PDA

View Full Version : Replacing tubes on Bridgestone XO-1?

mt2u77
09-07-2017, 04:33 PM
A little while back, my local university system surplus outlet sold a pile of bike frames. Someone who knew bikes must have been hording the "good stuff" and whoever did the pricing obviously knew nothing about bikes. I walked out of there with a pile of treasures including a $15 complete Reynolds 853 Schwinn Circuit, a bunch of Ibis Ti stuff, and a $2.50 Bridgestone XO-1 frame!

Spotting the tail end of that sucker sticking out of a pile felt like finding Excalibur, but alas, I must not be the true king-- I giddily pulled it out to reveal a completely mangled front end. The fork was gone and both the top and down tubes were severely kinked behind the head lugs. Someone must have ridden it (hard) into an immovable object-- so sad. I bought it for wall art anyway.

Enough people have asked me if I am going to fix it that I decided I'd at least ask the Paceliners about it. At a minimum, it'd require replacing the top and down tubes, a new paint job, sourcing an appropriate fork (prob. impossible to find an original), and components. And when that's all done, I'm not even sure if you really consider it an XO-1 any more. I'm guessing it'd cost more than the value of even that cultish bike, and I have no attachment to it. So, back of the napkin swag, what would it cost to replace both tubes assuming the lugs are still good?

As is, it's great wall art and a conversation starter. Unless this is a way cheaper job than I expect, I'll leave it as is and let it try to explain it's tragic ending to all who enter my bike room.

Lurvey
09-07-2017, 04:39 PM
A mpls builder recently quoted me $600 for replacing a top-tube and down-tube on a lugged bike. Too much for my project.

josephr
09-07-2017, 04:42 PM
You'd probably have to sell the Circuit to fund the tube replacement on the XO1. Probably better as wall art...or, when someone recommends refurbishment, offer to sell it for a few hundred bucks b/c obviously they're in need of a project bike. Use the $ to buy parts for other bikes and maybe a case or two of really good beer. :beer:

weaponsgrade
09-07-2017, 05:35 PM
Sounds like a perfect candidate for replacement with wood tubes: http://www.cycleexif.com/myrrh-cycles-mtb

bigbill
09-07-2017, 08:42 PM
Steve Garro (Coconino Cycles) was planning on building some MB-1 type bikes, you might reach out to him to see if he can do the repair. Might have the tubes on hand.