PDA

View Full Version : Sacrilegious but so much fun (e-bike content)

fa63
09-10-2017, 12:52 PM
My wife just bought a Juiced pedal assist bike; I took it out for a spin for the first time this afternoon:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170910/b019884a53060ed853d191d809f54957.jpg

The bike weighs 50 lbs, plus 8 lbs for the ridiculous yet hopefully effective chain my wife bought to lock the bike with. In the hilly environment we live in, this is so much fun to zip around in with minimal effort. She will be fitting it with a rack and panniers for groceries, errands, etc. I am thinking about getting one myself for commuting; would allow me to get to my destination without excessive perspiration...

jumphigher
09-10-2017, 04:46 PM
I'd get a motorcycle if I wanted something to do all the work..

bikinchris
09-10-2017, 04:50 PM

Too noisy.

fa63
09-10-2017, 05:07 PM

While this particular bike has a throttle (so it can technically be used without pedaling), I feel that it really works best when used in pedal-assist mode. That is how I rode it; imagine putting a little bit of pressure on the pedals but the bike zipping around rapidly. Particularly helpful when taking off from a stop, especially when riding in traffic.

45K10
09-10-2017, 05:22 PM
Its got disc brakes, no thanks ;)

pasadena
09-10-2017, 06:36 PM
I have a cargo ebike- it's great and really perfect for purpose.
I hope prices come down, as it's the key to mass cycling in the USA

My wife just bought a Juiced pedal assist bike; I took it out for a spin for the first time this afternoon:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170910/b019884a53060ed853d191d809f54957.jpg

The bike weighs 50 lbs, plus 8 lbs for the ridiculous yet hopefully effective chain my wife bought to lock the bike with. In the hilly environment we live in, this is so much fun to zip around in with minimal effort. She will be fitting it with a rack and panniers for groceries, errands, etc. I am thinking about getting one myself for commuting; would allow me to get to my destination without excessive perspiration...

Pelican
09-11-2017, 11:34 AM
I am thinking about getting one myself for commuting; would allow me to get to my destination without excessive perspiration...

If that's your saddle height, may I recommend getting something that fits you? We make our ebike in four frame sizes. :)

stien
09-11-2017, 11:38 AM

Except the cost to own and maintain something with a ICE is astronomical compared to the operating costs of an e-bike, plus you can pedal if you want. If you don't need to go over 20MPH, no reason to have gasoline.

I have a cargo ebike- it's great and really perfect for purpose.
I hope prices come down, as it's the key to mass cycling in the USA

+1, they're awesome and can be a car replacement.

If that's your saddle height, may I recommend getting something that fits you? We make our ebike in four frame sizes. :)

He said it's his wife's bike.

Pelican
09-11-2017, 11:58 AM
He said it's his wife's bike.

I know. He also said he was thinking about getting an ebike for himself.

bobswire
09-11-2017, 12:04 PM
I noticed there is a Garmin attached (or is that a headlight?), makes me wonder how many E-bike riders use Strava. :)

fa63
09-11-2017, 12:14 PM
I know. He also said he was thinking about getting an ebike for himself.

No worries, I would buy an appropriately sized bike for myself :)

I noticed there is a Garmin attached (or is that a headlight?), makes me wonder how many E-bike riders use Strava. :)

It is a headlight; my wife couldn't care less about a Garmin or Strava :)

MesiJezi
09-11-2017, 12:24 PM
I was slugging it out with a short and steep local hill last week and heard the grind of approaching tires behind me laying down some serious watts. I was expecting to be passed by someone on a hot race bike with huge calves... but no, it was a flat bar hybrid with a battery pack and guy who looked like he just got off work. E-bikes have come a long way in the last 5 years.

Even though it has a motor... still feels a little bad getting passed by these things!

classtimesailer
09-11-2017, 03:42 PM
Horses for courses. Motorized vehicles should be restricted to infrastructure intended for motorized vehicles. It is too easy for knuckleheads to put in their ear buds, push a button, soft-pedal, and bomb the MUP and bike lanes at 20+mph. I'm sure they are fun. No one I know has tried one and thought they suck. So what. And probably, my LBS can stay open a few more years because they can expand their market to folks who don't want to perspire. Still, I'm a hater.

Mzilliox
09-11-2017, 03:48 PM
so how is it powered and why is that a good thing compared to gas?
i thought the point was to exercise and or ride something powered by human, not technology? i guess im missing something. have fun with it.

fa63
09-11-2017, 04:06 PM
Horses for courses. Motorized vehicles should be restricted to infrastructure intended for motorized vehicles. It is too easy for knuckleheads to put in their ear buds, push a button, soft-pedal, and bomb the MUP and bike lanes at 20+mph. I'm sure they are fun. No one I know has tried one and thought they suck. So what. And probably, my LBS can stay open a few more years because they can expand their market to folks who don't want to perspire. Still, I'm a hater.

While I am sure there will be many idiots bombing MUPs and bike lanes, I hope there aren't enough of them to ruin it for the rest of us who follow the rules and use the pedal-assist feature mainly to make going uphill easier. When I am riding my bike to my favorite restaurant, which is uphill on the way there, I prefer to get there without sweating profusely (I sweat a lot), especially in Atlanta where it can get quite warm :)

so how is it powered and why is that a good thing compared to gas?
i thought the point was to exercise and or ride something powered by human, not technology? i guess im missing something. have fun with it.

There is a motor in the rear hub, powered by the battery in the downtube. It is still human powered; my wife uses it in pedal-assist mode, meaning she does some work and the motor does some as well. It really helps a lot when going uphill, especially when you are trying to get to your destination in a dry state. Personally, I would never show up to a group ride or anything with one of these; to me these are meant more as commuters or for utility.

classtimesailer
09-11-2017, 04:20 PM
Like I told my neighbors who always see me on my bike and marvel at my fitness (I am routinely dropped on the club rides), "If it is too steep, go slower, or walk, or drive." And she said, "I want to be out HERE." And I pointed to her convertible and said, "Put the top down." I cannot separate utility/commuter cycling and recreational cycling. If you don't want to exert yourself, drive or Uber.

oldpotatoe
09-11-2017, 06:08 PM
Too noisy.

Under 49cc Scooter...cheaper than ebike too.....

notsew
09-11-2017, 06:40 PM
Haters:

People using e-bikes for commuting is a good thing. That means they are not in a car. This is good for society. I think your KOM is safe from this dudes wife.

Goodness.

54ny77
09-11-2017, 06:59 PM
i don't understand these at all.

just get a moped.

classtimesailer
09-11-2017, 07:59 PM
Haters:

People using e-bikes for commuting is a good thing. That means they are not in a car. This is good for society. I think your KOM is safe from this dudes wife.

Goodness.

Agreed. Take a lane from the freeway and dedicate it to electric vehicles.

54ny77
09-11-2017, 08:10 PM
Clearly you have not experienced NYC food delivery guys on e-bikes.

:mad:

Haters:

Goodness.

pasadena
09-11-2017, 09:43 PM
Agreed. Take a lane from the freeway and dedicate it to electric vehicles.

People would raise hell for about 6 months, then that lane would be filled with ebikes and happy commuters by year's end

one can dream:banana:

It's not the ebikes or bikes. It's change. People will resist change to their death, because they so believe it will be worse than what they currently have.
They don't want to change their routine, until the point it becomes untenable because a sweeping change is imposed.

I know that sounds harsh but I've seen this happen every time in multiple cities with bike lanes and mass transit.
In every case I've personally seen, the end result has raised the quality of life 100 fold to what it was before.
The protesters disappear with the wind.