PDA

View Full Version : Corsa sidewalls

Ciavete
09-11-2017, 08:39 PM
Greetings Paceliners.

I'm finding the newish Corsa sidewalls much more fragile than the Open Pave.

Your results may vary (hopefully).

Cheers.

fogrider
09-12-2017, 12:29 AM
I got a flat and couldn't figure it out. I put some sealant in and the hole is in the sidewall. I had leaned the bike on some bushes...

Dead Man
09-12-2017, 12:52 AM
Eh... Paves have turned out to be the second least durable Roubaix-style tire I've ever ridden... I don't even want to know how many I've thrown away with less than 500 miles on 'em. I remember cleaning out my garage last year, and I had so many ripped off low-miles green stripes piled up in the driveway to take to the dump I actually took a pic (which I'd post..... but, photobucket)

I do still love 'em, thanks to Ribble pricing.. They do ride nice. just till you cut 'em.

Haven't tried the new Corsas yet... but I don't see how they could possibly be worse than Paves.

Ciavete
09-12-2017, 09:08 AM
First flat: some debris kicked-up and went right through the sidewall. Almost new tire.

Second flat: Misjudged turn, rear wheel locked for a micro-second and slid a bit to avoid an oncoming Porsche. Two blocks later, flat.

Nice and supple but too delicate.

torquer
09-12-2017, 09:31 AM
I pulled out my race wheels and noticed a several-inch long scuffing of the sidewall on a Corsa G following a high-speed crash. Can I apply anything to the sidewall, or is this tire trashed? I won't be racing on it, but hate to toss a tire with at most one or two hundred miles use.

Mzilliox
09-12-2017, 09:36 AM
I will most certainly flat now today, but ill toss this out there.

I have not flatted a corsa tire yet. my driveway is 3/4 mile of 3/4 minus gravel. My roads are crap. My wife has been commuting on 25mm corsas for almost 6 months. I have been riding a pair of 28s on one wheelset and 25s on another and no cuts. I have had 4 riding partners flat with me this summer, no flats for this guy.

so ive got at least 1k on mine with no flats

Dead Man
09-12-2017, 09:40 AM
I pulled out my race wheels and noticed a several-inch long scuffing of the sidewall on a Corsa G following a high-speed crash. Can I apply anything to the sidewall, or is this tire trashed? I won't be racing on it, but hate to toss a tire with at most one or two hundred miles use.

if the sidewall is just scratched, its probably fine.. and you can wipe some aquaseal on there to reseal the sidewall fibers. If you've got threads cut and frayed out, you'll probably need to boot it - if tubular, more effort than it's worth.. but simple if open. And if it's actually CUT, such that tube is starting or is already bulging out.. I mean, I guess you could still boot it, but I'd ****-can it.

adampaiva
09-12-2017, 09:49 AM
another knock on wood, but have about a month of riding Corsa G+ 28 mm commuting in NYC 15 miles a day and haven't flatted yet. Fingers crossed.
Long shot if anyone has a single tire 25 mm width they'd like to sell, get in touch.

dbh
09-12-2017, 09:53 AM
I've commuted for 1k miles on Boston's potholed and glass strewn roads this year on 25mm Corsa clinchers. Narry a flat. Your results may vary.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

torquer
09-12-2017, 10:12 AM
if the sidewall is just scratched, its probably fine.. and you can wipe some aquaseal on there to reseal the sidewall fibers.
Thanks, that was what I was looking for. No damage to the threads (but I'll check again), just abrasion of the rubbery outer coating.