PDA

View Full Version : Or how long before a weather reporter gets whacked...

Mikej
09-10-2017, 07:19 AM
The hurricane coverage is getting out of hand. Don't get me wrong, I feel for the people being displaced and having their lives torn up. However, at what point is it needed to film reporters just battling the 130 mph wind for 10 minutes straight? I hope kids know it's not advisable...flying debris is dangerous-

GregL
09-10-2017, 07:22 AM
The fundamental problem with all news coverage today - instead of accurately reporting the news, too many media organizations try to make news.

Greg

Gsinill
09-10-2017, 07:45 AM
Especially if the debris is the size of a stop sign:
https://youtu.be/ZId0lfFD9JU

regularguy412
09-10-2017, 08:10 AM
The fundamental problem with all news coverage today - instead of accurately reporting the news, too many media organizations try to make news.

Greg

Agreed. ^^This.

Seems like 'weather coverage', has become more like the social media phenomenon -- 'Hey! Look at ME! See what I did/can do!"

I mean, when meteorologists/weather reporters are now NAMING A LARGE RAIN STORM FRONT (not talking tropical depressions, but more like large snow storms or squall lines), it's really just unnecessary hype. It's the industry TRYING to make itself more dramatic and important.

I guess it sells advertising.

My position is: Stop making money off other people's misery.

It's unbecoming.

Mike in AR:beer:

Vientomas
09-10-2017, 09:32 AM
My solution...stop watching the "news".

Seramount
09-10-2017, 01:10 PM
reporters that are usually far from the worst of the storm breathlessly describing how 'dangerous' conditions where they are and sternly admonishing everyone else to stay indoors is hard to take very seriously.

the manufactured drama gets tiresome.

SoCalSteve
09-10-2017, 01:48 PM
reporters that are usually far from the worst of the storm breathlessly describing how 'dangerous' conditions where they are and sternly admonishing everyone else to stay indoors is hard to take very seriously.

What would you prefer to see? Not disagreeing with you one bit, just curious as to how the news like this should be reported then...:confused:

msl819
09-10-2017, 02:55 PM
I cannot remember which source I heard it from but after Harvey there was basically a report that spoke to how difficult the media has made it to accurately describe Harvey as a storm because of the ratings driven tendency to overexagerrate. When meterorologist began to rightly refer to the danger of Harvey being a killer storm with catastrophic potential the feeling was people would roll their eyes because that is what they always hear.

Tony T
09-10-2017, 03:42 PM
NYT Today: As Irma’s Winds Rise, So Does a Debate Over TV Storm Reporting (https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/10/business/media/hurricane-irma-broadcasts-safety.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=span-abc-region&region=span-abc-region&WT.nav=span-abc-region&_r=0)

The tradition of television crews standing in the middle of a dangerous storm goes back decades, reflecting the hunger to be on the scene for a nationally significant event. But the news value of dangerous stand-ups — in which a correspondent is seen in the field talking to the camera — is increasingly being questioned, particularly with the rise of social media. Some critics wondered whether they are unnecessary and overly sensational spectacles, especially in cases where correspondents are struggling to deliver information.

But those same field reporters insist that the visuals from the storms are essential in persuading people to take hurricane threats seriously and getting them to leave the area. At the same time, veteran reporters say they take every precaution to stay out of life-threatening situations. On CNN, John Berman, in Miami, described flying debris nearby and took pains to say that he didn’t believe he was in serious danger.

The custom of reporters broadcasting live from hurricanes began with Dan Rather, the former CBS News anchor, in 1961. Working for KHOU in Houston, he broadcast the first live radar image of a hurricane — Hurricane Carla — on television and took to the streets to show the conditions firsthand. CBS took the broadcast live, giving viewers around the country their first look at the threat posed by such a storm. Pictures of Mr. Rather wading through waist-high water propelled his rise to network anchor.

Seramount
09-10-2017, 04:15 PM
What would you prefer to see? Not disagreeing with you one bit, just curious as to how the news like this should be reported then...:confused:

first step is to have the on-scene types stop hyperventilating when they're on camera...they're obviously in positions of relative safety, so no need to portray the situation as imminently life-threatening to them.

have seen combat reporters taking direct fire that were infinitely more calm and collected than some of the hysterical blatherings from cable news folks that are only experiencing some wind gusts and a little rain.

a guy from CNN just pointed to a small tree branch lying on the ground and felt it necessary to inform viewers that '...this could have killed someone had it hit them...'

it somewhat reminds me of the annoying people on group rides that feel it necessary to call out every pebble, leaf, twig...

the media forced drama routine quickly gets to the 'crying wolf' stage and people just become deaf to their endless dire warnings. the phrase 'Breaking News' used to mean something of unusual importance was coming across the airwaves, it's been co-opted now and is entirely meaningless. every single story is labeled as Breaking News...some British Royals expecting another child is NOT breaking news.

adub
09-10-2017, 05:24 PM
It's like the news media is disappointed that Irma is only a cat 2 as it hits Florida..

Jgrooms
09-11-2017, 06:19 PM
Better get used to it.

Why You Can’t Take Your Eyes Off the Hurricane - POLITICO
https://apple.news/A7X3cg2fvSzKl3We7CjG59g

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vientomas
09-11-2017, 07:43 PM
Oh, I can...and i'm not reading your link :) see how that works? I'm blissfully ignorant of what the "news" wants me to think. :banana:

Jgrooms
09-11-2017, 09:48 PM
Oh, I can...and i'm not reading your link :) see how that works? I'm blissfully ignorant of what the "news" wants me to think. :banana:

Summary- record viewership for reporters standing in the wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cadence90
09-11-2017, 10:19 PM

Greg

Indeed.
"Brian Williams Syndrome".... :rolleyes:

Bwana
09-11-2017, 10:40 PM
He wasn't on any major network, but there was a storm chaser who's car flipped during Harvey. He got rescued by another chaser in the area.

I had like five different live feeds running when Harvey made landfall in Rockport. It was nuts.

Louis
09-11-2017, 10:44 PM
Along the same lines, this was recently in the news...

https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2017-06/5/9/campaign_images/buzzfeed-prod-fastlane-01/this-photo-of-a-dad-mowing-his-lawn-during-a-torn-2-6525-1496670561-0_dblbig.jpg

Anarchist
09-12-2017, 12:00 AM

https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2017-06/5/9/campaign_images/buzzfeed-prod-fastlane-01/this-photo-of-a-dad-mowing-his-lawn-during-a-torn-2-6525-1496670561-0_dblbig.jpg

Well, that is not really the same. That picture was taken in Three Hills, AB in the spring this year. The tornado was moving away from town. The guy's wife took the picture.

gone
09-12-2017, 07:38 AM

This.

I was in a Kansas City hotel room driving toward Des Moines that day. Turned on the Weather Channel where they gushed over "dangerous, life threatening storms slated to hit Des Moines". I seriously thought about not going and was worried that Des Moines might not even be there when I arrived (slight hyperbole).

Drove anyway. When I arrived, no storm, blue skies, sun shining, birds singing, etc.

OK, I know they get forecasts wrong but this was so far off the charts wrong that it was laughable. I've not watched WC since, they've got zero credibility with me.

Mikej
09-12-2017, 08:08 AM
Well, that is not really the same. That picture was taken in Three Hills, AB in the spring this year. The tornado was moving away from town. The guy's wife took the picture.

That's staged - that lawn is nowhere near needing to be mowed -

ntb1001
09-12-2017, 08:26 AM
News is terrible now.
In Toronto we have a 24hr news channel called "CP24"....otherwise known as "City Panic 24"

If there is a grey cloud...they give warnings of imminent danger, don't leave your house!!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

ColonelJLloyd
09-12-2017, 08:34 AM
That's staged - that lawn is nowhere near needing to be mowed -

He should be staining that poor fence instead.

54ny77
09-12-2017, 08:36 AM
I'm convinced The Weather Channel is secretly owned by a subsidiary of a subsidiary of a subsidiary of a subsidiary of an offshore offshore holding company jointly owned by Lowes and Home Depot.

:bike:

chiasticon
09-12-2017, 09:13 AM
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ea/5c/7e/ea5c7e66a0424f72f82bf68e3ca615dc.jpg

bmeryman
09-12-2017, 05:00 PM

And then he got a float in the local parade:
http://o.aolcdn.com/dims-shared/dims3/GLOB/crop/1020x1020+0+0/resize/630x630!/format/jpg/quality/85/http://o.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/midas/4b3ea0a49785b887269df7a93e215745/205461215/DEPAqhZXUAAUSo3.jpg

oliver1850
09-12-2017, 08:52 PM
I was thinking whacked for another reason, that being wrong forecast. I mowed hay all weekend, with a clear forecast for a full week. By Monday morning they were saying chance of showers Wednesday morning, so no raking today. I'd ripped the shingles off a good sized portion of the house roof in the meantime, even though I had a dental appointment scheduled for Tuesday afternoon. Just came down from replacing plywood by flashlight. Out of energy to get paper down, so hoping it doesn't rain before I get back out there tomorrow.