PDA

View Full Version : Buying a tandem, maybe. Clueless.

makoti
09-11-2017, 05:10 PM
I'm starting to seriously look at getting a tandem for GF & me. I looked at this one on CL, and it looks good to me, but it is older (~2005). I'm not sure what to even look for.
It has 26" wheels. I'd rather 700's, but should I care that much?
Too old for disc brakes. Are the ones it has good ones? Would converting to disc be a total PITA? Even worth it? The Avid Drag, as I understand it, is to scrub speed off long descents.
And the "independent coasting system". It sounds like a good idea. Is it in practice? I've only ridden one tandem. Really enjoyed it, but it was 20 years ago & a very cheap bike even then.
Not sure if anything will come of this, but any guidance from tandem riders would be great.
I saw the one listed in the classifieds, but even older & the 165 cranks seem really short.

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/bik/d/tandem-bike-davinci/6301059464.html

summilux
09-11-2017, 05:25 PM
I'm not sure what an"independent coasting' system is but it doesn't sound like a good idea if it means that the stoker can coast while the captain works. Our tandem has conventional V-brakes and they work just fine for us but the tandem is just used for recreational riding, nothing too fast and no loaded touring.

CNY rider
09-11-2017, 05:45 PM
That's a lot of scratch to blow trying one out.
And that bike is, as the owner says, "unique" in many ways, not all necessarily good.
I would be patient and I bet you can pick one up for $1000 or less.
I got my family started on tandem riding with one I found here in the classifieds. We loved it and now we even have a triple.
Who knows if you are going to like it?
Can you go to a local tandem rally, sometimes they have bikes there for people to try out?

madencbm
09-11-2017, 06:08 PM
I would suggest that you NOT just look for the cheapest used tandem available and go out and buy it. You could end up with a poor fit and mechanical issues that would turn you off to tandems for good. If there is a local bike shop that sells tandems I would going there and do some test riding. This will also allow the both of you to come home and evaluate how compatible the two of you are riding together. I can understand that money may be a factor in the purchase but there are some benefits to newer tandems and you could better evaulate an appropriate tradeoff between cost and value. In any case take your time, the more exposure you have with test riding and talking to others the better.

FlashUNC
09-11-2017, 06:26 PM
Tandems are like trips to Ikea, they usually cause a break-up.

makoti
09-11-2017, 06:27 PM
And that bike is, as the owner says, "unique" in many ways, not all necessarily good.

So what do you see here that might be a problem?
I agree that that's still a fair amount of cash for something that might not work. Hadn't thought about checking out any rallys. I'll give that a look. I don't know of any shops that sell them & since I'm looking at used, I'd feel bad using them as a test kitchen with no intention of buying the food, but I used to own a store, so I may be overly sensitive to stuff like that.

pinkshogun
09-11-2017, 06:39 PM
Good deals can be had on good tandems. my buddy bought a Burley from the 90's for $200, originally it was about $1200

i picked up a very decent Univega 1990's tandem for $100. It needed the correct seatposts and some tweaking but its very light compared the vintage Schwinn tandem I had earlier this year

radsmd
09-11-2017, 06:40 PM
Depending on your sizing, I might have a comotion that may work for you. Will PM you.

adub
09-11-2017, 06:43 PM
tandems are like trips to ikea, they usually cause a break-up.

lol!!

bikinchris
09-11-2017, 06:46 PM
DaVinci is a high quality tandem. This bike is a low end hybrid style version. 26 inch wheels are much stronger than 700c and with a tandem, that is a plus for heavy riders. You wouldn't buy this bike to scorch up the local ride. You buy it for much more relaxed rides.

Independent coasting can cause a serious fight. Tandems are already relationship accelerators, that just makes it worse.

CNY rider
09-11-2017, 06:47 PM
So what do you see here that might be a problem?
I agree that that's still a fair amount of cash for something that might not work. Hadn't thought about checking out any rallys. I'll give that a look. I don't know of any shops that sell them & since I'm looking at used, I'd feel bad using them as a test kitchen with no intention of buying the food, but I used to own a store, so I may be overly sensitive to stuff like that.

1. Do you really need to pay for couplers?
2. How "unique" is the drivetrain? Who is going to be able to service it?
3. Really nice used tandems often go for $1000 or less.

54ny77
09-11-2017, 06:56 PM
rent one first.

then rent it a couple more times just to make sure.

ask me how i know.

regularguy412
09-11-2017, 07:01 PM
rent one first.

ask me how i know.

This is good advice. My daughter's mom didn't ride ours much with me. My daughter DID ride lots with me from the time she was 7 years old to about 9 years old. Her longest ride was 37 miles.

So, yes, rent one or borrow one a few times... just to be sure. It'll help with fit, too.

Mike in AR:beer:

makoti
09-11-2017, 07:09 PM
DaVinci is a high quality tandem. This bike is a low end hybrid style version. 26 inch wheels are much stronger than 700c and with a tandem, that is a plus for heavy riders. You wouldn't buy this bike to scorch up the local ride. You buy it for much more relaxed rides.

Independent coasting can cause a serious fight. Tandems are already relationship accelerators, that just makes it worse.

We wouldn't be a heavy team, I wouldn't think. Less than 310 between us. Not sure we'd need stronger wheels.

1. Do you really need to pay for couplers?
2. How "unique" is the drivetrain? Who is going to be able to service it?
3. Really nice used tandems often go for $1000 or less.

1) No, but I have an S&S bike already, so not a problem
2) See? That's a worry. I never heard of it before today. According to the Great Google, some love it, some hate it. It appears to be better for pairs of mismatched riders, skill wise. That, again, isn't really us.
3) I want one of those.

Thanks guys. Great advice, as usual. This place has cost me a fortune, but it has saved me one, too. ;)

thwart
09-11-2017, 07:37 PM
rent one first.

ask me how i know.

I'd second that emotion.

weisan
09-11-2017, 07:44 PM
Clueless? Perfect place to start.

This piece of "junk" had been in the family for over 10 years. Won it new on ebay for $50 (1 bid) and cost $100 to ship. Every one of the six children have sat on it, guests who were visiting have jumped on it. If I can record all the silly conversations, giggle and laughter of the people while they were on it, it will become the best seller.

http://alicehui.com/bike/tandem/autobike.jpg

Bradford
09-11-2017, 08:08 PM
Buying our tandem was one of the best things we ever did. We went to Wheelworks and rode a few. One, a popular brand, was awful and rode like loaded U Haul. Then we rode a Co-Motion, which felt like a nice bike.. We bought the Co-Motion and it still ride 13 years later, although I'm on my 3rd stoker: my wife, then my son, and now my 7 year old daughter.

Tandems are great, beyond great really. But not all are created equally, and getting the wrong ride will likely be the difference between using it and selling it in a couple of years, so ride a few first.

We have V brakes and a drag brake that uses a bar end set to friction. I got the Tandem up to 55 one day, then the wife made me buy the drag brake soon after, now I keep it under 35. V brakes are fine, but they V brakes alone will over heat a rim on a long decent, so you will need a drag brake if you ride in the mountains. Hills are fine with V brakes, but long, steep decents are too much. But even with disks the roters can warp, so I'm not sure how much better that is.

I'm indifferent about the coasting system, but suspect it will lead to more work for the captain. My wife would have liked that, but I think it is better to turn the pedals together.

You also need to know how to keep your stoker happy. Call out all bumps, don't fart without warning, don't go over the stoker's speed limit, only get out of the saddle on a "1, 2, 3, up" count...and when your stoker says ease up or "I'm done," listen and obey.

makoti
09-11-2017, 08:18 PM
You also need to know how to keep your stoker happy. Call out all bumps, don't fart without warning, don't go over the stoker's speed limit, only get out of the saddle on a "1, 2, 3, up" count...and when your stoker says ease up or "I'm done," listen and obey.

Thanks for all that, but this last part I suspect is key. The one & only time I rode a tandem, I captained (sp?) for a blind woman. She owned the tandem, but obviously only rode when she could get a captain. The first 5 miles took some adjusting, but we did something like 50 and it was really fun. She told me afterwards that she had never been as comfortable as quick on it as she was with me. Made me feel good & gives me hope I won't muck this up. Much. ;)

carpediemracing
09-11-2017, 08:43 PM
Before the Missus and I got married I bought us a tandem, and told her flat out that this was basically a relationship test.

We ended up loving riding the tandem. She'd prep it, wheel it out, and having it waiting for me when I got home from work so we could ride it just a bit longer.

We did maybe an hour in a 4 turn block stopping at the 4 stop signs, going again. We got a Thudbuster shock post (best thing ever, period, for a tandem).

A stiffer frame makes captaining a bit easier. Even a Cannondale like we have feels like a noodle at times. I can't imagine a bendy frame.

Disc brakes are nice.

Make sure contact points match to single bike, so same pedals, saddle, and similar bar position.

If you put location in your profile someone may offer to lend you theirs. Folks that like their tandems want to share their passion.

Finally anything that allows a disconnect between the captain and stoker (independent coasting, brake lever in rear) is usually a bad thing. We did a tandem-only ride (somehow got invited to one, didn't know anyone) and they were joking how they know if a tandem couple will make it or not. The most obvious thing was a brake lever on the stoker's bar. Guaranteed the couple would split up, according to them.

Tandems require a lot of cooperation, a lot of compromise. I never put the 55T on the tandem because the Missus's comfortable speed limit on a descent was 35-38 mph. On the flats though we once hit about 49 mph as she didn't mind sprinting that fast. They're fun though. I just reminded the Missus we haven't ridden the tandem in a while, since Junior was born. Time seems to get away from us.

Bostic
09-11-2017, 09:12 PM
That Tandem is way way overpriced. I bought a new Cannondale Road Tandem 2 in Jan 2012 for just under 3 grand. Granted, it was a closeout but still. It's been an awesome investment, but rent first or ride one beforehand. Where ever you are in your relationship, a Tandem will get you there faster for good or bad. We test road a Cannondale Mountain tandem and were won over so I grabbed that Medium/Small road tandem at another store before the sold out.

I prefer to ride the Tandem over my single bikes but I realize my wife is not at the same level of "must bike" as I am. For me, it's exponentially harder, not just double. You will feel every single percent grade of difference on the road. Once you start descending, it's like a roller coaster. We have dual discs with large 203mm Rotors. I'd love to test a really light Calfee or Paketa just to see the difference. Our Cannondale is 38lbs.

zennmotion
09-11-2017, 09:56 PM
Our wedding limo was a tandem, which saved us a bundle- enough for a sizable deposit on our Burley that we still ride 15yrs later :banana:

The advice on the thudbuster seatpost is sound- the stoker's spine is directly over the rear hub and they take a lot of shocks especially since they can't see the bumps coming. Ours has a softride beam- fugly but it works a treat, especially for my petite 105lb wife. Unfortunately I don't they're made anymore, too bad and the only application for the beam that ever made sense. If tandeming sucks it's the pilot's fault. Always. Pace, cadence, distance, stand up/ sit down should always be her choice, you'll soon learn to anticipate. Cadence will be slower, especially when a relative novice is on the back- get used to it, the pilot needs to adapt. For us, tandem rides are social affairs, definitely get a rack and a trunk bag big enough for a bottle of wine and a picnic, don't worry, you'll still get your workout while you take time to smell the flowers :cool: Take it easy in traffic, your comfort distance from cars (or other riders) may be different than hers. Articulate your intentions at intersections and such, and ride conservatively- she has to trust you, and there's nothing worse than when the pilot decides to speed through an intersection and the stoker decides to stop- scary.:help: So talk. Our tandem allows me more guilt-free ride time and we both love it. And BTW, they're great on gravel roads, they handle better than singles IMO.

As far as setup and equipment, if you have cables, bar end shifters rule- extra long cables stretch more, I switched from brifters and it made life easier. A size or two wider handlebar in front than your normal road bike makes for better steering on a heavy feeling front end. Softer saddles than your road bike(s) too, you sit more and tend to move around less. Put the computer/garmin/cue sheets on the back so the stoker can navigate. It's really great up front to get turn by turn directions without having to look down. If you ride MUPs get a bell. A real loud bell, tandems can freak pedestrians out, it's like being passed by a semi, so take it easy and give warning. Panaracer TourGuard 37c's are our go-to tires for both pavement and gravel, we only have one set of wheels, overkill for pavement, but still plenty fast and great on gravel- but pump them up! (we use 50-60psi on gravel, flats really suck on a tandem rear wheel with a drum brake)

Looking at Ebay, there are several Santana's that look really nice at a much better price than the OP's craiglist link. Shipping is a pain and expensive, but if the seller is willing... This one looks really nice for example (if it fits) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Santana-Noventa-Tandem-M-Front-S-Rear-Excellent-Condition-/152698064728?hash=item238d838f58:g:xuQAAOSwd~RZUGi S

Tandem Rider
09-12-2017, 12:44 AM
You've gotten a lot of good advice here. Independent coasting would be a nightmare for us. Think about it, you position pedals to facilitate easing over bumps, cornering, starting from a stop etc. Hold out for a better performing tandem. Santana, CoMotion, Cannondale, etc. If you can test ride several and THEN find one with a Softride beam, buy it you will be a hero. We have one on our gravel/touring tandem and it sees the most miles, MrsTR swears by it.
We have brifters on all 3 of ours, work fine if you keep good cables on it. Remember, tandems eat parts. Tires, chains, brake pads, and cables all wear rapidly, I keep spares on hand and buy in advance. Keep fresh tires on it, use the slightly worn tires on your single. Run your tires about 15-20% higher pressure than your single because pinch flats suck.

pdmtong
09-12-2017, 01:36 AM
Buy the CHEAPEST cannondale road tandem you can find...def <$1,000

go ride...

if you like the idea....THEN sell it for something less...think of the "loss" as your extended rental/trial fee

then go look for some thing nicer.

as for tandems...yes have some experience
http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697912371&d=1451161813

marciero
09-12-2017, 07:33 AM
That DaVinci is too "unique". I would strongly discourage getting something with independent pedaling. In my mind it detracts from the whole experience, is heavy, inefficient, problematic when cornering, etc. Look on the tandem forums. The teams using this are a very small minority, and typically are teams where the stoker is more a passenger. Do you want 26" with flat bars? If you want a road bike with drop bars, this aint it. The couplers are nice but add expense, and it sounds you are in the "trying out" phase. Will you want to fly with this bike? So makes sense to buy something cheaper. I've seen plenty of older Cannondales for under $1200, or Comotions for $2000. I would advocate spending more on a bike if you are certain you are going to like tandeming and you have a clear idea of what you want.

carpediemracing
09-12-2017, 08:45 AM
That Tandem is way way overpriced. I bought a new Cannondale Road Tandem 2 in Jan 2012 for just under 3 grand. Granted, it was a closeout but still. It's been an awesome investment, but rent first or ride one beforehand. Where ever you are in your relationship, a Tandem will get you there faster for good or bad. We test road a Cannondale Mountain tandem and were won over so I grabbed that Medium/Small road tandem at another store before the sold out.

I prefer to ride the Tandem over my single bikes but I realize my wife is not at the same level of "must bike" as I am. For me, it's exponentially harder, not just double. You will feel every single percent grade of difference on the road. Once you start descending, it's like a roller coaster. We have dual discs with large 203mm Rotors. I'd love to test a really light Calfee or Paketa just to see the difference. Our Cannondale is 38lbs.

+1 on the Cannondale.

We have a 2006 Cannondale road tandem, same size even. Basically stock, Shimano 9s drivetrain, discs. We changed out contact points (saddles, bars), added the Thudbuster, and put Campy 10s levers on for me (no other changes necessary to work with Shimano drivetrain). Closer ratio cassette. Done.

zap
09-12-2017, 08:53 AM
Go to Larry Blacks shop in Mt Airy MD http://www.bike123.com/ and test tandems. Great area to ride.

Do this first.

Wife and I have been riding road tandems for some time now. Did some TT's but mostly fast riding (with singles) in MD and VA and now in NC.

Our tandems are setup similar to our singles. Types of brakes depends on terrain - flat to rolling rim brakes are the best.....hilly to mountains disc due to safety. We just recommissioned our 24 year old CoMo Double E with rim brakes and gosh, that thing tracks like a slot car and rim brakes are fantastic.

700.........no question.

No suspension seatpost for us...........my wife would smack me on the back of my head if I mention it. Every so often I screw up and don't catch a big bump in time. She can feel the front wheel smack a hole and lift off the saddle a bit just as the rear wheel hits hard.

Now, call Larry to see what he has in stock...........

GregL
09-12-2017, 09:15 AM
Lots of great advice in this thread! My $0.02 based on ten years of tandem cycling with my wife (plus a few rides with my daughter and a blind athlete):

- Rule No. 1: the stoker is always right. If the stoker is wrong, refer to rule #1. Your tandem ride will never be pleasant if the person on the back is not enjoying the ride.

- Maintain your tandem meticulously. Nothing imparts fear to the stoker more than a sketchy bike which they have no control over. Braking, shifting, tires and wheels should be in excellent working order. Tandem braking and shifting can and should work perfectly. Brake/shift levers are better than separate controls because they allow the captain to keep his/her hands on the handlebars at nearly all times. Quality cables and installation will ensure good operation. I like Jagwire Road Pro cable sets.

- Ride like you are chauffeuring the most important VIP in the world - because you are! Safety is everything when it comes to stoker confidence. That means being extra careful at intersections, on wet corners, and on fast downhills (just to name a few places). That doesn't mean you have to ride in a slow, boring manner. Once your stoker is confident in you, you may find that you ride faster and corner more "sportingly" than you ever imagined. My wife has actually encouraged me to contest town line sprints on our tandem, and she loves to drop single bikes who can't corner as fast as our tandem...

Bottom line: tandem cycling can be a blast! It will take a while to acquire skills and confidence, but it's well worth the investment of your time.

Greg

PeregrineA1
09-12-2017, 09:19 AM
I've got a friend with a Santana Visa that is for sale. Nice bike. Used to be mine. I'm sure it could be had for well under a grand. In OC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drmojo
09-12-2017, 10:22 AM
best for buying and selling tandems
great deals
no need for couplers unless flying it around alot

zennmotion
09-12-2017, 10:39 AM
+1 for Larry Black's shop/ Mt. Airy bikes in MD. Also Tandems East in NJ- both East Coast shops but worth a trip if you can or a phone conversation if you can't. Tandems and tandem riding is unique and different enough from singles that it's worth seeking out a specialist shop if you can- both these shops have trial day events once or twice a year where you can test ride a lot of bikes in an afternoon, including used models. They would be good for advice and parts on setting up a used tandem as well. They hold value well (compared with singles anyway) but deals can be found as a result of relentless technology and fallout from bad relationship juju, or kids growing up to ride their own bikes. Don't get anything too cheap though- a noodly tandem that doesn't shift well or, worse, doesn't brake well is not a good experience anywhere except maybe as a beach cruiser- forget the vintage Schwinns and cheap crap chinese junk on Ebay if you want a real tandem experience. And there's no such thing as a too-stiff tandem frame- they twist, get a stiff frame together with cushy tires, saddles and (maybe) a suspension seatpost.

makoti
09-12-2017, 11:13 AM
I've got a friend with a Santana Visa that is for sale. Nice bike. Used to be mine. I'm sure it could be had for well under a grand. In OC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need to clarify, I think. I updated my profile to show this, but I am in Virginia. The CL ad was from SD area, but for a coupled bike with cases, that shouldn't be an issue. I'd be interested in a bike from where ever it is, but sadly OC (unless that's Ocean City) isn't local.

zap
09-12-2017, 11:33 AM
edit

And there's no such thing as a too-stiff tandem frame- they twist, get a stiff frame together with cushy tires, saddles and (maybe) a suspension seatpost.

Back when we tested tandems we found the Cannondale to be fairly stiff riding. Tires need to be pumped to correct psi for best performance otherwise the handling goes to pot. Tandem Rider is correct, about 15-20% higher psi than road single.

Remember, two cyclists sprinting (or cornering hard) all out (or a little) on a tandem puts a lot of pressure on those 2 tires.

So a tandem frame (just like a single) should not be too stiff for given strength/weight/riding style of the team.

54ny77
09-12-2017, 11:54 AM
Thanks.

Here's a photo of my tandem, because I don't do anything with it other than look at it or post pictures of it.

Actually I take that back, I do have a couple of power cords hanging from the handlebars, which is quite convenient, and at times it will hold dry cleaning as well. The bullnose stoker bars work great in that capacity while the bike is hung vertically. :rolleyes:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697945028&stc=1&d=1503583166

I'd second that emotion.

thwart
09-12-2017, 12:18 PM
https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697945028&stc=1&d=1503583166

That is, without a doubt, the sexiest clothes hanger I've ever seen. ;)

... well, at least that wasn't a treadmill or a NordicTrack.

sjbraun
09-12-2017, 01:22 PM
We have the same model Santana. 20 years ago it cost $5k. It's a steel frame, so it's going to last
This one has some upgrades, so the price seems reasonable.

Our has a disc brake in the rear. The original hydraulic disc brake was a nightmare, so we switched to a mechanical disc (BB7) and haven't looked back

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Santana-Noventa-Tandem-M-Front-S-Rear-Excellent-Condition-/152698064728?hash=item238d838f58:g:xuQAAOSwd~RZUGi S[/QUOTE]

smead
09-12-2017, 02:25 PM
Keep looking! That is crazily overpriced IMHO, and I really don't think you want the independent crank. You can find a quality road tandem for a grand if you are patient. For example, a few years ago I picked up a mint Cdale RT3000 with full ultegra and quality wheels for that price range. Be patient, find one that fits. Discs are not a big need unless you plan to do some serious descents.

I'm starting to seriously look at getting a tandem for GF & me. I looked at this one on CL, and it looks good to me, but it is older (~2005). I'm not sure what to even look for.
It has 26" wheels. I'd rather 700's, but should I care that much?
Too old for disc brakes. Are the ones it has good ones? Would converting to disc be a total PITA? Even worth it? The Avid Drag, as I understand it, is to scrub speed off long descents.
And the "independent coasting system". It sounds like a good idea. Is it in practice? I've only ridden one tandem. Really enjoyed it, but it was 20 years ago & a very cheap bike even then.
Not sure if anything will come of this, but any guidance from tandem riders would be great.
I saw the one listed in the classifieds, but even older & the 165 cranks seem really short.

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/bik/d/tandem-bike-davinci/6301059464.html

Liberace
09-12-2017, 02:52 PM
Thanks.

Here's a photo of my tandem, because I don't do anything with it other than look at it or post pictures of it.

Actually I take that back, I do have a couple of power cords hanging from the handlebars, which is quite convenient, and at times it will hold dry cleaning as well. The bullnose stoker bars work great in that capacity while the bike is hung vertically. :rolleyes:

Beautiful bike. Sorry it doesn't get used on the road. Are you looking to sell?

54ny77
09-12-2017, 03:10 PM
Thanks. Not yet. Don't *need* to sell, but at some point might *want* to sell. It was full custom (I'm 5'9" and wife's around 5'5") and an anniversary gift, although about as well received as a socket set. At least the parts are all brand new and will last for years. So even though it sits, it'll still be plenty modern once it actually turns a pedal with the two of us on it. Am hoping that happens next spring, although I've been saying that now for a long time.....:mad: I just pump up the tires now & then while it hangs. Sadly, the tires have actually dried out since I first mounted them.

Beautiful bike. Sorry it doesn't get used on the road. Are you looking to sell?

makoti
09-12-2017, 03:29 PM
Zap & Zenmotion...
I was thinking about Larry, actually. I know he used to do tandem tryout rides from the Mt Airy location, so that would be a good stop. Does he still have anything to do with the College Park location, or is it just Mt Airy? CP would be closer, but not sure I'd want to test ride anything around there. I bought rollers from him about a million years ago. He gave me a no hands, one-legged demonstration of how it's done. I never managed to replicate that. ;)

And you guys have talked me out of the CL bike. I was wondering if the independent coasting thing was a good idea or not & the consensus seems to be no. I'll keep looking. Don't want to buy crap, so all of this is a huge help.
Oh, and 54ny77... I'm about 5'9". Could always use more closet space. Just sayin... :)

zap
09-12-2017, 04:52 PM
The College Park shop has been "for sale" for a long time but I have not seen Larry in at least 2 years so no clue if it's still his.

You don't want to do your first tandem ride in College Park.

54ny77
09-12-2017, 05:05 PM
Thanks Makoti, perhaps ping me in the spring, I might be convinced to fish or cut bait with it.

It was a lot of fun to put together, and if my wife actually got interested in tandem riding (I'd put odds of that happening at 100:1), I'd be cool with doing it all over again on something new or different. Or maybe I'll just buy her a nice new set of torque wrenches for our next anniversary instead....

I doubt Tsunami's making 'em anymore, in fact I don't know if Joe's still in business.

Zap & Zenmotion...
I was thinking about Larry, actually. I know he used to do tandem tryout rides from the Mt Airy location, so that would be a good stop. Does he still have anything to do with the College Park location, or is it just Mt Airy? CP would be closer, but not sure I'd want to test ride anything around there. I bought rollers from him about a million years ago. He gave me a no hands, one-legged demonstration of how it's done. I never managed to replicate that. ;)

And you guys have talked me out of the CL bike. I was wondering if the independent coasting thing was a good idea or not & the consensus seems to be no. I'll keep looking. Don't want to buy crap, so all of this is a huge help.
Oh, and 54ny77... I'm about 5'9". Could always use more closet space. Just sayin... :)

zennmotion
09-12-2017, 07:02 PM
Zap & Zenmotion...

I have no idea what's happening in CP- though that is where I bought our tandem back in '99. Even if Larry still has CP bikes in any case there's a much bigger inventory at Mount Airy, and it's not too far. Neither is Tandems East for that matter, I really like those folks as well, I'd go as far as to say the best tandem shop in the country.

carpediemracing
09-13-2017, 09:04 PM
I doubt Tsunami's making 'em anymore, in fact I don't know if Joe's still in business.

I think he sort of is, if that's an answer.

marciero
09-14-2017, 05:51 AM
To echo GregL's remarks-yes, it's all about trust. My stoker descends SO cautiously on her single bike that I was afraid she would not tolerate any speed on descents. But eventually she got acclimated and enjoys the speed. I know it would only take one mistake to blow the trust though. Keep the stoker happy! If I say something that upsets her all of a sudden it's like running on 3 cylinders.

On suspension seatposts-lots of discussion on the google groups forum on this. Some racer-types with Calfees say they dont need them. The first time we rode our Cannondale it had 700 x 25 Gatorskin tires at 100psi and no suspension seat post and my stoker said it was fine. Now the same bike has thudbuster and 650b x 47 tires with pressure in the mid-high 40's, and my stoker has become an expert in tire pressure, commenting on tires being too hard or soft.