PDA

View Full Version : Question on Praxis M30 BB / Zayante Crank Installation

exapkib
09-10-2017, 03:34 PM
Working on installing this crank/bottom bracket combination on a new (to me) frame, and I feel like I've got a lot more friction in the system than I should have.

My testing methods are not the most scientific--when installed (torqued to spec, all washers and doodads in the right places/order) and spun without a chain, the crank does not really spin as much as I am used to (with Shimano and Campy 9/10 speed cranks).

Does anyone have any tips or advice on this particular crank/bottom bracket? Lots of grease in the usual places, double checked the spacers used (even the fancy 2mm spacer).

Asked at the local shop, but they didn't have any advice/experience with the Praxis parts.

Thanks!

tv_vt
09-10-2017, 03:41 PM
pull the crank and make sure it's not rubbing against the screw holding in the shifter cable guide under the BB. Happened to me. If it's rubbing, there will be marks on the crank axle. Sand down the screw or use a washer and should be good.

exapkib
09-10-2017, 04:14 PM
pull the crank and make sure it's not rubbing against the screw holding in the shifter cable guide under the BB. Happened to me. If it's rubbing, there will be marks on the crank axle. Sand down the screw or use a washer and should be good.

Good thought--I had to replace the screw when I first installed the crank because it was too long.

I just went and pulled the crank again to check the order/placement of the bearing caps. Everything matches the description.

Putting the caps on without the crank, I was able to determine that the drive-side bearing cap fits well and spins freely. The NDS cap (marked 28mm ID) does not interact well with the bearings in the bottom bracket--it doesn't spin at all. Confusing, as I ordered this piece new from Praxis for this installation. Any other experience/wisdom out there with this crank?

hollowgram5
09-10-2017, 04:27 PM

I actually did that myself. I thought maybe i had a bearing that was stuck and I spun the cranks not thinking about it. My spindle now has a silver strip in the center right in line with the guide bolt. As soon as I realized it, I unthreaded it and put a washer in but yeah.. Whoops!

I've had to go back and tighten the crankset a few times, but that was after taking things apart for cleaning and having it settle on the next ride. Quick tighten and never an issue. Besides than that I've been extremely happy with it. I look forward to buying one of their new carbon cranksets!

commonguy001
09-10-2017, 04:41 PM
I'd give praxis a call when they're open next week and see what they think. That doesn't sound right to me, I don't remember any NDS drag when I installed mine.

ahumblecycler
09-10-2017, 05:51 PM
Definitely contact Praxis - I find the customer service to be top notch!

I would also take peak at the bearing to make sure it is pressed in evenly. I wouldn't expect a new one to be not but still worth checking.

RobJ
09-10-2017, 08:26 PM
Too much drag is definitely not right, but I just installed a King BB and SRAM Force crank and it definitely does not spin as long/freely as some other cranks I have installed, namely Campy. But under load of a chain etc. it felt perfectly normal.

Let us know what hear from Praxis. I have the same combo en route from Praxis.

exapkib
09-14-2017, 07:43 PM
Fixed!

Turns out that it was a simple mistake in the dust cover kit that I bought from Praxis. One of the 2mm pieces was missing. After talking with a representative (!) on the phone (so easy!), they sent me the missing piece and I installed it today.

It's funny--before the fix, I had convinced myself that I couldn't really feel the extra drag when I was riding the bike, but after a short ride this evening on the fully operational bottom bracket I can feel a huge difference.

Very grateful to Praxis for the quick and painless help. The joys of dealing with a good company!

RobJ
09-26-2017, 09:35 AM
Fixed!

Turns out that it was a simple mistake in the dust cover kit that I bought from Praxis. One of the 2mm pieces was missing. After talking with a representative (!) on the phone (so easy!), they sent me the missing piece and I installed it today.

It's funny--before the fix, I had convinced myself that I couldn't really feel the extra drag when I was riding the bike, but after a short ride this evening on the fully operational bottom bracket I can feel a huge difference.

Very grateful to Praxis for the quick and painless help. The joys of dealing with a good company!

Any feedback on the Zayante so far?

dave thompson
09-26-2017, 10:01 AM
On recommendation from a forumite I installed a Zayante and found the best front shifting I’ve ever experienced.

RobJ
09-26-2017, 10:50 AM
On recommendation from a forumite I installed a Zayante and found the best front shifting I’ve ever experienced.

Great news thanks. I have the crank sitting here that I ended up not using on one bike, but might try on another frame that I am swapping over to eTap.

hollowgram5
09-26-2017, 10:58 AM
I would echo the sentiments about the shifting performance. I built my Koga Miyata MAX bike with the Zayante crankset and have been extremely impressed with it. I've considered buying another crankset for a different bike even.

dave thompson
09-26-2017, 11:05 AM
Great news thanks. I have the crank sitting here that I ended up not using on one bike, but might try on another frame that I am swapping over to eTap.

I’ve used Shimano since forever. The shifting performance of the Zayante really surprised me. The relative cost of the crank compared to others is also surprising. Their M30 bottom bracket seems to be the answer for the problems that have plagued BB/PF30 bottom bracket users for years.

exapkib
09-26-2017, 11:30 AM
I still don't have millions of miles on my crankset yet, but my experience lines up with those described above--really fantastic shifting performance. (Mine is part of a Chorus 11 drivetrain, by the way.)

I should also add that Praxis' customer service is top notch. Not only do real people answer the phones, but they know and ride the products your are discussing. I've never had an interaction with any customer service team that was as efficient in diagnosing the issue (not always easy over the phone) and finding a solution. Could not be happier.

commonguy001
09-26-2017, 12:34 PM
I'll echo the other two comments that shifting is real good and I also feel zero flex from that set of cranks. I didn't really think i felt it from my 6800 Ultegra they replaced but can say that back to back I think the Praxis chainset is noticeably stiffer.