PDA

View Full Version : Tubular Mounting Question

DG24
09-08-2017, 08:03 AM
I recently glued up a pair of tubulars for a re-build, however my front fork/brake combination did not accommodate the tire.

The wheels have been sitting for about two months while I've prograstinated about what to do.

I finally have a replacement tire that is stretch on the intended rim and appears to fit without any problems.

My question is whether I need to start the process all over again and remove all/any of the original glue from the rim, or will a quick coat or two be good enough.

I followed the two coats (drying in between) and a quick final coat on the rim when installing the first tire.

Of course I will apply to required coats to the base tape of the new tires first.

For those that might be curious, the fork is an EC90 with a Campy Super Record caliper. Tire was an FMB PR 25/ tan sidewall. Had to switch to a Veloflex 23 because the PRs do not come in a 23 and the FMB Competitions, which did have a 23mm tan sidewall, have been recently discontinued for a replacement tire that only comes with a black sidewall.

Thanks.

Dave

oldpotatoe
09-08-2017, 08:12 AM
I recently glued up a pair of tubulars for a re-build, however my front fork/brake combination did not accommodate the tire.

The wheels have been sitting for about two months while I've prograstinated about what to do.

I finally have a replacement tire that is stretch on the intended rim and appears to fit without any problems.

My question is whether I need to start the process all over again and remove all/any of the original glue from the rim, or will a quick coat or two be good enough.

I followed the two coats (drying in between) and a quick final coat on the rim when installing the first tire.

Of course I will apply to required coats to the base tape of the new tires first.

For those that might be curious, the fork is an EC90 with a Campy Super Record caliper. Tire was an FMB PR 25/ tan sidewall. Had to switch to a Veloflex 23 because the PRs do not come in a 23 and the FMB Competitions, which did have a 23mm tan sidewall, have been recently discontinued for a replacement tire that only comes with a black sidewall.

Thanks.

Dave

Glue the new tire, thin coat and then immediately
Glue the new tire, thin coat(second coat) and then immediately
Glue the new tire, thin coat(third coat)
When third coat on tire no longer 'sticky'(about 15 minutes), thin coat on rim-mount tire, center, wait 24 hours, go ride.

No need to remove anything from the rim. THIn coats, no need to goop a bunch on there..I use a can of tubie glue and solvent brush..

EDS
09-08-2017, 08:15 AM
As long as you do not have base tape or other gunk stuck to the old glue on the rim just put a new smoothing coat over it and mount the new pre-stretched tire (with appropriate amounts of glue on the base tape).

rwsaunders
09-08-2017, 08:33 AM
Take a look at the Veloflex Roubaix as it comes in a tan wall and it's a hair under 25mm. The FMB tend to fun a little fat and the Veloflex is a better tire imho, in terms of build quality and longevity.

ultraman6970
09-08-2017, 08:55 AM
dismount the old one, glue on top and good to go.

DG24
09-08-2017, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the replies. Was hoping that I didn't have to start back all the way to square one (at least with the rim).

The new tire is a Veloflex Criterium in 23mm. The seems to be plenty of room. Enough so that I suspect a 25mm Veloflex may just work.

Still have the FMB on the back. But when the FMBs wear out, I think I will try the Veloflex Roubaix.

Appreciate the guidance.

Dave

b3pkay
09-09-2017, 11:11 AM
I have some tubulars coming in the mail any day now to put on some old, new to me, Cane Creek Volos track wheels. When I bought them the rear had a leak near the valve stem so I removed the tire and wanting to start fresh spent hours and hours removing the old glue/tape residue. Just pulled the front off and not sure I want to commit to the same cleaning. The tape the previous owner used came off pretty clean but has left an incredibly sticky residue on the rim--good to glue over? It's smooth, but I just wanted to check to see if the glue would adhere to the rim well over the tape residue.

rwsaunders
09-09-2017, 11:42 AM
^ https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=94208

oldpotatoe
09-09-2017, 12:41 PM
I have some tubulars coming in the mail any day now to put on some old, new to me, Cane Creek Volos track wheels. When I bought them the rear had a leak near the valve stem so I removed the tire and wanting to start fresh spent hours and hours removing the old glue/tape residue. Just pulled the front off and not sure I want to commit to the same cleaning. The tape the previous owner used came off pretty clean but has left an incredibly sticky residue on the rim--good to glue over? It's smooth, but I just wanted to check to see if the glue would adhere to the rim well over the tape residue.

Yes, glue over...no issue.

b3pkay
09-09-2017, 01:45 PM
Thanks, folks.