PDA

View Full Version : How do YOU deal with trail dust?

Lewis Moon
09-03-2017, 08:57 AM
Arizona isn't known for mud, but we have dust out the wazoo. How do you folks deal with dusty bikes? I'm not much into washing my new Swiss Cross after every ride and was wondering if just wiping down the chain and blowing it off with the compressor was the best way to de-dustify.

ultraman6970
09-03-2017, 09:02 AM
Easy.... move to another state :P

If you have the bike well waxed the dust will be easier to remove, same with grease.

csm
09-03-2017, 09:08 AM
Hasn't been much of an issue in PA this year... seems like it rains nearly every third day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

R3awak3n
09-03-2017, 09:15 AM
I let the bike get dirty for a few rides than clean, I have no time or patience to clean my bike after every ride.

Its funny, when it comes to cars, white cars stay cleaner longer, but when it comes to bikes, white bikes get filthy real quick (1 ride) so my blue, green bike looks cleaner for longer, my white hampsten is always dirty so I life with it. 5-10 rides then clean.

Tony
09-03-2017, 09:22 AM
Its been a dusty year on my local mtb trails, real bad on some of my favorite trails. Also don't want to wash my bikes after every ride, however I do run the chain through a soapy rag than spray off the drivetrain including ring, cassette, rear dr and chain. I wipe down the drivetrain with a dry rag let it sit over night than lube the chain.

Steve in SLO
09-03-2017, 09:24 AM
I use a wet rag on mine to wipe the dust off the tubes and major components.

Peter P.
09-03-2017, 09:33 AM
If you don't like dust, then just brush it off with a soft brush such as comes with a dustpan. I keep one handy in the trunk of my car if I've driven to a trailhead so I can clean the bike before putting it or the wheels in my car. If I've ridden from home, I merely stop at my car before bringing the bike inside and grab the brush.

Sometimes an assortment of brushes is needed; stiffer/smaller brushes for more stubborn material or tight spaces.

Slipstream
09-03-2017, 09:40 AM
Compressed air works well

John H.
09-03-2017, 09:54 AM
It is a bad idea to leave a bike dirty- If there is dust all over the bike, the drivetrain is certainly dirty.

Give it a 5 minute wash after each ride.

1.) Put in stand

2.) Hose off bike to get most dust and dirt

3.) Spray a bit of degreaser on chain and cassette

4.) Run a chain cleaner over chain (with soap and water)

5.) Quickly scrub cassette and chainrings

6.) Clean frame and wheels with soapy sponge

7.) Rinse

I can do this in about 5 minutes-

gdw
09-03-2017, 11:27 AM
Dust doesn't cause rust so I just keep the drivetrain clean and lubed.

dddd
09-03-2017, 11:50 AM
I only bother to wipe off the chain with a terrycloth rag before lubing.

I use a solvent-diluted oil so will only bother to saturate the chain and wipe off the mobilized detritus perhaps every third time that I apply lube, which is after every ride and usually just one quick pass of the chain's length under a fine, continuous stream of the diluted lube.

The dust on the bike seems to do no harm, it is dry here so dust is a given, and, along with the tires and wider rims, gives the bike it's regional character.

If/when I do hose the bike off, I use only a raining mist to first soak, then rinse the bike off. It helps to first remove any oily residues while it's dry, and to follow up the washing with a lubing of the chain.

Hey, these are dirt bikes, right?

sdrides
09-03-2017, 12:16 PM
I don't use compressed air or high pressure water, you don't really want those fluids everywhere in your bike. I use a hose with no nozzle and a long handled brush from Napa with long/soft bristles. Water down part of the bike while scrubbing with the brush, then rinse and move on to the next section. Dry the chain with a rag. No chemicals other than chain lube before every ride, takes about 60 seconds to keep a very clean bike going. Wax every so often helps with the dust too.

Ken Robb
09-03-2017, 12:59 PM
I'll bet one of the Swiffer products might work well.

vqdriver
09-03-2017, 03:11 PM
don't think it's practical to clean a bike after each ride. they're meant to be outdoors and won't explode if they get dirty. however, dirty and neglected are two different things, and obviously a pristine drivetrain will last longer but who among us can claim to have a pristine drivetrain year round.

methinks compressed air is great for quickly blowing dust off post ride. if you can use a 'dry' lube things get easier in around the drivetrain.

Lewis Moon
09-03-2017, 03:38 PM
don't think it's practical to clean a bike after each ride. they're meant to be outdoors and won't explode if they get dirty. however, dirty and neglected are two different things, and obviously a pristine drivetrain will last longer but who among us can claim to have a pristine drivetrain year round.

methinks compressed air is great for quickly blowing dust off post ride. if you can use a 'dry' lube things get easier in around the drivetrain.

Dry lube only in AZ. ...and I don't dust off every ride, it's just that the bike comes into my office, so a certain amount of decorum is reqyired.

vqdriver
09-03-2017, 04:18 PM
yeah, i can see how that can be a deal. how about carrying a can of compressed air and a rag? dirty/wet tires may actually be more of an issue than dust.

zmudshark
09-03-2017, 05:31 PM
Compressed air works well
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This may have been lost, and I didn't read the entire thread, because I know the situation and the answer.

Sam (OP) is in the middle of the desert, there's dust everywhere.

Compressed air at home, a Costco microfiber towel at work.

HenryA
09-03-2017, 06:15 PM
Leave it dusty and ride it. Bikes are made to ride, not clean. Riding is lots more fun.