PDA

View Full Version : OT: For the Twin Cities Folks and the Older Punks

ptourkin
09-05-2017, 08:54 AM
The long awaited Husker stuff is showing up. I've been listening loudly all morning:

"No one who loves punk should live without the Hüsker Dü catalog. With the exception of Bad Brains, no hardcore band of the early '80s played faster or with more bite, and not even Bad Brains wrote better tunes — and hardcore was only the beginning of Hüsker Dü's range. From 1982 to 1987, the band issued seven superb albums (counting 1983's Metal Circus 12-inch EP, their first for SST) that remained louder than hell while exploring everything from folk to psychedelia to pure pop — albeit as heard through a lint filter much of the time."

http://www.npr.org/2017/09/05/547854997/first-listen-husker-du-savage-young-du

clyde the point
09-05-2017, 08:55 AM
Thx
Saw them at Emory University in ATL in the mid 80's.

93KgBike
09-05-2017, 09:05 AM
The only hardcore I still throw on is Bad Brains and GBH. But I play Zen Arcade every once in a while. Maybe you're right, time to visit those boxes in the attic again...

jtakeda
09-05-2017, 09:15 AM
This is pretty cool. Numero does a very good job with their reissues so this should be interesting.

Considering I already have all this stuff I probably won't be shelling out $40+ for it but if any of you Midwest hardcore heads wanna sell your old wax to a collector shoot me a line!

Geeheeb
09-05-2017, 09:19 AM
greg ginn. worst greg.

daker13
09-05-2017, 11:52 AM
I was never a big fan of that early stuff, but am intrigued about talk of new tapes, new mixes, etc.. New Day Rising holds a special place in my consciousness. Will check it out. Saw them at UMass in 80 something, Warehouses tour.

daker13
09-05-2017, 11:56 AM
"No one who loves punk should live without the Hüsker Dü catalog. With the exception of Bad Brains, no hardcore band of the early '80s played faster or with more bite, and not even Bad Brains wrote better tunes — and hardcore was only the beginning of Hüsker Dü's range. From 1982 to 1987, the band issued seven superb albums (counting 1983's Metal Circus 12-inch EP, their first for SST) that remained louder than hell while exploring everything from folk to psychedelia to pure pop — albeit as heard through a lint filter much of the time."

http://www.npr.org/2017/09/05/547854997/first-listen-husker-du-savage-young-du

Just my opinion, but anyone who thinks Huskers were a better hardcore band than Minor Threat is deranged. I think their strength was that both Mould and Hart were great songwriters, but I don't think their hardcore stuff was anything special. Maybe the box set will open my eyes...

ptourkin
09-05-2017, 01:51 PM
Just my opinion, but anyone who thinks Huskers were a better hardcore band than Minor Threat is deranged. I think their strength was that both Mould and Hart were great songwriters, but I don't think their hardcore stuff was anything special. Maybe the box set will open my eyes...

Yeah, I doubt anyone would argue with that. There is some hyperbole there. I saw the Huskers many times and always loved the old hardcore stuff - I like LSR and Metal Circus more than New Day Rising onward, although Flip Your Wig worked for me. Bob is playing some of the old hardcore live now - It's Not Funny Anymore happens a lot.

Warehouse doesn't do much for me and that tour was depressing and it was obvious they were coming apart.

Greg is a supreme dick. He still owes me money I'll never see for more than one thing. I did love pre-Rollins Black Flag though.

echelon_john
09-05-2017, 02:06 PM
Top 3 favorite bands of all time. And definitely the one that's most in need of re-mixed/engineered sound. So tinny, for what was just a monstrous band on stage!

This is great news.

GOTHBROOKS
09-05-2017, 02:20 PM
this band suuuuuuuuuucks and ginns not remixing/remastering anything because that would mean rewriting contracts and he would have to pay ppl for once.

the white zombie vinyl boxset numero did last year looks great though.

Tony Edwards
09-05-2017, 02:23 PM
Top 3 favorite bands of all time. And definitely the one that's most in need of re-mixed/engineered sound. So tinny, for what was just a monstrous band on stage!

This is great news.

Totally agree. I loved Husker Du - I remember seeing them for the first time at a basement party in junior high in Minneapolis and saw them at least ten times live - but their records tend to sound very tinny.

redir
09-05-2017, 02:30 PM
Cool!

ptourkin
09-05-2017, 02:34 PM
this band suuuuuuuuuucks and ginns not remixing/remastering anything because that would mean rewriting contracts and he would have to pay ppl for once.

the white zombie vinyl boxset numero did last year looks great though.

I always thought White Zombie was just something MTV pretended people liked.

Tony Edwards
09-05-2017, 02:39 PM
I always thought White Zombie was just something MTV pretended people liked.

I liked La Sexorcisto at the time.

I remember seeing White Zombie at an in-store in about 1990 and it was striking mostly because Rob Zombie couldn't keep his breath while singing. It was as though he'd run to the venue. Very strange.

marsh
09-05-2017, 02:42 PM
The only hardcore I still throw on is Bad Brains and GBH. But I play Zen Arcade every once in a while. Maybe you're right, time to visit those boxes in the attic again...

- Both will be at Riot Fest in a few weeks. Seeing GBH Friday night and Buzzcocks Saturday night aftershows. Also Bob Mould played last year.
I remember a few songs from Zen Arcade.

GonaSovereign
09-05-2017, 02:58 PM
Great news. I'm going to put on my old New Day Rising shirt to celebrate.

d_douglas
09-05-2017, 04:47 PM
I love the principle of Husker Du, but when I listen to these tracks it reminds me of how unlistenable their music was 95% of the time. I am sorry.

Black Flag, however, still gets a spin on my Iphone every once in a while when I am mowing the lawn or whatever - they were my guiding light as a teenager ::!

gomango
09-05-2017, 04:59 PM
Greg hired me at Northern Lights.

He was managing the St. Paul Northern Lights at the time.

Very cool to hang out in the basement listening to them practice while they were still a four piece....

Every Friday night we'd bring down a twelve pack and hang before we would head out to the club.

FWIW Saw the first show at Christiansen's bar in STP and a little over 50 shows after that.

Fun seeing this material coming out at this point, but rest assured Terri Katzman will have some interesting tapes in the vaults.

ptourkin
09-05-2017, 05:26 PM
Greg hired me at Northern Lights.

He was managing the St. Paul Northern Lights at the time.

Very cool to hang out in the basement listening to them practice while they were still a four piece....

Every Friday night we'd bring down a twelve pack and hang before we would head out to the club.

FWIW Saw the first show at Christiansen's bar in STP and a little over 50 shows after that.

Fun seeing this material coming out at this point, but rest assured Terri Katzman will have some interesting tapes in the vaults.

Wow! History.

I saw Social Distortion's first gig in a pool at Marina Skatepark but their historical impact is hardly the same unless you still wear wifebeaters.

daker13
09-05-2017, 08:06 PM
I saw the Huskers many times and always loved the old hardcore stuff - I like LSR and Metal Circus more than New Day Rising onward, although Flip Your Wig worked for me.

I've talked to people who shared your view, but me, I got hooked with Zen Arcade and "Eight Miles High," then the next three. None of these are bad sounding albums (Zen Arcade's not great sounding), but the drum sound on Flip Your Wig is truly weird.

Too bad there's not a Husker Du jersey... I was hiking once in my Huskers t-shirt and ran into a Danish woman, who was very surprised to see her language on my shirt!

Shout out to Our Could Be Your Life, with some great chapters on Minneapolis indie rock (never been there myself, though).

alexstar
09-06-2017, 03:25 PM
Excellent news. Bob Mould is like a god to me.

redir
09-06-2017, 03:49 PM
I love the principle of Husker Du, but when I listen to these tracks it reminds me of how unlistenable their music was 95% of the time. I am sorry.

Black Flag, however, still gets a spin on my Iphone every once in a while when I am mowing the lawn or whatever - they were my guiding light as a teenager ::!

I set up a Black Flag Pandora station for the sole purpose of mowing the lawn :)

It's pretty good for running 5K's too.

ptourkin
09-14-2017, 08:42 AM
Bob posted this this morning:

It was the Fall of 1978. I was attending Macalester College in St. Paul, Minnesota. One block from my dormitory was a tiny store called Cheapo Records. There was a PA system set up near the front door blaring punk rock. I went inside and ended up hanging out with the only person in the shop. His name was Grant Hart.

The next nine years of my life was spent side-by-side with Grant. We made amazing music together. We (almost) always agreed on how to present our collective work to the world. When we fought about the details, it was because we both cared. The band was our life. It was an amazing decade.

We stopped working together in January 1988. We went on to solo careers, fronting our own bands, finding different ways to tell our individual stories. We stayed in contact over the next 29 years — sometimes peaceful, sometimes difficult, sometimes through go-betweens. For better or worse, that’s how it was, and occasionally that’s what it is when two people care deeply about everything they built together.

The tragic news of Grant’s passing was not unexpected to me. My deepest condolences and thoughts to Grant’s family, friends, and fans around the world.

Grant Hart was a gifted visual artist, a wonderful story teller, and a frighteningly talented musician. Everyone touched by his spirit will always remember.

Godspeed, Grant. I miss you. Be with the angels.

daker13
09-14-2017, 08:49 AM
RIP Grant Hart, such a great songwriter and musician

rst72
09-14-2017, 09:08 AM
Sugar - Copper Blue...I recently rediscovered this album and forgot how good it was. It has to be one of Mould's best.

Speaking of punk/hardcore, i highly recommend a band called Really Red. Check out Teaching You The Fear...one of the best albums to come out of Texas.

redir
09-14-2017, 11:32 AM
What a sad bummer. 56 way too young.

verticaldoug
09-14-2017, 11:52 AM
I remember the early 80's scene in Mpls with The Replacements, Suburbs, Flamin Ohs, but tend to think that indie scene hit the xenith with the Suburbs Waiting. 2 years after that everything was just consumed by Prince and 1st Avenue. And that scene was so much more fun.

I'm trying to remember the name of the Reggae cover band that toured around the twin cities and hit the colleges in the early 80's? Anyone remember those guys?