PDA

View Full Version : To Di2 or Not to Di2? That is the question.

rlanger
09-09-2017, 02:40 AM
Currently running Ultegra 6800 with a DA 9000 crank and thinking about upgrading to Di2.

I'd likely pick up a used DA 9000 upgrade kit, but was wondering from others who've gone this route... is it worth it? Or, is there better use of the cash?

I ride 250 to 300 Ks a week of mostly commuting and I don't race. I'm more than happy with my current wheel set (Fulcrum Racing Zero) for my purposes, so not really inclined to use the money for a new set.

I've never tried Di2 and my current setup shifts flawlessly, but what actually intrigues me more than anything is Synchro shift. I really hate having to look down at my rear derailleur to ensure that I'm not cross chaining. I just find it a bit dangerous. So the auto shifting sounds great.

So, what say you Paceliners?

oldguy00
09-09-2017, 05:07 AM
Will it make you faster? No.
Will you ever go back to mechanical? No. :)

I switched to triathlon a few years ago, so I never got around to changing my road bike to di2, but I did upgrade my tt bike to Ultegra di2, and I love it. No cables to install or go out of tune, perfect shifts every time, auto trimming front derailleur..

Just do it.

BdaGhisallo
09-09-2017, 05:27 AM
You may well find that Syncro shift is not as great as you think it will be but it won't matter because you will love DI2.

oldguy00
09-09-2017, 05:29 AM
You may well find that Syncro shift is not as great as you think it will be but it won't matter because you will love DI2.

Agree. I haven't tried it myself, but reading about it, I wasn't too interested. That said, I believe you can turn the syncro shift off.

znfdl
09-09-2017, 05:32 AM
I started with one bike with electric shifting. Now all 4 of my bike have electric shifting. It is that good.

LJohnny
09-09-2017, 05:39 AM
Fan as well, albeit I have bikes w/o di2 and still enjoy them. You can indeed turn synchronized shifting off if it isn't your bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BdaGhisallo
09-09-2017, 06:03 AM
Agree. I haven't tried it myself, but reading about it, I wasn't too interested. That said, I believe you can turn the syncro shift off.

Yup, it can be easily disabled. The multi-shift is a nice feature but syncro shift lasted all of three miles on my bike before I switched it off.

rlanger
09-09-2017, 07:13 AM

Well, if I don't like Syncro shift, I guess I can always set up a field on my Garmin 1000 to display what gear I'm in. That would also be miles better than having to look down and back at my rear derailleur.

oldpotatoe
09-09-2017, 07:13 AM
Currently running Ultegra 6800 with a DA 9000 crank and thinking about upgrading to Di2.

I'd likely pick up a used DA 9000 upgrade kit, but was wondering from others who've gone this route... is it worth it? Or, is there better use of the cash?

I ride 250 to 300 Ks a week of mostly commuting and I don't race. I'm more than happy with my current wheel set (Fulcrum Racing Zero) for my purposes, so not really inclined to use the money for a new set.

I've never tried Di2 and my current setup shifts flawlessly, but what actually intrigues me more than anything is Synchro shift. I really hate having to look down at my rear derailleur to ensure that I'm not cross chaining. I just find it a bit dangerous. So the auto shifting sounds great.

Electronic shifting is really keen, but modern mechanical is too. 'Worth' is a big word...I'd say try to ride a bike with it, try it with thick gloves as well.

It IS nice to never have to ever change inner wires and shift housing, ever again(particularly if internal). It is nice that once adjusted, it never needs any tweeks. BUT can be vexing if some component or connector fails(altho diagnostics will tell you where the issue is, and very rare).

Kingfisher
09-09-2017, 07:56 AM
Just bought a used Emonda on ebay with di2.....it is that good. Never fidgeting with front der positioning now is pretty great, rear shifting is spot on.

Is it worth it, yes. I don't want to ride my other bikes that are not di2 equipped.

Zee
09-09-2017, 08:19 AM
Current ride is 6770 and I have been pleased with it. Biggest gripes arethe weight and that I have not taken the time to sort a battery solution to free up my second bottle cage mount.

Been looking at putting together something with mechanical and all these comments of 'I would never turn back' have me second guessing myself...

Lanternrouge
09-09-2017, 10:39 AM
Some people really love, but for others the reaction is MEH. If you can borrow a bike with it before spending the money, that could help you decide. I initially ended up with it since there was a used bike I REALLY wanted that was Di2 only. Although the modern mechanical is great, I still find myself preferring Di2 and doubt I'll get any "new" bikes that are mechanical since I don't need them anyway.

My own sense is that most people who've used Di2 for a bit end up preferring it and I'm one of them. People who don't have it are otherwise enjoying completely satisfactory lives and I'm sure their joy in life is in no way less due to have push buttons and paddles a little more.

BdaGhisallo
09-09-2017, 11:08 AM
Current ride is 6770 and I have been pleased with it. Biggest gripes arethe weight and that I have not taken the time to sort a battery solution to free up my second bottle cage mount.

Been looking at putting together something with mechanical and all these comments of 'I would never turn back' have been second guessing myself...

I have been on DI2 since I first got a hold of some 7970 DI2 components back in June 2009. I will NEVER go back to mechanical. DI2 has been rock solid and has performed flawlessly.

justaute
09-09-2017, 11:12 AM
Love Di2.

Clean39T
09-09-2017, 11:46 AM
Some people really love, but for others the reaction is MEH. If you can borrow a bike with it before spending the money, that could help you decide. I initially ended up with it since there was a used bike I REALLY wanted that was Di2 only. Although the modern mechanical is great, I still find myself preferring Di2 and doubt I'll get any "new" bikes that are mechanical since I don't need them anyway.

Try before you buy.

One consideration: the motors aren't silent. Be prepared for possible annoyance there. Of course, many couldn't care less...

Willy
09-09-2017, 12:05 PM
I have Di2 paired with a Garmin 1000 which shows me the gears on the screen - never have to look down to see what gear I am in.

stien
09-09-2017, 04:07 PM

Been looking at putting together something with mechanical and all these comments of 'I would never turn back' have me second guessing myself...

A 10 speed holdout!

Look up "long" battery mount. That goes under your cage.

If your rd dies and you haven't updated firmware, you can swap in 11s rd, chain, cassette and crank.

Zee
09-09-2017, 05:38 PM
A 10 speed holdout!

Look up "long" battery mount. That goes under your cage.

If your rd dies and you haven't updated firmware, you can swap in 11s rd, chain, cassette and crank.

What if I told you I had a NIB 6770 backup...

I found a flow chart showcasing some new junction box is all I might need to get an internal battery integrated.

GonaSovereign
09-09-2017, 07:42 PM
What if I told you I had a NIB 6770 backup...

Where do you live?

shovelhd
09-09-2017, 08:35 PM
There is no question.

choke
09-09-2017, 09:14 PM
Been looking at putting together something with mechanical and all these comments of 'I would never turn back' have me second guessing myself...Just because others feel that way doesn't mean you have to as well....build it however you want.

fogrider
09-09-2017, 10:25 PM
I have one bike with Di2, one with mech DA and 4 bikes with mech campy. Di2 is good, but I don't need it on every bike. you should get it and decide for yourself.

rlanger
09-10-2017, 01:50 AM
I have one bike with Di2, one with mech DA and 4 bikes with mech campy. Di2 is good, but I don't need it on every bike. you should get it and decide for yourself.

Yeah, if I had more than one bike it would definitely be a no-brainer. Unfortunately, I'm an n=1 guy.

And, do I really need it? No. Like I said, my current mechanical set up shifts flawlessly. But, I do ride my bike just about every single day (I don't even have a car, nor do I want one), so I think I just want my ride to be the best that I can make it.

Ok, so who's got an excellent condition DA 9000 Di2 upgrade kit they're looking to get rid of cheap!!!!! :)

alastairb
09-10-2017, 04:01 AM
If running a sub optimal chainline is the major issue, surely you can hear the chain contacting the FD when in big/big and feel the drive chain slack when in small/small?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

pavel
09-10-2017, 11:59 PM

Yes. As long as its this DI2.

http://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/Shimano_Nexave_Di2_derailleur_C810.html

etu
09-11-2017, 08:30 AM
Tried Di2 on a bike that I eventually sold. It's nice, but mechanical works just as well. It's one of those things IMO that you don't notice. If you're going to experiment on making your N=1 as best as it can be, I'd try something like carbon tubulars.

shovelhd
09-11-2017, 08:49 AM
Sprint shifters. And don't compare them to Campy thumb tabs, it's not the same. :)

redir
09-11-2017, 08:49 AM
When just last week the cable end snapped off in my 11 speed rear shifter and I had to watch youtube videos on how to rout the cable through the frame using magnets and trying to salvage the bar tape at the same time I cursed and cursed and cursed cables and swore I was going to DI2 in heartbeat #@$*&!!

Then I got it fixed and now I'm back too... Meh... it works.

Wasatch
09-11-2017, 04:13 PM
I just built up a new bike with DA 9100 mechanical after using Di2 exclusively for three years. IMO Di2 is a "nice to have," not a "have to have."

With Di2 you gain:
Precise shifts, every single time
No cable stretch to worry about
The ability to fine tune shifting on the fly via the junction box and shift paddles
Rapid-fire downshifts and upshifts. You can dump an entire cassette very quickly just by holding the button down.
Clean lines without shifting cables running down your downtube

Potential downsides:
You lose a lot of the tactile feel that many of us enjoy
If you're a traditionalist, you obviously lose that aesthetic when going electronic
Your wallet gets lighter
Definitely not a major pain point since it is so infrequent, but you do have to remember to charge the battery

If it's in your budget, I say definitely go for it. But like I said above, IMO it's a "nice to have" and not a "have to have."

ptourkin
09-11-2017, 05:07 PM
Sprint shifters. And don't compare them to Campy thumb tabs, it's not the same. :)

The ability to change configurations with the electronic shifting is a big plus for me. I spend about two months with aero extensions on my road bike for an ultra event and with buttons attached to those bars and 5 port junction, I'm able to shift in the extensions without having anything permanently mounted for the other 10 months I'm riding that bike. Being able to shift (rear only) while staying down has been a big help. I wish I'd done it sooner.

Also, in extreme cold, shifts in Di2 are easier - you can do it in lobster mitts or whatever you use.

FlashUNC
09-11-2017, 05:33 PM
I'd go with eTap personally.

solrider
09-12-2017, 01:40 AM
new ultegra di2 vs old? pros and cons?

shovelhd
09-12-2017, 06:41 AM
Define "new" and "old".

Bob Ross
09-12-2017, 12:14 PM
I'd say try to ride a bike with it, try it with thick gloves as well.

^^^This. If you do any winter cycling, see how the buttons work* with your favorite gloves/mittens.

*...or don't
:banana:

It's another compelling reason to check out eTap imho.

ptourkin
09-12-2017, 12:30 PM
^^^This. If you do any winter cycling, see how the buttons work* with your favorite gloves/mittens.

*...or don't
:banana:

It's another compelling reason to check out eTap imho.

I finished a winter 200k in 34f temps using Di2 with my fingers almost in fists because I pulled the lining of my glove in past the fingers and couldn't/didn't sort it out. I don't personally think the two buttons are hard to distinguish with mittens. YMMV

chiasticon
09-12-2017, 12:35 PM
If running a sub optimal chainline is the major issue, surely you can hear the chain contacting the FD when in big/big and feel the drive chain slack when in small/small?that was my first thought. Shimano is very quick to tell you your chainline sucks. that was the main reason I liked di2: crisp Shimano shifting, but you didn't have to adjust the FD indexing when you were cross-chained. I did enjoy it but it wasn't mind-blowing for me. mechanical shifting is pretty excellent these days. depends what your priorities are though; it's more set and forget, that's for sure. if you hate bike maintenance or aren't skilled with it, it's 100% the way to go.

alastairb
09-12-2017, 01:30 PM
that was my first thought. Shimano is very quick to tell you your chainline sucks. that was the main reason I liked di2: crisp Shimano shifting, but you didn't have to adjust the FD indexing when you were cross-chained. I did enjoy it but it wasn't mind-blowing for me. mechanical shifting is pretty excellent these days. depends what your priorities are though; it's more set and forget, that's for sure. if you hate bike maintenance or aren't skilled with it, it's 100% the way to go.Agreed: I've got mechanical on one and electronic on the other. Find mechanical much more tactile, but I bore of changing cables and fine tuning indexing. "Fresh" mechanical is excellent; 8 weeks down the line, less so....

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

chiasticon
09-13-2017, 07:59 AM
"Fresh" mechanical is excellent; 8 weeks down the line, less so....sealed cables :banana:

Mark McM
09-13-2017, 09:50 AM
sealed cables :banana:

I've switched almost entirely over to using sealed cable systems. As you say, they keep their performance for much longer than non-sealed systems. They are more expensive than non-sealed systems, but mechanical shifters/derailleurs plus a lifetime supply of sealed cables is still less expensive than electronic shifters/derailleurs.

jwd
09-13-2017, 12:55 PM
I feel like I have enough gadgets I have to charge. I know you don't have to charge battery that often but sometimes I just want to go on a ride and not worry about plugging anything in.

Curious though, how long is the battery life on these?

PaMtbRider
09-13-2017, 01:08 PM
I feel like I have enough gadgets I have to charge. I know you don't have to charge battery that often but sometimes I just want to go on a ride and not worry about plugging anything in.

Depends on how much you ride. My wife's Di2 gravel bike probably gets charged twice a year. I think riding every day you could still easily get a couple months.

Wasatch
09-13-2017, 01:34 PM

I charge mine about once/quarter.

rlanger
05-10-2018, 04:40 PM
So to update my thread...

I got a really good deal on a 9150 upgrade kit from a nice forum member here a couple of months ago, but wasn't able to get it installed until yesterday.

Went out for a 40k ride and have to say that for me, it's absolutely one of the best upgrades I've made to my bike.

I had the shifting set to semi-syncro mode, which I think I will stick with. Haven't tried full-syncro yet, but I don't see much point, although it might be useful in winter to cut down on shifting when wearing thick gloves.

Not having to trim the front derailleur is extremely nice. Just shift the big ring and you're good.

The buttons on the 9150 shifters are plenty tactile with nice enough travel, and it's pretty cool to be able to change the pages on my Garmin with the hood buttons.

Finally, don't underestimate the addictive nature of the sound from that front derailleur when you make a shift. That's pretty damn cool.

All in all, it's almost like having a completely new bike to ride. Been saving up for quite some time to buy this gruppo and it's certainly been worth the wait.

Hilltopperny
05-10-2018, 08:05 PM
I have mechanical groups on all but one bike at the moment. I have had di2 on a few bikes and liked it, but I didn’t really love it. I just received a bike with etap and I like it better than di2. New mechanical groups are great and you’ll never run out of battery power.

zennmotion
05-10-2018, 08:13 PM
The way I look at it, wine bottles with a screw top is arguably an improvement over corks. But I don't think I've ever bought a bottle of wine because of the screw top. Some things are just wrong just because. Like banana emojis. :banana: and butts :butt:

rlanger
05-11-2018, 01:12 AM
I have mechanical groups on all but one bike at the moment. I have had di2 on a few bikes and liked it, but I didn’t really love it. I just received a bike with etap and I like it better than di2. New mechanical groups are great and you’ll never run out of battery power.

Yeah, I also considered going with eTap, but in the end I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Why do you prefer it over Di2?

Hilltopperny
05-11-2018, 04:13 AM
Yeah, I also considered going with eTap, but in the end I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I like the ease of set up and ergonomics better. It looks cleaner and the batteries can be charged in my truck with a USB port. I also have the mid cage WiFli rd with a 11/32 cassette for a wider range of gears which I love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldpotatoe
05-11-2018, 06:28 AM

Why not EPS? Record ala $ as DA...:)

Gummee
05-11-2018, 09:04 AM
After LOTS of years of riding mechanical STI, I have to think about shifting on my 1 Di2 bike. I don't like having to think about shifting.

If you have one or two bikes set up the same, it's great stuff. If you have many bikes set up with mechanical shifters and 1 bike without, I'd say 'save your $'

...but that's me... YMMV

M

DrSpoke
05-11-2018, 04:21 PM
I've had Campagnolo on all of my road bikes since the 70s. And recently, just got my first SR group ever (mechanical). I will admit EPS is outside of my budget so I don't expect electronic shifting on any future road bike as I doubt I will every stray.

That said, I have Di2 on both my gravel bike (Ultegra) and mountain bike (XTR) and love it. It's superb at shifting under load when hitting a patch of soft sand or rounding a corner and finding a steep climb. Accordingly, I think it's very useful for off-road and maybe less useful on road. But, as stated, I haven't tried it on a pure road bike yet though I do take the gravel bike on the road. But think I would like it there too as all of my riding buddies love it. The Garmin display is a bonus.

rlanger
05-11-2018, 05:04 PM
Why not EPS? Record ala $ as DA...:)

A few reasons in no particular order:

1. Not a fan of the thumb shifter, although I'm sure I'd come to accept or even appreciate it.

2. Availability (you don't tend to see as many sets available for purchase on the forums and their cost tends to be a bit higher than Shimano).

3. Harder to service where I live (not a lot of expertise or parts availability).

4. No Garmin integration (I really like this feature. I can control both my Garmin and my Bontrager lights from the hood buttons).

5. Maybe some personal bias. Always used Shimano and have never felt compelled to change.

6. I ride Fulcrum wheels (love them) and it would drive me crazy until I could find the cash to switch to Campy wheels!

Now, if I ever end up splurging for my dream bike, C64 (or whatever number they are up to by the time I go for it), I would seriously have to consider making the switch. As for now, I think the way my De Rosa is setup, is about as close to a dream bike as most anyone would want.

Avispa
05-12-2018, 10:41 AM
I started with one bike with electric shifting. Now all 4 of my bike have electric shifting. It is that good.

"Electric" is the new drug! :banana:
Man, I have had to work on friends bikes with mechanical shifting... And it takes me some time to get in the mood to do it. But in the end I realize I am just working on a bike which is cool.

Di2, EPS, eTap, they're all great toys to play with! Go for it!

Bob Ross
05-12-2018, 03:29 PM
If you have one or two bikes set up the same, it's great stuff. If you have many bikes set up with mechanical shifters and 1 bike without, I'd say 'save your $'

As I've said before, I like to tell myself that I'm building new neural pathways by having a completely different shifting paradigm on every bike I own: I have four bikes, one each with Campy Record, Shimano Ultegra (6600), Suntour downtube shifters, and SRAM eTap.

Despite the fact that I have to re-set my brain every time I grab a bike and go for a ride, I wouldn't hesitate to say the electronic gruppo is "great stuff".

Not perfect...but great nonetheless.