PDA

View Full Version : Lezyne Pressure Drive hand pump - does it work?

NHAero
09-10-2017, 09:18 AM
I bought a Lezyne Pressure Drive hand pump and can't make it work. As soon as I screw it onto the valve it starts to leak air and when pumping it seems much of the air bypasses the valve. Are these junk, or is there a way I am using it wrong? Presta valve BTW
Thanks

nmrt
09-10-2017, 09:24 AM
I used it just yesterday. I had a flat on my ride. It worked great! Maybe yours in faulty? I'd suggest to drop by at your LBS/REI and test another one out right there on your bike.

I bought a Lezyne Pressure Drive hand pump and can't make it work. As soon as I screw it onto the valve it starts to leak air and when pumping it seems much of the air bypasses the valve. Are these junk, or is there a way I am using it wrong? Presta valve BTW
Thanks

OtayBW
09-10-2017, 09:27 AM
Thanks
The PD has been my daily carry for several years now. Never had a problem. It doesn't pump up to 120 psi like the specs show, but I've never had a problem getting ~90+ psi in the 23s that I ride. Maybe you've got a blown or missing o-ring somewhere?

stien
09-10-2017, 10:18 AM
I was gonna say mine is great. Make sure the o-ring between hose and pump body is there and complete.

roydyates
09-10-2017, 02:46 PM
Thanks

Mine is mostly great but occasionally I screw it on tight and pumping does nothing. The air just escapes. There is a little black button on the chuck to let air out that can get gunked up and stuck in the open position. A little nudging closes it and then the pump works. When I'm in a hurry at the side of the road, I have overlooked this. My pump is on the downtube so it gets gunked by road crap from the front tire.

PaMtbRider
09-10-2017, 05:35 PM
I have a couple of these and have had no issues.

Ken Robb
09-10-2017, 06:11 PM
I KNOW! I had a similar problem with the hand pump for the fork and shock on my MTN bike. The valve core on one of them was too long so it released the air before I got the head screwed on far enough to form a seal on the valve stem to it leaked. I swiped a core from a spare tube, it was the correct length, the seal was good and everything was fine. It still is years later.

froze
09-10-2017, 08:14 PM
I've had my Pressure Drive pump for 4 seasons and it works great for a mini pump.

The only thing I can think of that could be causing your problem is the thread on the hose that connects to the valve you may have stripped the threads, which can be repaired since Lezyne sells replacement hoses.

572cv
09-10-2017, 08:32 PM
I've had my Pressure Drive pump for 4 seasons and it works great for a mini pump.

The only thing I can think of that could be causing your problem is the thread on the hose that connects to the valve you may have stripped the threads, which can be repaired since Lezyne sells replacement hoses.

Lezyne customer service is really good. Contact them about your problem. They'll probably just ship you replacement parts. I have this pump as well, and it has been fine, but I have had the screw on head replaced on one other floor pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NHAero
09-10-2017, 09:08 PM
Thanks to all, I'll take a closer look, first trying another valve on another wheel.

NHAero
09-11-2017, 06:35 AM
Tried the pump on two other wheels. First one works fine. Second one very fussy to get the position right so it doesn't bleed air out. Once I got it seated, it pumped fine, then in unscrewing it from the valve it took the valve core with it. I had a Lezyne floor pump that did the same thing every four or five uses, and now have the Airmenius instead. I went to Lezyne's website, and in the fine print they want you to Loctite the valve core in place. Anyone do that?

AngryScientist
09-11-2017, 07:26 AM
Tried the pump on two other wheels. First one works fine. Second one very fussy to get the position right so it doesn't bleed air out. Once I got it seated, it pumped fine, then in unscrewing it from the valve it took the valve core with it. I had a Lezyne floor pump that did the same thing every four or five uses, and now have the Airmenius instead. I went to Lezyne's website, and in the fine print they want you to Loctite the valve core in place. Anyone do that?

you dont need loctite. if you unscrew the core, just snug it up with a needlenose pliers. i use lezyne thread on chuck exclusively, no problems for me, aside from having to tighten a valve core every now than then. realistically - you want those tight anyway.

chiasticon
09-11-2017, 08:10 AM
I went to Lezyne's website, and in the fine print they want you to Loctite the valve core in place. Anyone do that?do you have the version with the ABS button on the hose? if so, when you're done pumping, you need to press that button. that will release the back pressure in the pump, which is what pulls the valve core out.

as far as your initial issue, if you're still having it, I would make 100% sure you have all the rubber seals in place first. easy to lose those and then you'll never get a proper seal.

NHAero
09-11-2017, 08:17 AM
Seals are in place, thanks. I think the valves differ enough that with some you have to screw it on far enough that the valve is getting depressed.

Can you say why having pressure in the hose pulls the core out? That's a mystery and would love to understand it.

Thanks

do you have the version with the ABS button on the hose? if so, when you're done pumping, you need to press that button. that will release the back pressure in the pump, which is what pulls the valve core out.

as far as your initial issue, if you're still having it, I would make 100% sure you have all the rubber seals in place first. easy to lose those and then you'll never get a proper seal.

ColonelJLloyd
09-11-2017, 08:20 AM
you dont need loctite. if you unscrew the core, just snug it up with a needlenose pliers. i use lezyne thread on chuck exclusively, no problems for me, aside from having to tighten a valve core every now than then. realistically - you want those tight anyway.

I have a pair of these (https://bythehive.com/products/tubeless-valve)tubeless valves on a bike and I use the heck out of the valve core tool stem cap.

I use the Road Drive size L and have been really pleased with it. Hopefully you find the missing seal or other culprit, OP. Things like this are frustrating.

instantturtle
09-11-2017, 08:21 AM
My god, I have a Lezyne Floor Pump that looks beautiful but always pulls the valve core out but if this trick works (pressing the ABS button), then that solves my current of cursing and using a hand pump...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColonelJLloyd
09-11-2017, 08:29 AM
http://blog.lezyne.com/the-abs-flex-hose/

fourflys
09-11-2017, 10:51 AM
So one thing I've found with the screw on part is you have to ensure the chuck is screwed on tight... sometimes I get my floor pump where the air will leak by... usually I right the reversible chuck and it's fine... YMMV if you have the other head... BTW- very happy with my road drive...

NHAero
09-11-2017, 10:51 AM
I got this pump to use only on my CAAD 10, so I will first tighten the bejesus out of the valve cores and try again. My 3 other bikes with road tires have a klickfix handlebar fitting and a handlebar bag that has my Topeak Road Morph pump, which always works sans drama. The Lezyne was attractive because it's under half the weight of the Road Morph on my only bike that is under 20 pounds (17, in fact).

Thanks very much folks! I'm still noodling on why the pressure in the hose exerts more force on the core when unscrewing...but it's easy to remember to press the black button!