PDA

View Full Version : Trent Klasna's Sierra Nevada Serotta Legend Ti ST

J.M. White
04-17-2004, 09:04 PM
Trent Klasna's Sierra Nevada Serotta Legend Ti ST, is reviewed by the folks at www.cyclingnews.com. A nice machine. Look for it in the tech section. By the way, for those of you unfamiliar with this website, it's a good source for early morning news and reviews.

David Berry
04-17-2004, 09:25 PM
And, Trent rode that Serotta today in the Sea Otter Classic.

Bill Bove
04-17-2004, 09:40 PM
cyclingnews.com is indeed good but I rather enjoy waking up to read Big Johnny's take on the scene over at www.drunkcyclist.com

David Berry
04-17-2004, 09:58 PM
To victory that is, finishing my previous post

Jollymon
04-18-2004, 10:29 AM
I thought it was interesting that they used Campy Chorus. Was cost the only reason why they chose Chorus over Record?

I have never used Campy, but I am thinking of going to on my next bike. If Trent Klasna is using Chorus, why would I want Record?

davids
04-18-2004, 11:19 AM
More of a description than a review, but thanks for sharing it!

saab2000
04-18-2004, 12:40 PM
You want Record because it says "Record" on it and is far cooler!

The question is not whether it is good enough for (name your pro here) but whether or not it is good enough for you. You pay for it, they don't.

Get Record and be sure to get the Hyperons with it! ;)

PS - I got Record for my new Strong. The crank looks cool and I am sure I will now be much faster because of it. Or at least I'll get more chicks. :D

Russ
04-18-2004, 08:39 PM
Serottas are being shown out there in Internet Land.... I noticed, however, that there is one little mistake in this article:

At the bottom it says: Frame: Serotta Ottrott ST

This bike is not an Ottrott ST! it is a Legend ST, at least the decals say so: http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=photos/2004/tech/probikes/sierranevada_serotta/CateyeSNC204-013

;)

Redturbo
04-18-2004, 09:14 PM
Man I like that paint job!!! I don't usally go for painted Ti.

turbo

SteveE
04-18-2004, 11:02 PM
Serottas are being shown out there in Internet Land.... I noticed, however, that there is one little mistake in this article:

At the bottom it says: Frame: Serotta Ottrott ST

This bike is not an Ottrott ST! it is a Legend ST, at least the decals say so: http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=photos/2004/tech/probikes/sierranevada_serotta/CateyeSNC204-013

;)I stopped by the Serotta tent at Sea Otter on friday. Trent Klasna was sitting there while his bike was being worked on. I can assure you that both Trent's and Glen Mitchell's bike were Legend Ti's.

Russ
04-18-2004, 11:37 PM
Man I like that paint job!!! I don't usally go for painted Ti.
turbo

Yeah Turbo, I am like you...

I am supoosed to get my new Legend anytime soon, and I am debating if I should have it painted like these guys, or just bare Ti.

What do you guys say? I am thinking on doing a Sierra Nevada scheme, but with blue/yellow instead.

Give me ideas!

shinomaster
04-19-2004, 01:18 AM
now that chorus is the RECORD of last year there is almost no difference between the groups. Just a few titanium bolts and a carbon plate on a derailleur or two, which only makes it look cooler--maybe..
Get chorus and save a few hundred bucks. My chorus parts work as well or better than my Record parts...both are 10 speed. I will say it is cool to have record parts, but i'm not sure of just how cool as cool can be a relative thing. hmmmm... :fight: :fight: :fight: :banana: :banana:

dbrk
04-20-2004, 07:09 AM
This Year's Chorus is Last Year's Record is hardly a new thing...we all know that, right?

I like Klasna's bike aplenty though I would not personally choose to ride in that position (too much saddle/bar drop). But it's avoided many of the aesthetic faux pas that get me all riled up ('bout 'nuthin', I might add). But given the modern pro racer's near-obsession with weight, I wonder how this decidedly "heavier" bike works into that psychology. Of course, the Legend is a boat anchor compared to some aluminum disposable. But pros ride what they are paid to ride and it is less common than ever for bikes to be rebadged (as in days of yore when identifying differences was a more subtle matter). Still, I commend everyone involved in this Team for reaffirming that titanium is a "race worthy" material. I'd bet Klasna and mates are waaaaay more comfortable (to say nothing of being on bikes that ride and are made, say, ten million times better than...uhh....others out there on the race course) and sooner or later these bikes will turn up for sale. I owned Roberto Gaggiloli's Coors Light Legend which Serotta repaired and repainted. What I was doing with a bike that small with a custom short top tube is entirely another story....

Russ, I like your paint notion. This SN paint is a tad too electric for me over the long haul. I mean it's one of those first look things: at first look you say, geez, that's really neat. Then on look number 1000 you say, that's a little much. That's what happens to me, at least. I try to go easier on the eyes over the long haul---avoid wardrobe malfunctions is a policy. But using more classic colors would do just that too. I shutter to think what Serotta gets for a paint job like this, however. Make yourself happiest!

dbrk

BigMac
04-20-2004, 11:31 AM
Personally I'd buy '03 Chorus over Record or '04 Chorus, but hey I'm an aging, conservative cuss who thinks plastic is for tooth brushes and water bottles but real bikes wear metal parts.

To spin this topic back to the Sea Otter, Trent had a nice weekend but Chris Horner was THE MAN! In fact SN was kinda dissapointing as a team, the Webcor and Health Net boys really showed their medal. Sea Otter has unfortunately spiralled into a mtb'er event with 2 days of uninspired roadie events, just for fun. Part of the blame certainly can be pointed at the Cannery Row Merchants Assoc, but somehow organizers should be able to design a more inspired event given that location and its terrain, no? Hopefully the Infineon event in May will bring NorCal a real roadie event like S-O formerlly was, otherwise its down to the SF GrandPrix and a smattering of small local events for the cat2-3 boys and girls that must quench the pallette of NorCal road racing aficianados. :crap:

Ride On! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Russ
04-20-2004, 11:47 AM
Russ, I like your paint notion. This SN paint is a tad too electric for me over the long haul....

Hey,

Thanks DBRK. You are always good for advise. The new Legend stays bare Ti, polished T.

Cheers!