PDA

View Full Version : Will rotating bearing direction extend their life?

veggieburger
09-08-2017, 08:45 AM
In other words, let's say for example that I have a front wheel that I have used for 5000 miles. Will I get any additional life out of my bearings by flipping the wheel and having the bearings roll in the opposite direction that they are used to?

The things you think about when you stare at your front wheel for a couple of hours.

Black Dog
09-08-2017, 08:45 AM
No difference.

54ny77
09-08-2017, 09:08 AM
only if you unwrap your bars and re-wrap them in the opposite direction, since bearing rotational wear is directly correlated with the downward pressure applied at the bars, as measured by a turbo encapsulator.

:banana:

Cicli
09-08-2017, 09:13 AM
Yes,
You have to ride uphill going north to make any difference though.

veggieburger
09-08-2017, 09:25 AM
only if you unwrap your bars and re-wrap them in the opposite direction, since bearing rotational wear is directly correlated with the downward pressure applied at the bars, as measured by a turbo encapsulator.

:banana:

Yes, I have done this. I also find that swapping handlebar end caps makes them last twice as long, and inside out bib shorts grants an extra 3 months to chamois life.

I'm all about the hacks.

Mark McM
09-08-2017, 09:26 AM
Yes, I get double the life out of my bearings by alternating between riding forwards and backwards!

http://www.odditycentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Andrew-Hellinga.jpg

godfrey1112000
09-08-2017, 09:31 AM
a quick search on the internets, thanks Al Gore, it is all over the map,

nothing on rotation just cleaning and lube

but the range of life seems go from 10k- 50k miles

but if you uses Ceramic, please do not beat this dead horse
and run rpms similar to an prop plane you might wear them out

For $31 each you could be on the safe side
now at 25000 miles the wear cost would be $0.00124 per mile:eek:

S6802-2RS Sealed Ball Bearing
Premium ABEC-5 Quality with Si3N4 Ceramic Balls
(Silicon Nitride)
15mm x 24mm x 5mm

S6802-2RS Bearing, categorized as thick section, double sealed, radial and deep groove ball bearings,S6802-2RS bearing is made of Stainless Steel with Ceramic Balls (Si3N4) and Stainless steel cage,S6802-2RS bearing is closed with rubber seals to protect the bearing from dust or any possible contamination,S6802-2RS bearing is sealed and self lubricated,the quality is set to EMQ (Premium ABEC-5 quality) to ensure high speed,S6802-2RS bearing is lubricated with grease.
Item: S6802-2RS ball bearing
Type: Deep groove radial ball bearing
Quality: Premium ABEC-5
Material: Stainless Steel
Cage: Stainless Steel
Balls: Ceramic Si3N4
Closures: Double sealed with rubber seals RS/RS1/2RS1
Lubrication: Self Lubricated (Grease SRL) Bearing
Radial Clearance: C0
Dimensions: 15mm x 24mm x 5mm/Metric
ID (inner diameter)/Bore=15mm
OD (outer diameter)=24mm
Width/Height/thickness=5mm
Equal: 6802-2RS1 & 6802-2RZ
Size: 15 x 24 x 5 mm
Quantity: One Bearing
Equivalents: S61802-2RS1 P4 and S61802RS1 Bearings

FWIW I have a set of 303's with just under 31k miles in 3.75 season, not a peep out of them, I think I will have them cleaned this winter

personally I would just ride them into the ground

as you can see it is Friday Morning dead in the office, tired of hearing about Irma and heading out to ride the rest of the day

Stephen

54ny77
09-08-2017, 10:09 AM
You do realize that if you apply chamois cream to your helmet, it extends your shoe cleat wear, don't you?

Yes, I have done this. I also find that swapping handlebar end caps makes them last twice as long, and inside out bib shorts grants an extra 3 months to chamois life.

I'm all about the hacks.

sandyrs
09-08-2017, 10:15 AM
If you move to Australia all your ruined bearings get a second life (or from Australia to the northern hemisphere)

godfrey1112000
09-08-2017, 10:18 AM
If you move to Australia all your ruined bearings get a second life (or from Australia to the northern hemisphere)

because you are riding upside down?:bike:

oldpotatoe
09-08-2017, 10:27 AM
Yes but only north of the equator, change it back if you ride in Australia:eek::)

veggieburger
09-08-2017, 10:39 AM
You do realize that if you apply chamois cream to your helmet, it extends your shoe cleat wear, don't you?

I heard about this one. Very valuable.

In addition, grocery bags inside of water bottles not only keep your drinks colder for an additional 2 minutes, but they also extend the life of your water bottles.

Sometimes I steal ketchup packets and eat them like Clif shots. Money saved, sugar/salt absorbed...it's a win-win.

Peter P.
09-08-2017, 06:00 PM
Yes but only north of the equator, change it back if you ride in Australia:eek::)

You must ride the velodromes in the southern hemisphere clockwise.

donevwil
09-08-2017, 06:22 PM
To maximize the benefit you should also re-install the bearings upside down and must, at the same time, do the same with the chain. Forgetting this step will likely cause a high amplitude, asymmetric resonance that will undoubtedly lead to front end shimmy.

ergott
09-08-2017, 09:49 PM
In other words, let's say for example that I have a front wheel that I have used for 5000 miles. Will I get any additional life out of my bearings by flipping the wheel and having the bearings roll in the opposite direction that they are used to?

The things you think about when you stare at your front wheel for a couple of hours.Without any comedy routine, no. You'll do more damage to the bearings removing and reinstalling them each time. Bearing pullers aren't exactly gentle on a bearing that has a proper tight fit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Dead Man
09-08-2017, 10:37 PM
since bearing rotational wear is directly correlated with the downward pressure applied at the bars, as measured by a turbo encapsulator.

I might recommend a more modern Rockwell Automatic retro-encabulator.

The only new principle involved is that instead of power being generated by the relative motion of conductors and fluxes, it's produced by the modial interaction of magnetoreluctants and capacitive deractants.

Automatically synchronizes cardinal gram-meters.

choke
09-08-2017, 11:25 PM
Forget the bearings, what you need is an oscillation overthruster....it will take your riding to a new dimension.

veggieburger
09-09-2017, 06:37 AM
Without any comedy routine, no. You'll do more damage to the bearings removing and reinstalling them each time. Bearing pullers aren't exactly gentle on a bearing that has a proper tight fit.

Kidding aside...I was thinking that if the front wheel was flipped, the bearings that may have been ground down somewhat from rolling in a particular direction would then be given some new life, similar to rotation the tires on your car.

I was running on 5 hrs sleep and pedalling when this thought hit me. I realize it has very little chance of being a practical application...or actually making any difference at all.

ergott
09-09-2017, 06:42 AM
Nope. You would be committing a cardinal sin flipping wheel because the labels would be facing the wrong way.

09-09-2017, 11:08 AM
Bunch of a**holes here. I'm still waiting for the answer. Life depends on it.

cmbicycles
09-09-2017, 12:48 PM
Rotate the axles 90 degrees every 25 miles, and replace the grease with polishing compound. Then after 100 miles clean out the polishing compound and add fresh grease. It's like instant ceramic bearings, they will spin forever.

pasadena
09-09-2017, 01:11 PM
baboon butt is real

I'm all about the hacks.