PDA

View Full Version : Campy Bora wheels - Reynolds Blue pads ok?

Wayne77
09-02-2017, 08:35 AM
Hello,

I have a set of Campy Bora wheels but I'm running them with Shimano DA brakes (oh the horror!). The Campy red pads that fit Shimano brake shoes (BR-BO500X1) are really hard to find. I've found a few places overseas but I need to source them a little sooner.

Does anyone know if Reynolds Blue "Power" pads would be ok on these rims? I bought the wheels second hand...they are new but 2013 model so I don't think warranty issues will apply, just need to know if they will damage the rims or discolor the brake surfaces. I do have these pads mounted currently and the stopping power on the Boras is great...

Any other alternative pads that will be safe on the Bora rims? As you know many of the big brand CF wheel manufacturers are very specific about which pads you can use...just not sure how literally to take their claims.

thanks!

Cicli
09-02-2017, 08:37 AM
If they are clean, i am sure they will be fine.

Wayne77
09-02-2017, 01:13 PM
Thanks, good to know. Any other expert opinions on this?

Dead Man
09-02-2017, 01:21 PM
I'm pretty sure campy pads will fit shimano shoes with minimal modifcation.. I haven't done it, but when I was having trouble finding shimano brake pads, this was suggested to me by several people.

radsmd
09-02-2017, 02:19 PM
Campy pad holders fit shimano brake calipers?

dddd
09-02-2017, 03:08 PM
Nobody said that, but why not?

And as long as the Shimano pads fit properly in the campag holders... gotta admit I haven't looked into it.

But the blue pads should work on all carbon rims. Not to say though that even the rim maker's own pads won't sometimes make horrible noises, at least until broken in.
I installed new Zipps and the pads they shipped with onto a friend's Cervelo with 9100 yesterday, and on the test ride the pads made occasional loud, chirping or barking noises, which startled the rider.
I ran stiff belt sander cloth between pad and rim, and moved the sheet with the rotating rim as I applied the brakes, to wear the pad surfaces into conformity with the rim's exact shape. It also roughened the pad's surfaces, so will see if this gets the pads working quietly.

oldpotatoe
09-02-2017, 05:09 PM
Thanks, good to know. Any other expert opinions on this?

The blue pads will be fine. The most important thing to remember with carbon wheels and brake pads is NEVER use a pad that has been used on an aluminum rim...that equals killed carbon rim.

Wayne77
09-02-2017, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Much appreciated!

OldCrank
09-12-2017, 10:25 AM
Hope it's OK to jump on here with my cheapskate question:

My blue Reynolds pads are not getting any younger.
Cryos seem to be $50-60.

Has anyone used Williams pads (for 1/4 that price)?

http://www.williamscycling.com/Williams-Blue-Brake-Pads-for-Carbon-Rims_p_181.html

TIA

Mzilliox
09-12-2017, 10:30 AM
I use swiss stops, campys, enves, and reynolds all on corimas or boras interchangeably, no issues. like old Potato said, just dont use em on aluminum and carbon both.

justaute
09-12-2017, 11:30 AM
Sure do.

Campy pad holders fit shimano brake calipers?

Wayne77
09-12-2017, 11:31 AM
I use swiss stops, campys, enves, and reynolds all on corimas or boras interchangeably, no issues. like old Potato said, just dont use em on aluminum and carbon both.

Thanks guys - much appreciated

justaute
09-12-2017, 11:33 AM
Also, there are a few US-based sellers for the Campy Red pads.