PDA

View Full Version : Cycle Oregon cancelled

gasman
08-31-2017, 05:02 PM
First time ever. Cycle Oregon cancelled because of wildfires.

http://www.ktvz.com/news/co-fires-prompt-first-ever-cycle-oregon-cancellation/615148932

We've had some very smoky days here in Eugene. It's cleanish at the moment but heat and smoke are supposed to return this weekend.

Clean39T
08-31-2017, 05:08 PM
Dang. On the plus side, I might be able to get in to see my dentist...

Note: I'm not an anti-dentite - it's just that my dentist is a cyclist and does Cycle Oregon every year - he's a great guy and booked solid.

alembical
08-31-2017, 05:13 PM
Wow. I knew they were trying to do a last minute course change, and I am not surprised to find out that was not feasible.

jlwdm
08-31-2017, 05:16 PM
Too bad. Both the fires and for the riders as a one week ride takes a lot of planning and commitment - and often the commitment of others.

Jeff

donevwil
08-31-2017, 05:34 PM
First off that sucks, just saw the email...very sad all the loss from fires, floods, etc. Wife and I did Hells Canyon a couple years ago when CO had to re-route due to fires and that was a logistical nightmare for the organizers.

http://www.cycleoregon.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/CO-Smoke-Map-2017-17x11.png

tab123
08-31-2017, 08:41 PM
The smoke has been pretty bad here in Central Oregon for a couple weeks, with some really awful days. I can understand the organizers' decision given all the fires in the area. I've never been on my trainer this much in August.

cnighbor1
09-02-2017, 03:14 PM
I have done two organized rides where forest fires were near by.
One was in California on the coast above San Simeon the fire fighters were right down to highway I We went farter south and were bused to our camp site
The next day we were on the backside of the same fire and climbing back to Carmel valley we passed the staging area for the fire flighters
There was smoke in the air and hot not great for riding
Second one was in Canada Looking out motel room window you could see the fire fighters on the side of the hill outside town
Would I do it again No

otis
09-02-2017, 06:20 PM
Southern Oregon has been really socked in for a couple of weeks. Last week you could still ride if you went early. Today I rode on rollers. Rollers in August!. MF-er!!

donevwil
09-06-2017, 06:44 PM
Refunding only $500 of the $999 registration, ouch! I understand why, but still, ouch!

No ebay Spur Cycle bell with Chris King pixie dust for me this year.