PDA

View Full Version : The Art of Bicycling

weisan
09-11-2017, 07:31 PM
I felt that some of my pals here are overthinking when it comes to enjoying the benefits of biking. We seek opinions on a bike or a build as if we are asking for approval or permission from others before we proceed. We approach it like we are painting a mona lisa. The bike is such a simple machine and it can exist in so many different forms yet accomplishing more or less the same goals. One doesn't have to sink in a lot of money or get the "best in class" before they can start enjoying the sport. I know I didn't. I have been riding for the last 35 years, and I have bikes in my garage that come in various configurations, sizes, $$, level of components, and yet they all fulfill their intended purposes. Like many, I have benefited from the wealth and the quality of knowledge and information that are shared here in this community but never have I allowed myself to be shackled down by anyone's opinion. Just because so and so said this, doesn't mean it's always true. There might be exceptions or an alternative viewpoint. I mean, I do listen and value the advice and suggestions given but I like to keep an open mind and more importantly, I like to experiment and try it out for myself before I make up my mind.

The bike is an amazingly simple machine.
Cycling is fun.
If we can keep it that way, even if professional cycling or the big name companies like Trek or Specialized disappear from the face of the earth tomorrow, cycling will endure.
:p

dustyrider
09-11-2017, 08:50 PM
There's folks that like using the stuff they buy and some that like buying the stuff they use. It's all in how you like to play the game. Our differences really shouldn't divide us because they make our community much more rich.

As far as cycling being anything but fun, that's just crazy talk. :p

Tickdoc
09-11-2017, 09:01 PM
Had a similar thought today sitting at a stoplight watching an old dude on a hybrid cruiser going by at a merry clip.

What a wonderful contraption.

jghall
09-11-2017, 09:11 PM
Amen to that. Thought the overall premise is to get people out, enjoy the air, wind in the hair, hopefully improve life, maybe get more fit(me absolutely included in that group), and just enjoy the benefits of cycling. Getting cynical in my old age.