PDA

View Full Version : OT: The new American Top Gear

Dave B
08-26-2017, 07:37 AM
uggghhhh.

I loved for years the Clarkson, Hammond, and May version. I would watch their episodes over and over again as I truly enjoyed their banter, friendship, and hilarious reviews of cars and of each other. Their epic trips were stunning and just brilliant to watch.

I even got used to the old American version with Rutledge, the moron who crashed tings, and Tanner who was amazing behind the wheel.

This new version is terrible. I have tried to watch it with an open mind, but it is just so bad and the hosts are so awkward and none of them speak well enough to excite me on the cars. Yeah William Fitchner is kind of cool and he does lend some cool factor when speaking of cars. Maybe it is his voice or nostalgia for the cars, but the other two are muppets and just make a bad show worse. It seems so badly scripted and forced that the producers need publicly flogged for putting it on tv.

How could we not find anyone better. Even Matt Leblanc began to win me over on the "newer" British version. He knows cars and knows how to drive. It is hard not to see Joey from friends, but he can hold his own. But good lord the current American trio are like a bad case of Montezuma's revenge that keeps you on the toilet all day.

ok rant over.

oldpotatoe
08-26-2017, 07:52 AM
uggghhhh.

I loved for years the Clarkson, Hammond, and May version. I would watch their episodes over and over again as I truly enjoyed their banter, friendship, and hilarious reviews of cars and of each other. Their epic trips were stunning and just brilliant to watch.

I even got used to the old American version with Rutledge, the moron who crashed tings, and Tanner who was amazing behind the wheel.

This new version is terrible. I have tried to watch it with an open mind, but it is just so bad and the hosts are so awkward and none of them speak well enough to excite me on the cars. Yeah William Fitchner is kind of cool and he does lend some cool factor when speaking of cars. Maybe it is his voice or nostalgia for the cars, but the other two are muppets and just make a bad show worse. It seems so badly scripted and forced that the producers need publicly flogged for putting it on tv.

How could we not find anyone better. Even Matt Leblanc began to win me over on the "newer" British version. He knows cars and knows how to drive. It is hard not to see Joey from friends, but he can hold his own. But good lord the current American trio are like a bad case of Montezuma's revenge that keeps you on the toilet all day.

ok rant over.

Back on here...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J94A5GQ?ref=dvm_us_dl_sl_tgt|c_178672287246_m_e kBFPxQq-dc_s__&gclid=CjwKCAjwuITNBRBFEiwA9N9YEKq9lAO3uzX8SyNMj8PF dH0BgWpE-s_5mN04IVdS-nTGhOPKBA-pdRoC-fgQAvD_BwE

Cicli
08-26-2017, 08:08 AM
Once the Clarkson, May, Hammond version was dead. The series is dead.

sales guy
08-26-2017, 08:47 AM
For the U.K. Version yes. It was dead. But the one with Rut, Tanner and Adam was really going good when they killed it.

bigreen505
08-26-2017, 11:35 AM
There is only one Top Gear, and it's called Grand Tour on Amazon.

https://youtu.be/7wSpFRbiT-0

Let us know when you find out why a Range Rover is the SUV you will buy.

Does this mean he's not coming on?

Red Tornado
08-26-2017, 11:54 AM
Once the Clarkson, May, Hammond version was dead. The series is dead.

This.

Dave B
08-26-2017, 12:00 PM
Back on here...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J94A5GQ?ref=dvm_us_dl_sl_tgt|c_178672287246_m_e kBFPxQq-dc_s__&gclid=CjwKCAjwuITNBRBFEiwA9N9YEKq9lAO3uzX8SyNMj8PF dH0BgWpE-s_5mN04IVdS-nTGhOPKBA-pdRoC-fgQAvD_BwE

They are looking to replace Clarkson for short term as a result of his health.

Series delayed as a result

sales guy
08-26-2017, 12:17 PM
They are looking to replace Clarkson for short term as a result of his health.

Series delayed as a result

That was a joke. They did the same for Richard when he almost died.

Personally I liked the US version on History. The guys were funny and had a good chemistry. And they are totally car guys. You should see Ruts place in Senoia. Nice stuff including his VW camper van. My wife's aunt is friends with his mom. So when we head down to peachtree city we stop over and hang out. I hooked him up with a roof rack and rocket box. Tanner and adam have been there at times. Nice people.

cmg
08-26-2017, 12:58 PM
newer version of TG never clicked. there was no chemistry between the trio. just a bunch of talking heads not necessarily talking to each other.

Elefantino
08-26-2017, 01:41 PM
That was a joke.
Really? I applied.

Dave B
08-26-2017, 02:24 PM
That was a joke. They did the same for Richard when he almost died.

Personally I liked the US version on History. The guys were funny and had a good chemistry. And they are totally car guys. You should see Ruts place in Senoia. Nice stuff including his VW camper van. My wife's aunt is friends with his mom. So when we head down to peachtree city we stop over and hang out. I hooked him up with a roof rack and rocket box. Tanner and adam have been there at times. Nice people.

Loved those guys, but there are three new ones and the show is difficult to watch.

bikinchris
08-26-2017, 02:34 PM
If you really, and I mean really like cars, any version of top Gear is excruciating to watch. I also steer clear of any car show or motorcycle show ( Orange County choppers is a perfect example) that tries to insert drama or fake comedy into a show about mechanical objects.

Give me a show like the Power Nation series on Spike TV; Engine Power, Detroit Muscle, Truck Tech etc. Just build, drive or modify the damn car and leave the drama to soap operas.

SoCalSteve
08-26-2017, 02:53 PM
If you really, and I mean really like cars, any version of top Gear is excruciating to watch. I also steer clear of any car show or motorcycle show ( Orange County choppers is a perfect example) that tries to insert drama or fake comedy into a show about mechanical objects.

Give me a show like the Power Nation series on Spike TV; Engine Power, Detroit Muscle, Truck Tech etc. Just build, drive or modify the damn car and leave the drama to soap operas.

Wow, just wow! I do LOVE cars, all cars and the Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May versions of Top Gear and now The Grand Tour are my all time favorite shows. I do not watch very much television, but have seen every episode of Top Gear from even before James May was on the show.

The chemistry between the 3 presenters is in no way fake. They truly do like and respect each other and it comes across on the screen.

Llewellyn
08-26-2017, 04:49 PM
I never understood how it was that Clarkson punched a bloke and ended up being a hero. Always was, and always will be, a tosser.

SoCalSteve
08-26-2017, 05:15 PM
I never understood how it was that Clarkson punched a bloke and ended up being a hero. Always was, and always will be, a tosser.

Not sure how much of a hero he ended up being. But, he did land back on his feet with his new show. Shows you how really popular he,and the show, is/was.

These are stats from 2011:

1. Earnings winner: The program is one the BBC's most powerful global brands. British media estimate that Top Gear makes £150 million ($225.8 million) in revenue for the broadcaster's commercial arm BBC Worldwide.

2. Record breaker: The motoring show is the most widely watched factual television program in the world, according to the Guinness Book of World Records.

3. Global footprint: Top Gear plays in 214 territories worldwide and has an estimated global audience of 350 million. It set viewer records for an unscripted series on BBC America in 2013, while also delivering its highest ever ratings for global channel BBC Knowledge.