PDA

View Full Version : Mix and match

fogrider
09-11-2017, 02:47 AM
is it ok to run a different front wheel?

we live in a world of matchy matchy bikes, Speedwagen comes to mind. but on a rough course that is not recommended for carbon rims, I'm thinking that swapping out the front wheel would do the trick...so what does the fashion police say?

Llewellyn
09-11-2017, 04:46 AM
While it would personally irritate me no end to have a different front wheel, I'm guessing that the consensus around here would be to use whatever works for you. The bike won't care.

Peter P.
09-11-2017, 06:08 AM
If a course is so rough that carbon rims wouldn't survive, then maybe carbon rims aren't as strong as the ads would have us believe. Hmmm...

Ride the carbon rims and keep the matchy-matchy going.

And by the way, no white tires after Labor Day.

fogrider
09-11-2017, 12:40 PM
I stand corrected, the issue is the long descent, carbon rims have been known to delaminate. I figure most of the braking is on the front, so going with an aluminum front wheel should do the trick...BTW, I'm asking for a friend [emoji41].

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

veggieburger
09-11-2017, 01:00 PM
Do it. I run different front and rear tires all the time, same idea. If you're going fast enough, no one will notice. :)

makoti
09-11-2017, 01:30 PM
Yes, but I wouldn't do it for the reason you're giving. If you're worried about the rims from braking, swap them both.

MesiJezi
09-11-2017, 01:46 PM
I did it... it was what I could afford at the time. In hindsight, I think it looks alright on this frame:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4337/36981802416_3fa4a46051_c.jpg

veggieburger
09-11-2017, 02:20 PM
Yes, but I wouldn't do it for the reason you're giving. If you're worried about the rims from braking, swap them both.

Agreed. From a fashion perspective (you asked the fashion police to chime in), go for it. From a practical perspective, swap em both out.

fogrider
09-12-2017, 12:20 AM
Agreed. From a fashion perspective (you asked the fashion police to chime in), go for it. From a practical perspective, swap em both out.

the thinking is that the front wheels sees 60% of the braking anyways and the rear hub/cassette needs to be adjusted when swapping. front is easy, swap wheel and brake pads.

dpk501
09-12-2017, 01:38 AM
If time trial bike wheels don't have to match...

You also have pros using mavic neutral support wheels...

performance and safety first, aesthetics later.

Peter P.
09-12-2017, 06:09 AM
OP, you're right that carbon doesn't handle the heat of braking as well as aluminum rims, causing problems with brake fade and tire blow off (clinchers). While the manufacturers have tried to address the issue, they haven't equaled aluminum rims. Some of those issues are safety related so it's understandable to be concerned.

Disc brakes are the answer to carbon rims' drawbacks.

If you're concerned on this particular ride you're considering, ride the aluminum rim for peace of mind. It'll be worth it. Just keep looking over your shoulder for the fashion police...

redir
09-12-2017, 07:29 AM
Do what ever you need to do to get on the road.

torquer
09-12-2017, 10:06 AM
Detective Torquer of FVU (Fashion Victims Unit) here:
At least one tire manufacturer insists you need different tires front and rear. (Maybe rolling in a specified direction, I'll ask the crime lab to check.)
And Zipp, among other wheel companies, used to offer (maybe still do) pairs with deeper rims in the back, shallower one in the front. We call that a mullet.
Ten-four.

Mark McM
09-12-2017, 10:37 AM
Disc brakes are the answer to carbon rims' drawbacks.

I would argue that the opposite is true - carbon (clincher) rims are the answer to disc brake drawbacks.

The main advantages of carbon rims over clinchers is weight and aerodynamics. But disc brakes are heavier and less aerodynamic than rim brakes. Therefore, adding disc brakes to carbon rim wheels negates the advantages to carbon rims.

However, disc brakes can give more consistent braking over a wider range of conditions than rim brakes - but at the cost of weight and aerodynamic drag. Carbon rims can help mitigate these two costs.

From my perspective, I can't see a situation where I'd actually choose carbon rim disc brake wheels. Most of my riding is in conditions where rim brakes are just fine. For those situations where I might find that disc brakes would be desired (mostly off-road), the conditions are apt to be gnarly enough that wouldn't want to risk breaking (expensive) carbon rims, and would probably opt for (cheaper, more robust) aluminum rims.

Mark McM
09-12-2017, 10:42 AM
At least one tire manufacturer insists you need different tires front and rear. (Maybe rolling in a specified direction, I'll ask the crime lab to check.)

For a pavement bike, what possible reason could they have for insisting on front and rear specific tires? And what evidence do they offer to back it up?

EDS
09-12-2017, 10:44 AM
I had a spoke break on my front wheel this morning. As such, I will be riding mismatching wheels for a few days until I get it fixed.