PDA

View Full Version : DA 9000 SPD-SL Pedal Parts

ptourkin
09-08-2017, 11:50 AM
Is the top plate on these pedals not available as a replacement part? My spindles etc... are fine but at 34,000 miles, this is worn out. I was under the impression I could replace it but I cannot locate.

TIA

loxx0050
09-08-2017, 01:27 PM
This exploded diagram points to it potentially not being available.

http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-PD-9000-3329.pdf

I only could find 7800 replacement plates and the plastic ones from the PDR540 style ones.

Maybe see if a sheet metal place can cut you some new ones?

Or scour ebay for broken/crashed ones with the plate still intact?

AngryScientist
09-08-2017, 01:54 PM
i suspect that following 7810 pedals, shimano was led to believe that they were not really wearing out. note that the newest DA pedals do not even have a replaceable pad.

https://racycles.azureedge.net/assets/standard/77952/large/PD-R9100_STD.jpg

ptourkin
09-08-2017, 02:39 PM
Yeah, this sucks. The 7800 is not directly compatible as it only has two holes for the screws. The 79 looks to match but I don't see it listed as a spare. I could cannibalize but the 7900 are on my track bike and I like to be tight on there. As noted, there are no screws on the 91.

https://i.imgur.com/3B3R2DPl.jpg

loxx0050
09-08-2017, 03:17 PM
2 Suggestions:

1) Try to modify that 7800 (grind/file away) to make it the same or close enough size and drill some holes to fit your pedal

2) Use a filler epoxy on your worn parts of the plate and file/sand smooth/level (make sure the epoxy you get is able to be worked on like this though).

godfrey1112000
09-09-2017, 03:27 PM
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/shimano-dura-ace-pd-r9100-e-spd-sl-long-spindle-pedals

$181 with the extended spindle new
I will sell you mine
I will buy the new
Pm me if you want to work a deal
Include email for pics

:help:

GonaSovereign
09-09-2017, 07:23 PM
They're the best pedals on the market. You wore them out. You should feel pretty good about that. Buy some new ones and look forward to the next 34k km.

BdaGhisallo
09-10-2017, 05:25 AM
They're the best pedals on the market. You wore them out. You should feel pretty good about that. Buy some new ones and look forward to the next 34k km.

They are a fantastic design and essentially unchanged since Shimano introduced them in late 2002. The pedal bodies have had cosmetic and material changes but the cleats are unchanged.

weiwentg
09-10-2017, 06:27 AM

My Speedplays have something like that mileage. The resin pedal bodies may be starting to wear down. Speedplay sell replacement pedal bodies for, iirc, $50 for the X series. Speedplay will rebuild the pedals themselves for, iirc, $100.

Hence, I don't agree with your statement. If a Shimano rep told me that, I would laugh in their face. For want of a metal plate, you're asking me to throw out a perfectly good set of pedals? And these are what, 4 year old pedals?

R3awak3n
09-10-2017, 06:29 AM
Id just buy some new ones but I understand why you would want to fix then, such a simple part and sad that we live in the throw away mentality days. Why I loved old campy and being able to fix old shifters with readily available parts.

These are great pedals indeed but imo the ultegras are as good and $100 cheaper. I have 9100s and ultegras and to me the only difference is when I threw em on the scale (and even then its minor)

oldpotatoe
09-10-2017, 07:38 AM
My Speedplays have something like that mileage. The resin pedal bodies may be starting to wear down. Speedplay sell replacement pedal bodies for, iirc, $50 for the X series. Speedplay will rebuild the pedals themselves for, iirc, $100.

Hence, I don't agree with your statement. If a Shimano rep told me that, I would laugh in their face. For want of a metal plate, you're asking me to throw out a perfectly good set of pedals? And these are what, 4 year old pedals?

Gotta agree but like much of bike 'stuff' these days, either through incompatibility or just wearing out, 'they' want you to buy a new whatever. 34k isn't that many miles, really. I have some Speedplay Zeros over a decade old, maybe 35,000.....miles....2 times new 'pucks'...

oldpotatoe
09-10-2017, 07:40 AM
Id just buy some new ones but I understand why you would want to fix then, such a simple part and sad that we live in the throw away mentality days. Why I loved old campy and being able to fix old shifters with readily available parts.

These are great pedals indeed but imo the ultegras are as good and $100 cheaper. I have 9100s and ultegras and to me the only difference is when I threw em on the scale (and even then its minor)

Modern Campag ERGO has 'readily available parts'. Buy an assembly and take it apart like I do, for parts...

R3awak3n
09-10-2017, 07:59 AM
Modern Campag ERGO has 'readily available parts'. Buy an assembly and take it apart like I do, for parts...

just not as nice as just buying the part you want though. I guess after buying a few assemblies you get enough parts to last you for a while :)

Clancy
09-10-2017, 08:21 AM
I'd like to see a picture of the worn out plates.

That's impressive!

And I agree that the plates should be available. But as much as we like to dog Shimano/SRAM etc for their lack of parts availability, or components designed w/o replaceable parts, I can see their side. With the incredible range of products Shimano has, to stock parts for each device must be a logistical and financial nightmare.

Recently I contacted SRAM to ask about the availability of a part for an older RockShox fork. I was told it was NLA. The rep also stated they only support their products with parts for five years after manufacture.

Sad. I also ride/repair/rebuild BMW motorcycles. I can still get parts for a 1972 R75 for example.

AngryScientist
09-10-2017, 08:28 AM
by the way, is it possible to just flip them upside down for a fresh surface?

ptourkin
09-10-2017, 09:49 AM

Genius. I will try this. Thank you!

R3awak3n
09-10-2017, 09:53 AM
that is pretty genius

oldpotatoe
09-10-2017, 10:10 AM
just not as nice as just buying the part you want though. I guess after buying a few assemblies you get enough parts to last you for a while :)

Email me, I'll sell ya the parts you need. I have stuff for 1992 thru 2017 ERGO, both sides.

Cp51errc@gmail.cm

R3awak3n
09-10-2017, 10:21 AM
Email me, I'll sell ya the parts you need. I have stuff for 1992 thru 2017 ERGO, both sides.

Cp51errc@gmail.cm

will do if I ever need anything. Thanks OP.

weiwentg
09-10-2017, 12:51 PM
Gotta agree but like much of bike 'stuff' these days, either through incompatibility or just wearing out, 'they' want you to buy a new whatever. 34k isn't that many miles, really. I have some Speedplay Zeros over a decade old, maybe 35,000.....miles....2 times new 'pucks'...

True, they do want us to buy new stuff. So yeah, if SP told me tough luck on replacement parts for my now 12year old X series, then I would be unhappy and I would give them an earful, but with that amount of time, I can understand somewhat.

But now, we are talking 4 year old pedals with a not crazy amount of miles. The component that's apparently taking the brunt of the wear is worn out. It can't be replaced. The ball bearings can. There are varying degrees of stupid. For this case, barring user error, this is the worst sort of stupid.

loxx0050
09-10-2017, 02:02 PM
The odd thing is when 6800 came out the reviewers reported that replacement wear plates for the pedals would be available to buy when needed. But then you can't seem to find it for sale anywhere or even a Shimano individual part number on their exploded diagram for spare parts.

A little disappointing when this was promoted as a feature but not officially reported as not available when actually released.

simonov
09-12-2017, 05:49 AM

My first few sets of speedplays were like that. Years of use from the pedals and cleats. I think they switched from making them out of resin to using butter, because the last couple sets I bought wore down within 6-9 months. I ended up switching to Shimano and, while I love the feel of the pedals, I've not found them to be nearly as durable as the internet would have someone believe.

ptourkin
09-12-2017, 08:10 AM

This could still work with some careful tinkering. Someone pointed out to me that the up side is countersunk.

Mikej
09-12-2017, 08:12 AM
Is the top plate on these pedals not available as a replacement part? My spindles etc... are fine but at 34,000 miles, this is worn out. I was under the impression I could replace it but I cannot locate.

TIA

34k miles on 9000 pedals? That would be around 8500 per year? Sometimes you just need new stuff....

ptourkin
09-12-2017, 09:31 AM
34k miles on 9000 pedals? That would be around 8500 per year? Sometimes you just need new stuff....

What can I say? Bill builds nice bikes. I like to ride it.

https://i.imgur.com/9KIqGWol.png