sidewalk bicycles). Unless a customer specifies otherwise, the hand lever that operates the rear brake must be on the right handlebar. The lever that operates the front brake must be on the left handlebar. A lever that operates both brakes may be on either handlebar. Please note that, if a bicycle has hand lever extensions, all tests are conducted with the extensions in place.

cadence90
09-12-2017, 04:09 PM
As it turns out, you are not the "outlaw" that you might think you are. The CPSC (which regulates bicycle safety standards in the US) says that right/rear left/front brake routing is the default, but that it may be swapped if desired. The actual wording from the CPSC bicycle regulations (https://www.cpsc.gov/Business--Manufacturing/Business-Education/Business-Guidance/Bicycle-Requirements) is (bolding added for emphasis):

Why would CPSC affect Llewellyn?

In any case, I (I am in the US) have always set up:
Right = front brake, rear der
Left = rear brake, front der
mainly because I find this set-up more comfortable and immediate, being right-handed. It is second nature at this point.

Mark McM
09-12-2017, 04:18 PM
Why would CPSC affect Llewellyn?

Ooops! I didn't notice his location.

I guess the right/left orientation varies by country.

Another case is which seat an aircraft is piloted from. A fixed wing aircraft is generally piloted from the left seat, whereas a rotary wing aircraft is generally piloted from the wrong seat ;)

cadence90
09-12-2017, 04:47 PM
Another case is which seat an aircraft is piloted from. A fixed wing aircraft is generally piloted from the left seat, whereas a rotary wing aircraft is generally piloted from the wrong seat ;)
Interesting. I wonder what the reasons are.

Do UK pilots fly from the "other side"?

Clancy
09-13-2017, 11:23 AM
I remember reading somewhere that the reasoning behind right = rear brakes for U.S. is that most people are right handed and the idea is a newer rider in a panic would grab too much brake, and the right hand being stronger, if used for the front, would cause too many face plants.

Have no idea if this is actual fact, but sounds reasonable.

weiwentg
09-13-2017, 11:42 AM
I remember reading somewhere that the reasoning behind right = rear brakes for U.S. is that most people are right handed and the idea is a newer rider in a panic would grab too much brake, and the right hand being stronger, if used for the front, would cause too many face plants.

Have no idea if this is actual fact, but sounds reasonable.

Maybe Sheldon Brown (https://www.sheldonbrown.com/brakturn.html)? Have to scroll to middle of the page, Which Brake Which Side?

witcombusa
09-13-2017, 11:42 AM

The left lever is the clutch on a moto, not the rear brake...

chiasticon
09-13-2017, 12:24 PM
I remember reading somewhere that the reasoning behind right = rear brakes for U.S. is that most people are right handed and the idea is a newer rider in a panic would grab too much brake, and the right hand being stronger, if used for the front, would cause too many face plants.I've read that it's because we ride on the right in the states. you can signal with your left hand while safely slowing the rear with your right. hence why moto routing is popular in countries where they ride on the left. (that said, I signal with both hands.)

The shifting however is just like I have it on my bikes, left front and right rear derailleur.I don't believe anyone makes shifters otherwise, do they? unless you gutted and swapped them maybe?

redir
09-13-2017, 01:38 PM
My cyclocross bikes are set up that was as another poster mentioned. My other bikes are set up normal. I'm about the most confused person you could ever meet but it still doesn't bother me. When you want to stop, grab your brake levers and pull them in till you slow down... See how easy that is? :)

If it helps think of the word Runt. Right-Front

09-13-2017, 02:12 PM
The left lever is the clutch on a moto, not the rear brake...

This is really it. Kids in Europe ride small motos from an early age in lieu of cars and this is second nature to them. If Europeans really thought the other way around was going to be the right way, you'd have seen all the bike brake manufacturers reverse the front caliper so it pulled on the left instead of the right.

In the US, they don't, and the crepuscular thinking of CPSC decided that the right brake had to go to the rear by virtue of reasoning from an administrator who had never in his life ridden a bike without a coaster brake.

RobJ
09-13-2017, 03:05 PM
I just built up my gravel bike moto style. Not necessarily by choice because unbeknownst to me, SRAM sells their Force 22 hydro shifters setup moto style (at least through UK outlets) :rolleyes:

I've seen it in use before, as others have mentioned, on cx bikes. Really didn't take much adaptation on the first ride.

oldpotatoe
09-13-2017, 05:45 PM
I just built up my gravel bike moto style. Not necessarily by choice because unbeknownst to me, SRAM sells their Force 22 hydro shifters setup moto style (at least through UK outlets) :rolleyes:

I've seen it in use before, as others have mentioned, on cx bikes. Really didn't take much adaptation on the first ride.

Cross bikes usually left rear cuz dismounting left side and squeezing (rear) brake, otherwise may tip bike onto nose if mashing front brake while dismounting. How I built all cross bikes in shop, right front, left rear.

radsmd
09-13-2017, 05:52 PM
After a 80 km ride yesterday, I am happy to report that it is a non-issue. Absolutely no drama. Of course did not have any instances requiring an emergency stop, but I intend to keep it that way. I don't expect it to be an issue with that either, since i think that if we ride with any regularity, we tend to use both brakes pretty equally.

BTW the Canyon bikes that Rapha rents to the Rapha Cycling Club members are very nice. Carbon frame/fork, 9170 dura ace, carbon Mavic wheels. All for $30 AUD a day. Very happy with my decision to join the RCC(rental being the main reason why I joined).

rustychisel
09-13-2017, 06:21 PM
Good news then, cuz Sinny is not a great place to ride.

wallymann
09-13-2017, 08:47 PM
I've read that it's because we ride on the right in the states. you can signal with your left hand while safely slowing the rear with your right. hence why moto routing is popular in countries where they ride on the left

This is true.