PDA

View Full Version : Here I become Arione, the destroyer of bibs...

LJohnny
09-11-2017, 10:09 AM
To paraphrase Oppenheimer... a bit blasphemous, apologies.

I have an Arione saddle in one of my bikes and I love it, really brings the fit of the bike altogether. It feels great for long rides and has great support. Having said that, this saddle really does a number on the bibs. Start with pilling and evolves pretty much into destruction in the contact area with the "channels" on the side. The specific model I have has 3 longer slits that go into the top of the saddle. Anyone with an Arione saddles dealing with this? I wish Fizik would modify this or do away with them. Lovely saddle otherwise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FlashUNC
09-11-2017, 10:20 AM
Got three Arione CX and one of the new R1s. No problems. Their Kurve on the other hand...

benb
09-11-2017, 10:34 AM
I have had this problem on saddles in the past (not Arione) and currently (last 2 years) ride Ariones without any issues.

I would perhaps suggest there is something else going on with your pedal stroke, clean position, etc.. that is causing lateral movement across the "wing flex" things. The Wing Flex things mostly seem dumb to me, but not annoying enough to make me switch saddles. The idea is good but they should get rid of the cutouts in the leather and just continue doing whatever they're doing to the shell underneath.

In any case you can get these wear issues on shorts even on perfectly smooth saddles if your pedal stroke is causing lateral movements or you're sitting off center.

LJohnny
09-11-2017, 10:35 AM
Do they have the 3 longer slits?
Like this one:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170911/41fd858b6a106d212f8c5cc8af35d0ed.jpg

LJohnny
09-11-2017, 10:39 AM
I have had this problem on saddles in the past (not Arione) and currently (last 2 years) ride Ariones without any issues.

I would perhaps suggest there is something else going on with your pedal stroke, clean position, etc.. that is causing lateral movement across the "wing flex" things. The Wing Flex things mostly seem dumb to me, but not annoying enough to make me switch saddles. The idea is good but they should get rid of the cutouts in the leather and just continue doing whatever they're doing to the shell underneath.

In any case you can get these wear issues on shorts even on perfectly smooth saddles if your pedal stroke is causing lateral movements or you're sitting off center.

That's an interesting proposition. Perhaps time to dust off the rollers and work on pedaling form.

I do have to say that the worst cases do correlate with hilly rides, may be more friction during pedaling strokes

DarkStar
09-11-2017, 12:51 PM
Same issue, Arione saddle is shredding the crotch my Zoic off-road shorts. May last another season before I have to toss them:mad: