PDA

View Full Version : How to keep chain/ring grease off leg/shoes?

simplemind
09-05-2017, 05:15 PM
:help:
For some reason, I never get black stains from the chain/ring on my leg on my mountain bike, however it always occurs on my road bike. I must be doing something wrong, but I can't figure it out.

weisan
09-05-2017, 05:22 PM
make the mtb your road bike. problem solved.

JAGI410
09-05-2017, 05:52 PM
Larger chainring on the road bike, hence a smaller avoidance area. Likely too much chain lube as well.

09-05-2017, 05:57 PM
It's called s. t. y. l. e.

dustyrider
09-05-2017, 06:24 PM
Hmm...I've got more than one pair of pants with a nice partial chainring print on the right leg. Not sure it's avoidable without a full chain guard or a dry chain lube. I pretty much just figure it sets me apart from everyone else!

thwart
09-05-2017, 06:29 PM
:help:
For some reason, I never get black stains from the chain/ring on my leg on my mountain bike, however it always occurs on my road bike. I must be doing something wrong, but I can't figure it out.

Stop signs... and putting your right foot down a bit too close to the bike.

avalonracing
09-05-2017, 06:31 PM
We used call them Cat 5 tattoos. Since then I've met a couple of guys who actually got the chainring mark tattooed on their calf.

rwsaunders
09-05-2017, 07:31 PM
Stop signs... and putting your right foot down a bit too close to the bike.

What Thwart says...when pulling over to stop, leave your right foot clipped in and exit the pedals first with your left foot.

Brian Cdn
09-05-2017, 09:59 PM
Keep both feet clipped in at stops and practice "track stands"..

charliedid
09-06-2017, 09:26 AM
belt drive

katematt
09-06-2017, 09:30 AM
Rookie marks and I've thought about getting that tattoo.

Left foot out, and right foot high ready to pedal.

We used call them Cat 5 tattoos. Since then I've met a couple of guys who actually got the chainring mark tattooed on their calf.

simplemind
09-06-2017, 09:37 AM
make the mtb your road bike. problem solved.

Larger chainring on the road bike, hence a smaller avoidance area. Likely too much chain lube as well.

belt drive

Keep both feet clipped in at stops and practice "track stands"..

Now I'm embarased that I posted such a ridiculous question...:eek:

What...no one said I should keep my chain clean! Well, I do use a dry wax based lube, and yes I likely use too much, but better than too little, right!?

Okay, now I'm in search of an efficient, light, enclosed drive shaft bike transmision...anyone have that yet?

Tony
09-06-2017, 09:42 AM
Now I'm embarased that I posted such a ridiculous question...:eek:

What...no one said I should keep my chain clean! Well, I do use a dry wax based lube, and yes I likely use too much, but better than too little, right!?

Okay, now I'm in search of an efficient, light, enclosed drive shaft bike transmision...anyone have that yet?

Not really, may be worse in some cases.
Try wiping down your chain before and after a ride, this will solve ur problem. Takes just a minute and keeps the drivetrain clean.

Lewis Moon
09-06-2017, 09:48 AM
If you're wearing pants it's almost inevitable, unless you're some millennial with toothpick legs and bespoke, Lycra infused skinny jeans. I just cut to the chase and roll both pant legs up to my knees. My attitude is: "Hey, I'm a cyclist and you're not".

sandyrs
09-06-2017, 09:49 AM
Not really, may be worse in some cases.
Try wiping down your chain before and after a ride, this will solve ur problem. Takes just a minute and keeps the drivetrain clean.

This, or even just wipe it down after every couple rides. Goes a long way.

pncguy
09-06-2017, 09:52 AM
... I've met a couple of guys who actually got the chainring mark tattooed on their calf.

I don't do tattoos, but I have half a mind to get one of these on my LEFT calf. But I think 99% of the world wouldn't even get it and they'd just think I had grease on my calf.

Bentley
09-06-2017, 10:03 AM
Honestly I only get "marked up" occasionally, Its typically when I am trying to do something without thought as opposed to intent. Basically if I am mounting or dismounting and not paying attention.

Ray

simplemind
09-06-2017, 11:00 AM
Honestly I only get "marked up" occasionally, Its typically when I am trying to do something without thought as opposed to intent. Basically if I am mounting or dismounting and not paying attention.

Ray

LoL...it's getting worse! This is me ALL the time!

It doesn't help that I have new SIDI's in....you guessed it....WHITE!

jtbadge
09-06-2017, 11:01 AM
I don't do tattoos, but I have half a mind to get one of these on my LEFT calf. But I think 99% of the world wouldn't even get it and they'd just think I had grease on my calf.

I never get them on my right leg, but somehow manage to get them on my left leg while pushing the bike down the hallway at least once a month.