PDA

View Full Version : Found a wallet. Lots of ID, no address

makoti
09-10-2017, 11:16 AM
Military guy, though. For you guys who are/were military, if I just drop it off at a checkpoint to a base, will it get to him?
Drivers license is out of state, lots of credit cards, military ID but no, nada, nothing as far as a local address I can look up to get it back to him.
I don't want to call his CC company, because they will instantly kill his cards and that is a PITA.

R3awak3n
09-10-2017, 11:20 AM
you have his name right? first thing I would do is go on facebook and search for him. See if his profile pops up, if yes then send him a message there.

also just putting his name on google might yield some results

JWDR
09-10-2017, 11:58 AM
If there is a base near you, contacting the Provost Marshalls Office (PMO) is probably the best bet if you don't want to track him down yourself. Facebook and google if you want to do the sleuthing.

Alternatively , if you would like to pm me a full name and rank, I can look him up on the military's global address list (GAL) and email him to contact you. Most lower enlisted don't check their official email often but the higher the rank, the more digital leashes we have to check our email.

Peter P.
09-10-2017, 12:04 PM
Yes; drop the wallet off at your nearby base. They can look up anybody active military. I was a military police officer and we did this all the time.

Or just drop it off at your local PD. If they have relations with the local base, they should be able to do the same. Even if they don't have those connections, they have back door channels to I.D. the individual and get current, accurate info.

seanile
09-10-2017, 12:23 PM
If theres an insurance card or a credit card, call their customer service and have them call and give your number to them. This is how i got a wallet back to a guy visiting from puerto rico.

lexlion
09-10-2017, 12:26 PM
If there is an debit card you can leave it with his bank. They will get in touch with him.

makoti
09-10-2017, 01:59 PM
Checked facebook, nothing came up. Again, trying to avoid having him have to go through the entire hassle of changing CC numbers, but if that's my last option, I will.
The PD actually makes a lot more sense. I can't get onto the base, being a civilian. Thanks for the ideas.

MerckxMad
09-10-2017, 05:18 PM
Easy peasy

AngryScientist
09-10-2017, 05:40 PM
Again, trying to avoid having him have to go through the entire hassle of changing CC numbers, but if that's my last option, I will.

dont kid yourself; if the wallet has been lost for any more than an hour or two, he's already cancelled all of his credit cards. even if you return it to him, these days - he's going to have the old numbers swapped for new. too much identity theft currently to screw around.

ahumblecycler
09-10-2017, 05:42 PM
I'm DA civilian and will have access to the "Global" tomorrow in the office. If you want, you can PM me the full name as it appears on his CAC or whatever military ID you have, and I will be able to pull his contact information. I can either let you contact him or I can provide your contact information to let him reach out to you.

Cheers - ahc

makoti
09-10-2017, 05:57 PM
I'm DA civilian and will have access to the "Global" tomorrow in the office. If you want, you can PM me the full name as it appears on his CAC or whatever military ID you have, and I will be able to pull his contact information. I can either let you contact him or I can provide your contact information to let him reach out to you.

Cheers - ahc

Thanks, but I dropped it off at the PD. They said they'd get it back to him, no problem.

93legendti
09-10-2017, 06:36 PM
you have his name right? first thing I would do is go on facebook and search for him. See if his profile pops up, if yes then send him a message there.

also just putting his name on google might yield some results

This happened to me when I lost my wallet in Israel. I dropped my wallet and some one picked it up and took it to a bank across the street from where she found it. A bank employee waited for someone to come in to the bank to claim it and eventually searched FB and sent me a message asking if I "lost something important recently".

Now, I keep a tile in my wallet.

josephr
09-10-2017, 07:55 PM
dont kid yourself; if the wallet has been lost for any more than an hour or two, he's already cancelled all of his credit cards. even if you return it to him, these days - he's going to have the old numbers swapped for new. too much identity theft currently to screw around.

if anything, might give himself some peace-of-mind. :beer:

nesteel
09-10-2017, 08:43 PM
Lost my wallet once. Took the PD almost two years to get it back to me, and even then it was only because the guy was retiring and found it in the back of one of his desk drawers.