PDA

View Full Version : QS shifter with DA front? Shimergo question...

phcollard
09-11-2017, 09:45 AM
I will convert one of my bikes to Shimergo 8 speed. I already have a complete DA 7700 group, a Sram 8 speed cassette and I just purchased a set of Chorus QS 10 speed shifters.

I read over the weekend about Quickshift and in the end I'm not sure it's going to work nicely with my DA front. That's for a double setup. Anybody with first hand experience can confirm/comment?

FlashUNC
09-11-2017, 09:59 AM
It should be fine. I've used campy shifters with all sorts of front derailleurs with no issue.

jemdet
09-11-2017, 10:11 AM
I've done exactly that combination before. Campy ergos are like ratcheting friction shifters. Almost. Here's the ratcheting wheel inside a left ergo:

https://en.hollandbikeshop.com/img/prod/campagnolo-ergo-power-ratchet-left-ec-re414-283584-0-l.jpg

Each of those detents is a position across the spectrum that the front derailleur could be shifted to.

For Shimano STIs, imagine that ratchet wheel only having 3 or 4 detents. They place a heavy emphasis on mating FDs and front STIs so that your chain will end up in the right location for each of those shifting positions.

oldpotatoe
09-11-2017, 12:41 PM
I will convert one of my bikes to Shimergo 8 speed. I already have a complete DA 7700 group, a Sram 8 speed cassette and I just purchased a set of Chorus QS 10 speed shifters.

I read over the weekend about Quickshift and in the end I'm not sure it's going to work nicely with my DA front. That's for a double setup. Anybody with first hand experience can confirm/comment?

It'll work just fine with that front der. 'QS' was more marketing than actual function.

phcollard
09-24-2017, 06:40 PM
Thanks all for your replies.

I'm happy to report that this setup works perfectly :banana:

It shifts very, very well, and the whole build feels solid. I'm a Shimergo fan now!

oldpotatoe
09-24-2017, 09:43 PM

The levers will work fine with that der. 'QS' was more marketing than anything..little more movement with lever movement but they work with any front der.

DOH....read the posts!!!

Shoeman
09-24-2017, 09:52 PM
I've used a Chorus 10s front shifter with a DA 7400 fd & it worked just fine.

xnetter
09-25-2017, 12:58 PM
Thanks all for your replies.

I'm happy to report that this setup works perfectly :banana:

It shifts very, very well, and the whole build feels solid. I'm a Shimergo fan now!

So does the QS require only one click to upshift on the front? Does it require much trimming?

I'm running a 10spd Record Ultrashift/9spd Shimano variant of Shimergo using the Hubbub method and the front requires multiple clicks (like, 4-5) to shift a double chainring. Mildly annoying - but on the bright side, I can trim the FD cage to perfection. I'm using a DA 7400 FD.

Other than that, I really like the quality of shifting from the Shimergo setup. Much smoother than the standard 9spd Ultegra drivetrain I previously had!

KJ

oldpotatoe
09-25-2017, 02:17 PM
So does the QS require only one click to upshift on the front? Does it require much trimming?

I'm running a 10spd Record Ultrashift/9spd Shimano variant of Shimergo using the Hubbub method and the front requires multiple clicks (like, 4-5) to shift a double chainring. Mildly annoying - but on the bright side, I can trim the FD cage to perfection.

Other than that, I really like the quality of shifting from the Shimergo setup. Much smoother than the standard 9spd Ultegra drivetrain I previously had!

KJ

'QS' was still a ratcheting friction type with 7 clicks. QS just made front der movement a little further per click. In actual practice QS and non worked/felt the same.

xnetter
09-25-2017, 02:27 PM
'QS' was still a ratcheting friction type with 7 clicks. QS just made front der movement a little further per click. In actual practice QS and non worked/felt the same.

Ah, OK. I always thought QS was "less friction-like" and got panned by some because it didn't provide as much flexibility/precision for different spindle lengths. Thanks for clarifying.

KJ

zennmotion
09-25-2017, 07:08 PM
I ran 8s Shimano/ Campy Centaur and Veloce 10 QS levers for years on my CX bikes. Shimano front derailleurs did work fine (Ultegra), but I found less fussy trim using a campy front derailleur which was actually low-end Mirage. The cable pull is just a little better match I think. FWIW, I also found it best to have 1 "ghost shift" at both hi and low positions rather than 2 ghost shifts at the end- the middle cassette cogs had better chain alignment.