PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo inner cables only?

paredown
09-06-2017, 11:52 AM
Had to raid a complete older Campagnolo 10 speed set to replace some inners--

Can you buy Campy inners separately?

Or is there a good equivalent?

Last idiot's question--are the cables the same for:
Campy 8
Campy 10
Campy 11 /newish 10 like Ultrashift

(Facing a high level of confusion as I clean up the bike stash...)

cmbicycles
09-06-2017, 11:59 AM
You can buy inner wires separately, jag wire also made some campy specific wires.

Ralph
09-06-2017, 12:05 PM
I usually use the Jagwire Campy specific inners (end is smaller than Shimano). Inners all the same from 8 speed days. Housing smaller now though.

ultraman6970
09-06-2017, 12:07 PM
If the LBS only carry jagwire for shimano just get those and dremel the head to fit. Will be like 30 seconds with the dremel. grease and good to go.

bikinchris
09-06-2017, 12:44 PM
Yes, dealers can buy (Genuine Campy) shift cables in as few as 10 in a package.

oldpotatoe
09-06-2017, 01:35 PM
Had to raid a complete older Campagnolo 10 speed set to replace some inners--

Can you buy Campy inners separately?

Or is there a good equivalent?

Last idiot's question--are the cables the same for:
Campy 8
Campy 10
Campy 11 /newish 10 like Ultrashift

(Facing a high level of confusion as I clean up the bike stash...)

Yes you can buy ,Campagnolo inners(I have them)-$7 per
Jagwire has them also, small end to fit into ERGO levers
For any ERGO 'speed..

Blown Reek
09-06-2017, 03:11 PM
The Yokozuna cables are really nice.

carpediemracing
09-07-2017, 10:03 PM
I buy the shaved 1.1mm gear wire (I think that's the thinner one, vs 1.2mm?). File down the head. Test fit the head, if it fits easily it's good to go.

I also use Nokons and the 1.1 make the gear cable practically friction free. Use the liner the entire length (I leave a section free to allow for some stretching/etc).

For brakes it's all the same, and they wear so much slower that I think I still have all Campy cables for my brakes.

bigbill
09-08-2017, 09:15 AM
I've got 4-5 campy 11 speed cables in my tool box. I got them from Universal Cycles. They have had all the campy small parts I've needed. As a campy guy in a small town far away from larger bike shops, I keep a stock of parts in my garage including UT bearings. If I want to ride, I'm going to ride.

gfk_velo
09-09-2017, 05:08 PM
I buy the shaved 1.1mm gear wire (I think that's the thinner one, vs 1.2mm?). File down the head. Test fit the head, if it fits easily it's good to go.

I also use Nokons and the 1.1 make the gear cable practically friction free. Use the liner the entire length (I leave a section free to allow for some stretching/etc).

For brakes it's all the same, and they wear so much slower that I think I still have all Campy cables for my brakes.

In some cases 1.1 doesn't work at all well.

Had a bike bought in to the SC by a very experienced retailer a couple of weeks ago he was really struggling with. Outwardly, looked like all-Campag (the outers were Campag) and it was an immaculate build, I checked cable ends (cut dead square and ground off), metal ferrules, hanger, limit screws, the whole 9 yards ...

I couldn't get it to index well myself until he mentioned he had decided to try using 1.1 mm inners - I replaced with Campag - then it was spot on. No kinks or other damage to the inners that the retailer had fitted.

I didn't make any other changes ...

Campagnolo ProShops should carry these cables loose, most in the UK that I know of do, possibly not all elsewhere, I have no info on those not in our local market.

oldpotatoe
09-09-2017, 08:15 PM
In some cases 1.1 doesn't work at all well.

Had a bike bought in to the SC by a very experienced retailer a couple of weeks ago he was really struggling with. Outwardly, looked like all-Campag (the outers were Campag) and it was an immaculate build, I checked cable ends (cut dead square and ground off), metal ferrules, hanger, limit screws, the whole 9 yards ...

I couldn't get it to index well myself until he mentioned he had decided to try using 1.1 mm inners - I replaced with Campag - then it was spot on. No kinks or other damage to the inners that the retailer had fitted.

I didn't make any other changes ...

Campagnolo ProShops should carry these cables loose, most in the UK that I know of do, possibly not all elsewhere, I have no info on those not in our local market.

Ya know, I've seen that on 11s Campagnolo as well. Just doesn't like a 1.1mm cable but 1.2 spot on..wonder if 1.1 stretches in use..donno.

Ronsonic
09-09-2017, 10:27 PM
My experience sez: Just get the Campy cables. They are available in better stores everywhere and they never get stuck in the lever and they always work great and the price is not unreasonable.

If you live somewhere that doesn't have them on the shelf, order them online.

My only gripe is with lengths, the cable & housing kit doesn't have enough housing for some bikes and the "front" cable is about 3" too short for my whatever-bike's top routed run.

SoCalSteve
09-10-2017, 12:23 AM
I've got 4-5 campy 11 speed cables in my tool box. I got them from Universal Cycles. They have had all the campy small parts I've needed. As a campy guy in a small town far away from larger bike shops, I keep a stock of parts in my garage including UT bearings. If I want to ride, I'm going to ride.

I like your attitude!!!

dddd
09-10-2017, 10:57 AM
I have many times had to make do by modifying the head of a Shimano or standard cable end.

I use a file, because stone wheels tend to clog or load up the surface when abrading soft metals. It does take me a solid few minutes to "craftsmanly" reduce the cable end, but it's safe, and is unlikely to damage the wire if the file is kept from scratching any strands.

Buzz-kill alert:

I especially want to warn against going near a bench grinder with a cable in order to grind down the end, as one can easily end up with one less limb or digit should the bouncing cable end find itself pulled along the wheel's travel path.

ultraman6970
09-10-2017, 02:26 PM
Grinder stone? I wouldnt put those heads in those things even if it was the last resort, and actually i have a small grinder, crossed my mind to use it once but then I looked at my fingers...no way..., one mistake and you can get a cut.

The problem with the grinder is that you need to put the head really close of it wont work, with the dremel you can hold the cable maybe 1 or 3 inches away and will work just fine.

With a dremel is fast an easy, just put the grinder cylinder thingy, start the dremel and do opposite circles between the dremel grinder and the cable head, will eat the surface evenly, 1 or 2 minutes and good to go.