PDA

View Full Version : Gravelking SK 35 vs ..?

TunaAndBikes
08-26-2017, 09:29 AM
Trying to choose a tyre for the fall.

I've been riding everything on Gravelking 32 slicks for the past year and a half and haven't had an issue, but you've gotta experiment a bit right?

I like riding forest trails with roots/muds on my cross bike, but doubt my bike can clear more than 35c at the rear. I still have to get to those trails on the
road and like riding gravel, so it should be pretty all-round.

I've been interested in the Gravelking SK, but struggle to choose another tyre to compare it too.

Perhaps Continental or the Ritchey WCS Shield 700x35 could be of interest?

Thanks for the feedback!

bigbill
08-26-2017, 10:09 AM
Continental Cyclocross Speed tires in 35mm have been great for me. They aren't tubeless but for the past two years, I've been using them for my fall/winter rides on gravel roads and some trails. I've got a new gravel bike coming and it will have 37mm WTB Riddlers which are tubeless.

R3awak3n
08-26-2017, 10:50 AM
do check clearance of the Sk 35 before buying, I read and heard that they are more like a 38mm.

justaute
08-26-2017, 10:52 AM
Yup...on my 21mm (inner width) wheels, GK SK measure ~35.5mm.

sandyrs
08-26-2017, 11:53 AM
Continental Cyclocross Speed tires in 35mm have been great for me. They aren't tubeless but for the past two years, I've been using them for my fall/winter rides on gravel roads and some trails. I've got a new gravel bike coming and it will have 37mm WTB Riddlers which are tubeless.

The 37 Riddlers are really good all-around tires, but they're really 37mm. Definitely not undersized for the label.

CNY rider
08-26-2017, 11:57 AM

My favorites as well. Have never disappointed.

shoota
08-26-2017, 03:32 PM
Trying to choose a tyre for the fall.

I've been riding everything on Gravelking 32 slicks for the past year and a half and haven't had an issue, but you've gotta experiment a bit right?

I like riding forest trails with roots/muds on my cross bike, but doubt my bike can clear more than 35c at the rear. I still have to get to those trails on the
road and like riding gravel, so it should be pretty all-round.

I've been interested in the Gravelking SK, but struggle to choose another tyre to compare it too.

Perhaps Continental or the Ritchey WCS Shield 700x35 could be of interest?

Thanks for the feedback!

If you're running tubeless there isn't much of a better tire out there for what you're describing than the GK SK. The old 35s were 38s but the new 35s are 35s. Be sure you know which you're getting. I think you can check by UPC.

bigbill
08-26-2017, 06:56 PM
The 37 Riddlers are really good all-around tires, but they're really 37mm. Definitely not undersized for the label.

The new bike will take a 42.

cachagua
08-26-2017, 10:57 PM
The new bike will take a 42...

In that case consider the even bigger GKs, or the even bigger Cyclocross Speeds which are called SpeedRides.

TunaAndBikes
08-28-2017, 05:44 PM
Thanks for all the feedback!
Anyone know how to tell new from old?
Guessing it's a hard task :p

ColonelJLloyd
08-28-2017, 07:56 PM
Have you found a need for some sort of knob or other tread pattern in your riding? If not, then I wouldn't give up the low rolling resistance you get where it counts. Have you ridden Bon Jon Pass?

That said, the 35mm G-One Allround looks like a cool option.

jtakeda
08-28-2017, 08:00 PM
Ritchey just came out with the alpine jb 30c allroad tire.

A little smaller than you're used to but has a tread profile that might be suitable and make up for it

daker13
08-28-2017, 08:04 PM

Me too, for the situation you describe: some roads, some gravel, some dirt trails. I've had a few flats, but this probably says more about the trails than the tires.