PDA

View Full Version : OT -- straight razors & stropping tips

eippo1
08-28-2017, 09:10 AM
So the last thread I found on the subject is from 4 years ago, so wanted to check in to see what people were using.

I typically use an electric for days when I don't have time, but usually use a nice, heavy Merkur double edge with Feather blades. Just piked up a Hart straight razor, but am hesitant to use it until I get a strop.

Not too worried about the shave part since the angle of the blade will be the same as with the DE, but am a bit worried about effing up the blade with stropping. Anyone have any secrets to stropping (just bought a Tony Miller strop)?

http://www.hartsteel.com/i//16.jpg

08-28-2017, 01:47 PM
There's a long thread on this across the hall, but the ultimate arena for becoming completely OCD in this subject is www.badgerandblade.com, a big forum devoted entirely to shaving. Also, check YouTube. There are hundreds of videos showing how to strop and every other potential aspect of using a straight razor.

eippo1
08-28-2017, 04:32 PM
There's a long thread on this across the hall, but the ultimate arena for becoming completely OCD in this subject is www.badgerandblade.com, a big forum devoted entirely to shaving. Also, check YouTube. There are hundreds of videos showing how to strop and every other potential aspect of using a straight razor.

Okey doke. Will check in with those.

OtayBW
08-28-2017, 06:42 PM
I keep three stops in rotation, but use a Tony Miller strop almost daily. Nice piece of leather and very nice piece of linen with excellent workmanship. I would suggest that if you're new to straight shaving, get a cheap strop at first. You will almost certainly chew the first one up as you inadvertently pull back on the razor slightly on the return before fully completing the flip thus creating a myriad of 'knicks' at either end. There are definitely threads much less than 4 yo around here. Maybe search on shaving rather than specifically 'straight razor'. And try the following which is more specifically dedicated to straights: http://straightrazorplace.com/ . Good luck with it.

froze
08-28-2017, 09:21 PM
This is one of those questions like which saddle is the most comfortable, it's a personal thing, so personally I use the Gillette Fusion 5 system, the blades last about 2 1/2 months on my face with everyday shaving.

I also use Cremo Cream Original Shave Cream, Astonishingly Superior Shaving Cream. For my face this has been the smoothest and closest shaving cream I've ever used.

Years ago I tried the straight blade method but found that the double bladed razor cut my beard just as close but without all the nicks and cuts; now that I have switched to the 5 bladed system I'm pretty sure it cuts it closer than the straight blade, but there are some that will argue that, but for me it doesn't matter since I rarely get a cut or nick using the 5 blade system.. The only real advantage to a straight blade is that in the long run it will be cheaper than using disposable blades, but that's only if you keep it sharpened and don't nick the blade.

I've been very unhappy with the results of any electric system, the closeness is not remotely the same as with a blade, even the much talked about and praised Braun units. But the electric is faster, but not really since you have to shave twice a day to keep the stubble low. But the worst electric shaver I had was the 3 headed Norelco, quite frankly I don't even know why they're still in business because that system doesn't cut close at all, a person almost needs to shave 3 times a day to keep the stubble sort of down. Plus you still have to replace the blades and foil about every 6 months to keep them cutting good, the Norelco blades last a lot longer (about 5 to 7 years) than the foil blades but there's that lack of close shaving thing that is weird.

Again, to each their own, it's just an opinion.

William
08-28-2017, 09:28 PM
Stropping tips...

A.G. Russell on Sharpening Using a Strop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk5smw6IzHo

William

OtayBW
08-29-2017, 04:27 AM
Years ago I tried the straight blade method but found that the double bladed razor cut my beard just as close but without all the nicks and cuts; now that I have switched to the 5 bladed system I'm pretty sure it cuts it closer than the straight blade, but there are some that will argue that, but for me it doesn't matter since I rarely get a cut or nick using the 5 blade system.. The only real advantage to a straight blade is that in the long run it will be cheaper than using disposable blades, but that's only if you keep it sharpened and don't nick the blade.I have to chime in here to say that I personally get a far better shave with a straight than with a modern safety razor. There is just no comparison - for me. Closer shave, lasts longer, and with no ingrown hairs. Far more advantages than just simply cost - to me. Never 'nicked' a blade on a straight. I have too much respect for them. To each his own, as they say....