PDA

View Full Version : Campy Crank/Chris King BB

Dsteiker
08-25-2017, 10:25 AM
Hi,

Looking for some suggestions, I would like to use a Chris King Bottom bracket, yet I run campy. What Cranks/Chain rings would you recommend? This is for my road bike.

Currently using Campy Record cranks w/Ultra Torque BB cups.

Thanks

oldpotatoe
08-25-2017, 10:31 AM
Hi,

Looking for some suggestions, I would like to use a Chris King Bottom bracket, yet I run campy. What Cranks/Chain rings would you recommend? This is for my road bike.

Currently using Campy Record cranks w/Ultra Torque BB cups.

Thanks

Gotta ask why CK BB? Campagnolo UltraTorque crank a really nice design. Always easier/cheaper to service bearings on UT as opposed to servicing CK cups/bearings.

Blown Reek
08-25-2017, 10:39 AM
If you really want to go aftermarket with Campagnolo cranks, Kogel has a bearing/cup system. Given, it's the exact same thing as the Campy system, but you get Kogel cups instead of Campagnolo ones. And Kogel bearings, too.

Since it's Ultra Torque, you're limited. But it seems that you really, really want to run a King bottom bracket... for whatever reason.

Dsteiker
08-25-2017, 10:50 AM
Open to suggestions, I have had good luck with Chris King Headsets over the years, thought the BB would be of the same quality. Just looking for some ideas.

My Campy bearings need to be replaced, after a year, is that normal? Thought they would have lasted longer.

Any recommendations for replacement bearing other then Campy?

oldpotatoe
08-25-2017, 11:27 AM
Open to suggestions, I have had good luck with Chris King Headsets over the years, thought the BB would be of the same quality. Just looking for some ideas.

My Campy bearings need to be replaced, after a year, is that normal? Thought they would have lasted longer.

Any recommendations for replacement bearing other then Campy?

A year is not unusual and the standard stainless bearings from Campagnolo are good stuff. Not worth the $ for USB or Cult. Install with lotsa grease. In cups and around bearings.

PNW
08-25-2017, 11:56 AM
Stick with the OEM cups. You will overpay for their BB when servicing the UT bearings is easy and the cups inexpensive. Not saying their BB is poorly made, but the Campy cranks/bearings are the best and I have yet to see one fail like I've seen a few shimano cranks.

thwart
08-25-2017, 12:41 PM
A year is not unusual and the standard stainless bearings from Campagnolo are good stuff. Not worth the $ for USB or Cult. Install with lotsa grease. In cups and around bearings.

The spud knows best of course, but just some anecdotal information here... I've been running UT cranks since 2008. My winter bike (think rain, snow, salt, and a bit of sand) has a UT crank. Longer term use? Well, my Peg has well over 10,000 miles on a 2008 era Chorus UT compact which I actually bought used. FWIW it seldom sees rain.

I have yet to have a UT bearing fail on any of my bikes.

And yes, I am knocking on wood as I type this. :D

El Chaba
08-25-2017, 01:01 PM
The advice on plenty of grease from Old P. is spot on. The UT bearings are pretty long lasting, unless they get starved for grease. Being an outboard bearing, they can be more exposed to the elements than an inside the BB design, but hey that's "progress" and all the modern designs have gone in that direction. The best line of defense is the plenty of grease method as the extra grease with form a seal of its own. It's really easy to take them apart and re-lube (the inside of the cartridge is unsealed to provide access to the balls) if you think things have become contaminated.

oldpotatoe
08-25-2017, 01:24 PM
The advice on plenty of grease from Old P. is spot on. The UT bearings are pretty long lasting, unless they get starved for grease. Being an outboard bearing, they can be more exposed to the elements than an inside the BB design, but hey that's "progress" and all the modern designs have gone in that direction. The best line of defense is the plenty of grease method as the extra grease with form a seal of its own. It's really easy to take them apart and re-lube (the inside of the cartridge is unsealed to provide access to the balls) if you think things have become contaminated.

'Progress', no kidding...headset bearings went inside the frame, BB bearings went outside the frame.:eek:

Ralph
08-25-2017, 01:54 PM
On UT BB, the BB shell facing still has to be square to the BB threads for long bearing life....right?

oldpotatoe
08-25-2017, 02:12 PM
On UT BB, the BB shell facing still has to be square to the BB threads for long bearing life....right?

Yup