PDA

View Full Version : Dia Compe straddle carrier slipping!

jasonification
09-03-2017, 08:00 PM
Hey forum! Just picked up a cheap commuter bike which I plan to start using for work. It uses Dia Compe cantilever brakes. I noticed the pads were pretty worn out so I replaced them and adjusted the brakes accordingly. Unfortunately, after fixing the brakes up, whenever I squeeze the front brakes, the cable connected to the straddle carrier slips up, and I get no power in braking. I've tried multiple times to re-setup the straddle carrier, but to no avail. Any suggestions?

cmbicycles
09-03-2017, 08:03 PM
The brake cable slips in the straddle cable yoke, or the straddle cable slips in the cantilever, or the brake pads themselves slip? Either way, something is still loose. It maybe a washer is out of place/missing and one of your bolts is bottoming out before it can get tight enough.

jasonification
09-03-2017, 08:05 PM
The brake cable slips in the straddle cable yoke, or the straddle cable slips.in the caliper, or the brake pads slip?

The brake cable!

Hindmost
09-03-2017, 09:18 PM
The back brake works fine? As suggested check for the position of washers, etc on the straddle carrier.

Are you able to put a wrench on the back and front of the straddle carrier and tighten the nut firmly? I am trying to imagine what your straddle carrier looks like.

Ken Robb
09-04-2017, 11:21 AM
I had a similar experience ONCE until I realized how much pressure I needed to use on that tiny nut/bolt. I absolutely needed to use a wrench on both sides. If that doesn't work for you it may be because the cable was too distorted by over-tightening when the last guy installed it that it now behaves like many little wires instead of one "big" cable. I'm guessing here because I have always been able to get mine tight enough even though the second time I use the cable it is pretty mangled from the first time.

dddd
09-04-2017, 11:44 PM
As cmbicycles mentioned, I think that a washer might be needed under the hex nut, so that it doesn't reach the end of the threads on the cable clamping bolt.
Today's cable wires are typically smaller and thinner than old-days wires, so for example often slip at the clamp on older Campagnolo derailers, because the cable groove is deep enough for the bolt/washer to bottom before full clamping pressure on the cable wire is realized.
Today's cable wires need the full benefit of all tightening torque actually clamping the smooth stainless wires.
The cable straddle carriers I've worked on are not prone to slipping unless the nut isn't fully tightened or the threaded interface is reaching tightness on something other than the cable.

jasonification
09-05-2017, 01:19 AM
I had a similar experience ONCE until I realized how much pressure I needed to use on that tiny nut/bolt. I absolutely needed to use a wrench on both sides. If that doesn't work for you it may be because the cable was too distorted by over-tightening when the last guy installed it that it now behaves like many little wires instead of one "big" cable. I'm guessing here because I have always been able to get mine tight enough even though the second time I use the cable it is pretty mangled from the first time.Thanks folks! I think I need to add a second wrench to my arsenal!

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk