PDA

View Full Version : Wireless bike computers

parco
09-02-2017, 04:55 PM
The search function wasn't helping me on this so I thought I'd put it out . Can anybody recommend a good reliable wireless bike computer. I just need basic functions. Speed, trip distance, total distance etc. Nothing too fancy. I just want to be able to keep track of my mileage and try to maintain a little faster pace than I'm comfortable with. Thanks in advance

Ralph
09-02-2017, 05:20 PM
I always used a wireless CatEye Mirco for that...about $40 online. Total reliability and simple. Now use the most basic Garmin 20 (maybe now replaced by another model). I like the Garmin, because nothing on fork. Works off satellites (Us and Russian).

b3pkay
09-02-2017, 05:28 PM
A friend gave me his Specialized Speed Zone that came with a purchase of his. Worked for about two years, replaced the battery in the head unit twice, and in the speed sensor once till the thing just stopped functioning. Nice thing about simple computers like that is how well they track/log mileage--no need to turn anything on, no start button to hit, just ride and go. I think they can be found for like $30, but I bet other brands (Cateye) do simple computers better.

Black Dog
09-02-2017, 05:28 PM
Cateye Strada Slim. Thin, easy to use big display and easy to install.

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fimages-na.ssl-images-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F51b-jycTRRL.jpg&f=1

BobC
09-02-2017, 05:43 PM

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fimages-na.ssl-images-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F51b-jycTRRL.jpg&f=1

this is what I use. Simple. Reliable.

Seramount
09-02-2017, 05:44 PM
have an older Sigma wireless unit...like it.

not sure what the current model is, but I got the cheapest one available and it's performed flawlessly for years.

monarchguy
09-02-2017, 06:16 PM
Another vote for Sigma Sport. I have 2 of them, and the work really well, provided you don't need true waterproofing -- they're resistant, not proof. I'll buy them again.

-- Dan

biker72
09-02-2017, 07:10 PM
A CatEye Micro wireless would be my pick. Battery lasts forever.

rePhil
09-02-2017, 07:11 PM
Cateye Padrone. One nice feature is that it mounts to bars or stem

weiwentg
09-02-2017, 08:04 PM
Cateye Padrone. One nice feature is that it mounts to bars or stem

I just got myself a Cateye Padrone also. I'd vote for any Cateye or Sigma analog wireless computer based on personal experience. No experience with other brands.

regularguy412
09-02-2017, 08:12 PM
Mine's a Polar M450. It's wireless a couple of ways. You can use a fork sensor for speed and distance and a cadence sensor, too -- wirelessly. But I don't. It's also GPS and it seems pretty accurate. I sometimes put it on my backup bike that has a wired computer on it. They are usually either right on with one another or within a tenth MPH. I call that pretty good for a GPS only unit (M450).

Walmart online has them for $123.xx.

Oh. And it also does heart rate,, has a built in headlight. The chest strap sending unit is bluetooth and the head unit bluetooths to your smart phone for uploads to Polar Flow.

Mike in AR:beer:

Ken Robb
09-02-2017, 08:48 PM
Mine's a Polar M450. It's wireless a couple of ways. You can use a fork sensor for speed and distance and a cadence sensor, too -- wirelessly. But I don't. It's also GPS and it seems pretty accurate. I sometimes put it on my backup bike that has a wired computer on it. They are usually either right on with one another or within a tenth MPH. I call that pretty good for a GPS only unit (M450).

Walmart online has them for $123.xx.

Oh. And it also does heart rate,, has a built in headlight. The chest strap sending unit is bluetooth and the head unit bluetooths to your smart phone for uploads to Polar Flow.

Can it mix margaritas?

regularguy412
09-02-2017, 09:26 PM
Can it mix margaritas?

Not that I know of. Lol.

But for the money, seems to have plenty of features. But one more thing, it's the first Polar device I've owned that doesn't have a replaceable battery (head unit). It's rechargeable for about 300 charges they say. So average once per week per charge. That's about 6 years of use.

That said, I have liked and used a couple of different Cateye products. Both were/are wired, but work well. My first bike computer was a Cateye Micro. I have a Strada on my trainer-only bike now -- with rear pickup and cadence. I suspect the wireless Cateyes would work fine too.

parris
09-02-2017, 09:39 PM
I've actually had good service from a couple of the Nashbar Tempo computers. One is easily 6+ years old. Both are wireless. The old one has current, average, max speeds, trip, total miles, ride time, clock. The new one adds calories, total calories, scan function, cadence, average cadence, as well as some other stuff I don't remember.

The price for each was low.

cadence90
09-02-2017, 10:56 PM
I have found the Cateye DW (Double Wireless) models excellent. simple, and durable.

soulspinner
09-03-2017, 06:09 AM
a cateye micro wireless would be my pick. Battery lasts forever.

+1

soulspinner
09-03-2017, 06:11 AM
Can it mix margaritas?

:beer:

mcteague
09-03-2017, 06:17 AM

Another nice thing about that the Cateye Strada Slim is the fork sensor hides on the inside of the fork, very neat.

http://www.cateye.com/images/product/8/928_img7.jpg

Tim