PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Saddle Durability

Spoked_matt
08-24-2017, 12:18 PM
I considering a Fizik Aliante with carbon rails. It's going on a steel bike that I use for road/light gravel and the like. I'm not a weight weenie. The saddle is $60

Has anyone out there had any issues with Fizik carbon rails?

zap
08-24-2017, 12:23 PM
Two Fizik Aliante (original and second gen) with carbon rails. No issues. Make sure your seatpost saddle craddle is free of sharp edges.

wpod
08-24-2017, 12:26 PM
Using carbon Aliante's on both steel and carbon frames. Happy on both, no issues what so ever for this old clyde.

cadence90
08-24-2017, 04:06 PM
If the saddle is used, and the purpose would include light gravel, I would be hesitant to buy a carbon-railed saddle unless I knew the owner and history. It just isn't worth it.

In any case, make sure that your seatpost saddle rails/clamps are carbon-rail compatible (7mm x 9mm clamps; preferably top/bottom-cinch; side-cinch only if specific for carbon rails).

Idris Icabod
08-24-2017, 04:35 PM
My buddy uses a carbon railed Fizik on his mountain bike. He snapped his Ritchey carbon post and now rocks an Ericksen Ti post, saddle survived fine and I know he's raced and ridden this bike regularly for about 2 years.

Wasatch
08-24-2017, 05:00 PM
I have a carbon Antares that has served me well for a while. Like Cadence mentioned, just make sure your seatpost clamp is carbon-rail compatible.

gforce
08-24-2017, 05:29 PM
Who other then Ritchey makes a 7x9mm clamp? I need a two bolt clamp for a
look ergo seatpost.

cadence90
08-24-2017, 06:50 PM
look ergo seatpost.

You have the Look clamp, but think that you need to replace it for use with a carbon-rail saddle? You should not have to: as long as the clamp is top/bottom-cinch it should be fine with a carbon rail saddle, since the clamp top and bottom rail carriers diameter (width) is most likely 7mm (carbon saddle rails are 7mm wide x 9mm high).

Just make sure that the clamp diameter (width) exactly fits a 7mm wide rail; that the clamp length does not exceed the straight portion of the rails (often this area is also reinforced); that the clamps have no sharp edges; and that you torque the clamp correctly (that should be +/- 80 in/lbs (9 Nm) max. but check the specific saddle specs.

If, instead, I misunderstood and you are looking for a replacement clamp for an ErgoPost, I have no idea about that.

shovelhd
08-24-2017, 06:56 PM
look ergo seatpost.

Specialized. Avoid 3T.

jtbadge
08-24-2017, 07:05 PM
You can use the Fizik/Brooks carbon rails on your Thomson and Zipp posts. Durability is a non issue - my C13s are invisible and I weigh more than OP.

gforce
08-25-2017, 10:54 AM
You have the Look clamp, but think that you need to replace it for use with a carbon-rail saddle? You should not have to: as long as the clamp is top/bottom-cinch it should be fine with a carbon rail saddle, since the clamp top and bottom rail carriers diameter (width) is most likely 7mm (carbon saddle rails are 7mm wide x 9mm high).

Just make sure that the clamp diameter (width) exactly fits a 7mm wide rail; that the clamp length does not exceed the straight portion of the rails (often this area is also reinforced); that the clamps have no sharp edges; and that you torque the clamp correctly (that should be +/- 80 in/lbs (9 Nm) max. but check the specific saddle specs.

If, instead, I misunderstood and you are looking for a replacement clamp for an ErgoPost, I have no idea about that.

Correction: My look ergo post is single bolt design with round top/bottom clamp.
I am getting some fore/aft rocking and creaking with my ovalized prologo scratch nack saddle. Because the carbon saddle rails are ovalized, the clamp doesn't appear to be making good contact around the width of the rails- hence the rocking.