PDA

View Full Version : OT - Anyone repair their own Ipad?

oldguy00
09-10-2017, 02:51 PM
So I have two original (gen 1?) Ipads in our house. Both work fine, but both have cracked screens and the metal casing is bent in a bit around the edges where they've been dropped.

Someone recently told me it was super easy to fix yourself, and parts were cheap online. I looked briefly, but found it a bit confusing as to what I need.

If I just need the front glass, am I looking for what is called the 'digitizer'? Or is the digitizer separate, and how do I know if it needs to be replaced?
Will 'gen2' be the same as what I'd need (seems easier to find)?

Thx!

retrofit
09-10-2017, 03:45 PM
IFIXIT (https://www.ifixit.com) is your friend. Just search for your particular model.

The site provides detailed text/pic repair instructions, replacement parts, and tools to do the job. I've used the site to disassemble and repair a 2007 MacBook Pro (now since retired), as well as replace batteries in various models of iPods.

zmudshark
09-10-2017, 04:33 PM
I found that repairing a gen 1 iPad gave me an excruciatingly slow iPad.

weiwentg
09-10-2017, 04:35 PM
So I have two original (gen 1?) Ipads in our house. Both work fine, but both have cracked screens and the metal casing is bent in a bit around the edges where they've been dropped.

Someone recently told me it was super easy to fix yourself, and parts were cheap online. I looked briefly, but found it a bit confusing as to what I need.

If I just need the front glass, am I looking for what is called the 'digitizer'? Or is the digitizer separate, and how do I know if it needs to be replaced?
Will 'gen2' be the same as what I'd need (seems easier to find)?

Thx!

The digitizer is (http://ipadcrackedglass.com/iPad_Digitizer_vs_LCD.html) apparently the glass layer on top of the LCD screen, and it's the thing that reads your touches and transmits them to the CPU and OS. Pretty sure you need just the digitizer.

Unfortunately, if you want to resurrect those iPads (https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad+Wi-Fi+Teardown/2183), I am pretty sure the digitizers won't be compatible with the iPad 2 (https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad+2+Wi-Fi+EMC+2415+Teardown/5071)digitizers. In iFixit's teardowns of both iPads, the internals look quite different.

At first, I was going to say that if you can repair a bike, you can likely repair your iPad. I'm reconsidering that. The wires, screws, and connectors in iPads and iPhones are pretty small. Their connectors are a lot more delicate than bike bolts.

[I've used the site to disassemble and repair a 2007 MacBook Pro (now since retired), as well as replace batteries in various models of iPods.

2007 MBPs and iPods are quite a bit less cramped inside than iPads and modern iPhones. I've upgraded the RAM and hard drive in my 2010 MBP. That was easy. The 2012 MBP is the last one, I think, when a lot of components were easily replaceable. I've also changed both digitizer (i.e. the screen) and battery in an iPhone 5. It was a lot more challenging than the MBP job due to the size of the connectors. And with the more modern devices, things are even more tightly packed in there.

The original iPad is about the same vintage as the iPhone 3g or the iPhone 4, I think. To the OP, I'd say you can likely repair it, and it will probably be easier or comparable to my iPhone 5 repairs. But there are a lot of small connections to keep track of that you wouldn't with a bike repair. There are a lot of iPhone/iPad repair shops these days, and it may be more worth it having them do the repair - they do this much more than you do. I bet you don't work on your Apple devices very often, right? Just a word of caution that I think is worth considering.

And that said, these are 2011 devices we are talking about, and the digitizers look like about $60 each. Plus you will need the little tools. And with something that old, you may want to replace the battery as well; they're rated to retain 80% of original capacity at 500 charge cycles. Maybe it's time for a new one.

But we learn by doing. You could just jump in. The stakes are lower than if you were trying to change the battery or screen on a more modern iPad or iPhone - you've got more room, internally, to work with. Less of a financial pain if you muck it up. Good luck if you decide to repair it!

sdrides
09-10-2017, 07:20 PM
I've done a few iPhone 5's very successfully with iFixIt. If you like working on stuff, it's a fun challenege. I bought a couple affordable tool sets on Amazon to deal with all the TINY screws and other light touch stuff you need to do with these repairs. My eyeglass repair kit wasn't even close, it looked like a #3 Phillips in there. iFixIt will tell you all the tools you need. A magnetic bowl to hold stuff was helpful too. The parts themselves weren't dirt cheap, but in the end it was much cheaper (and more fun) than buying a new phone.

Go for it. My only warning is to buy the parts from iFixIt if you can - don't get suckered in to the cheapo parts on Amazon, especially for your first time.

Gsinill
09-10-2017, 07:59 PM
PITA in my humble opinion.
Replaced glass on an iPad 2 a while ago.
Lots of fiddling with double-sided tape and wires that tend to get pinched.
Some might enjoy but it's not for me, especially with all the local shops that do those kind of repairs fairly cheap.

Just my 2 cents, of course.

weiwentg
09-10-2017, 08:37 PM
PITA in my humble opinion.
Replaced glass on an iPad 2 a while ago.
Lots of fiddling with double-sided tape and wires that tend to get pinched.
Some might enjoy but it's not for me, especially with all the local shops that do those kind of repairs fairly cheap.

Just my 2 cents, of course.

For reference, I have an iPad Air whose battery is about due for a replacement. It's 3 years old, used it pretty heavily, so this is normal. I got quoted $100 at a local shop. I think a proper Apple Store replacement is similar. The battery, on ifixit, costs $30, plus I would need a couple more tools. Call it $50.

Looking at the guide, I have to loosen the glue holding the from display to the frame, plus mess with a bunch of tiny brackets and wires ... there are people on this forum I would trust to be able to do that sort of job if they put their minds to it. I am not one of those people. And a $50 premium over DIY isn't that bad.

oldguy00
09-11-2017, 05:44 AM
Thanks all. I'm in Canada, and by the time I get the needed parts, looks like Id be spending 100+and then hoping it goes well. Looking on the local classifieds, looks like i can easily buy a used first gen ipad in good condition for less than that.
Appreciate all the replies.