PDA

View Full Version : New uses for pitted Campy C Record headset

KJMUNC
08-29-2017, 08:30 PM
Finally had to pull the Campy C Record headset from my Z team bike as it was so pitted it was catching at the midline and making riding challenging. Shame on me for not servicing it earlier, but it was pretty much toast when I picked it up.

So here's my question: it's pitted so I don't think there's anyway I can reuse it as a headset. Any idea for creative uses for it around the shop/house? I hate to chuck such a beautiful component, even if it is past its useful life.

Ralph
08-29-2017, 08:35 PM
Have you tried using it with loose bearings, and ditching the bearing cages? That way you use more bearings, and they sit in a different spot. Just fill it all the way around close together in grease with bearings, and take one out. Most times you can get more life out of them.....maybe you have already done this.

ultraman6970
08-29-2017, 08:43 PM
Always you can dremel the pits and polish it, you might be get a few more years out of that thing that way. Obviously you have to know what are you doing.

08-29-2017, 09:56 PM
Having tried the alternatives above on old Nuovo Record headsets (which pitted before they came out of the box) and plenty of others, I can tell you that none of those approaches to extend their lives will work.

So what to do that doesn't involve a head tube? Save the top nut and washer for another headset if they're in decent shape. I tried making little whips with a strip of leather and a headset race to use on farm dogs, but it's really not worth the effort.

cmbicycles
08-29-2017, 10:17 PM
Make a toilet paper holder like the ones Park used to sell.

bikinchris
08-29-2017, 10:19 PM
Have you tried using it with loose bearings, and ditching the bearing cages? That way you use more bearings, and they sit in a different spot. Just fill it all the way around close together in grease with bearings, and take one out. Most times you can get more life out of them.....maybe you have already done this.

This is worth a try. If it has cages, throw them away. Lay a layer of grease in the cups and place 5/32 balls in the grease neatly side by side until full and take on bearing out. Place the fork into the frame, but don't let the crown race on the fork touch. Start the threads of the adjusting cup onto the fork, then gently place the top cup down on the race and thread it in until it draws the crown race up. It might be fine for a good while like that.

Peter P.
08-30-2017, 06:02 AM
I realize it's too late for the OP's headset woes, but here's a tip to increase the longevity of your headset.

The reason most headsets fail is due to the small rotational action they see and the impacts they experience.

The impacts push the grease out from under the contact point of the balls. They run "dry" and the end result is the brinelling you experience.

I'm not explaining it as well as Jobst Brandt so if you don't believe me, search out his posts regarding headset failure.

His solution which was worked for me is this: Before each ride, pick up the front end of the bike and rotate the bars left to right as far as you can. This redistributes the grease in the races.

Since adopting this technique many years ago, I have yet to experience headset failure in my bikes. It's like the Fountain of Youth!

merckx
08-30-2017, 06:17 AM
Remove the headset from the frame. Rotate the cups ninety degrees and reinstall.

Cicli
08-30-2017, 06:29 AM
Remove bearings, clean and pack with toothpaste. Ride it a bit. Clean up the toothpaste and regrease. Acts like lapping compound. Might work.

oldpotatoe
08-30-2017, 08:59 AM
Remove bearings, clean and pack with toothpaste. Ride it a bit. Clean up the toothpaste and regrease. Acts like lapping compound. Might work.

That 'kinda' works for hub cones/cups but the headset isn't rotating enough to really make it work, IMHO. I'd say pack with loose bearing balls and give it a try..after taking cups out and reinstalling 90 degrees off.

zmudshark
08-30-2017, 09:11 AM
I have anecdotally heard that you can remove the cups, use some sacrificial bearings, some lapping compound and spin it with a drill.

Then follow old spud's instructions.

Alternatively, make a paperweight.

jruhlen1980
08-30-2017, 11:00 AM
Really big earrings.

mt2u77
08-30-2017, 11:27 AM
Funky pepper grinder?

dvancleve
08-30-2017, 07:30 PM
That brinelled. I'm not sure if it was terrible, but the steering definitely felt indexed and it kind of locked in going straight. I'm pretty sure all I did was uncage the bottom bearings and put in as many new Campy grade of the same size as would fit. It's fine now, maybe not perfect but I don't notice any issues with it. I don't think I popped out the bottom cup and rotated it, I suppose it's possible that I did…

Doug

pdmtong
08-30-2017, 07:41 PM
you know when bathrooms with a key attach some massive object to the key so borrowers dont lose it?

else starter pieces for a wind chime....

pbarry
08-30-2017, 08:08 PM
Napkin rings..

EPIC! Stratton
09-01-2017, 08:37 AM
Buddy of mine has a glass lamp (like so (https://www.amazon.com/DEI-76413-Fillable-Craft-Lamp/dp/B00BT1QQMA/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_60_lp_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=1SE3617X6ARAWF8NZXCZ)) which he has filled with old bike parts. Looks pretty cool imho.