PDA

View Full Version : How does one choose a handlebar in the internet age?

exapkib
08-23-2017, 05:43 PM
Here's my situation: I am building up my first carbon frame (a used Parlee!) and looking for the right set of bars. Having spent my time exclusively on steel frames so far, I'm much more well-versed in searching out suitable silver bars and posts than more modern looking finishing kit.

I have purchased a set of Easton EC70 SL3 bars from an online retailer. They got lost in the mail. I am at the point at which I can ask them to resend the bars or refund the money to buy something used.

What I know:

--I like a compact, non-ergo bar. I've been riding a Soma HWY 1 and Ritchey Classic bar on my other bikes. I really like the feel of the Ritchey bars. I also really like the Soma bars, though I think I bought them too wide. I don't like ergo bars.

My list:

Ritchey Classic
Easton EC70 SL3
Easton EC90 SLX3
3T Ergonova Pro or Team
Zipp SL SSR
Thomson Carbon

By question: beyond the aesthetic issues (shiny silver bars on otherwise black carbon frame) (is this as bad a faux pas as it feels like it is?), what am I missing by not buying one of the above bars? The drop/reach/shape appear to be very similar between them. The weight difference between the carbon and aluminum bars is obvious, but I'm not sure how important it is to me at this point.

Are the claimed 'damping effects' of using a carbon bar real? I'm not sure I'm the most perceptive cyclist in the world--too much time riding around on 'heavy' steel frames.

I don't intend this post to fan the carbon/aluminum handlebar debate generally, just looking to understand if there are compelling reasons to spend the money for a new handlebar, or if I should just go ride my bike.

Thanks!

Clean39T
08-23-2017, 05:54 PM
I'll send you the EC90 for the cost of shipping - if you like it, pay me what you think is fair. If not, offer it back up on here for someone else to try...

I like the bars, I just ride narrower ones now.

exapkib
08-23-2017, 06:00 PM
That's hugely generous of you, and I may just take you up on the offer.

At the same time, it's also a learning experience for me--I figure we've got enough 'real world' experience in the membership of this forum to get a few votes on the pros and cons of using carbon in handlebars.

Clean39T
08-23-2017, 06:08 PM
That's hugely generous of you, and I may just take you up on the offer.

At the same time, it's also a learning experience for me--I figure we've got enough 'real world' experience in the membership of this forum to get a few votes on the pros and cons of using carbon in handlebars.

No worries, I've enjoyed your posts and they're just gathering dust...sometimes just trying is worth all the descriptions in the world...

But to answer your question, I can definitely feel a difference between carbon and aluminum, and ride both. And there's a big difference between different makers too, which can be felt for sure. Thick tape mutes some of the difference in vibration damping quality, but there's no hiding a wet-noodle if your big enough to flex it. And the rest is personal preference on shape. I've gravitated to liking compact bends and the huge M35 Deda setup. There's really no way to settle this other than trying a few and seeing what you think...which stinks with bars since they're $20 to ship...

pdmtong
08-23-2017, 06:13 PM
IMHO the reason for carbon bars is because they come in varying shapes - not the bend but the top cross-section shape - flat/teardrop, oval, round, fat, skinny...as well as transition to the bar and then ergo or round bend. of course most of us grew up/started with a traditional round cross-section...but given the choice, I like what carbon offers - check out the ritchey evo curve for example.

54ny77
08-23-2017, 06:18 PM
count me among the "can't tell a damned bit difference" carbon vs. alu. handlebar & stem club.

on one bike, i had a high zoot ritchey carbon stem and easton carbon bar (the one with flat top, finger dimples and red on a good part of the bar). they came with the bike. one afternoon i was putting on new cables, tape and repositioning the levers. when i had it all set and was cinching down the stem clamp bolts slowly but surely (and in proper sequence), while still UNDER torque spec i heard a very faint crackling sound. thank goodness i didn't have the garage stereo on, or i'd have never heard it. backed it off and tried tightening again, it sounded like the faintest rice crispies.

didn't like that one bit. immediately pulled it off, swapped everything out for a pro vibe 7s traditional round bend compact aluminum bar, a pro vibe 7s aluminum stem that i had on hand, and presto. done. not once do i ever think or worry about carbon torque issues. ever. and frankly, the front end feels stiffer and better with that setup. it's dialed. no issues whatsoever with more or less fatigue, numbness, buzzyness, yadda yadda.

alloy bars & stems used for gazillion years, and......they're still quite good.

simonov
08-23-2017, 06:20 PM
Can you post a photo of the Ritchey bars you like? Depending on which version, they may make a black anodized or carbon version of the same shape. Or if you like the old WCS Classic shallow drop bars Deda's Zero 100 Shallow is pretty much the same shape.

As for carbon, I like carbon bars, but nobody makes the shape I currently like in carbon so I ride aluminum on most of my bikes. I'd say shape trumps material. It's also worth noting that while the shape of the drops may look similar in the bars you list, they may have widely varying tops and ramps, which could change how they feel or where the hoods end up.

ntb1001
08-23-2017, 06:23 PM
I have and use the 3T ergonova on 2 different bikes...one carbon, and one aluminum. I like both, although i tend to wrap my bars thick with extra tape so I probably can't properly tell the difference.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

nmrt
08-23-2017, 06:26 PM
For me going from an alloy to a carbon bar was a HUGE difference. Mind you, I could not feel the difference in riding over smooth flat roads at "normal" speeds. But since I live in CO, going downhill from high passes at high speeds and coming across bumps/irregularities on the road made my hand greatly fatigued on alloy bars. Switching to carbon was a great relief.

m4rk540
08-23-2017, 06:35 PM
Deda Zero100s have the same reach and drop as the Somas; however, the Dedas have a more classic transition and work better for larger hands. If you're comfortable in the drops of the Soma, check out the Zipp SL 70s. Very similar shape, same drop but 5mm less reach.

Carbon fiber is not a good application for handlebars, IMO.

pdmtong
08-23-2017, 06:39 PM
Can you post a photo of the Ritchey bars you like? Depending on which version, they may make a black anodized or carbon version of the same shape. Or if you like the old WCS Classic shallow drop bars Deda's Zero 100 Shallow is pretty much the same shape.

As for carbon, I like carbon bars, but nobody makes the shape I currently like in carbon so I ride aluminum on most of my bikes. I'd say shape trumps material. It's also worth noting that while the shape of the drops may look similar in the bars you list, they may have widely varying tops and ramps, which could change how they feel or where the hoods end up.

yes, shape trumps material. I have these in both carbon and alloy and no difference. love the ovalized flats so no palm dig from a sharper trailing edge when climbing. transition is flat to the hoods which I like for campy and sram (no idea on shimano). note since these have some flare, I size up to 44 while in most other bars I ride a 42.

https://ritcheylogic.com/media/catalog/product/cache/6/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/f/cf-evocurve-spec-diagram-dp_1.jpg

FlashUNC
08-23-2017, 06:43 PM
Ritchey makes those classic bars in black too.

exapkib
08-23-2017, 07:38 PM
I appreciate the thoughtful replies here.

It's always encouraging to see that this forum seems to be made up of equal parts information and enabling.

dustyrider
08-23-2017, 07:41 PM
Hwy one also comes in black. Which is where I may go...I'm in the same boat with indecision.

Mzilliox
08-23-2017, 07:43 PM
yes, carbon bars do help some. i had aluminum zipp bars on the zanconato which is already a stiff bike. my driveway is 3/4 mile of gravel, so its harsh on a race bike. I didn;t like the interaction with the campagnolo hoods no matter what i tried so i snagged some carbon bars for a deal. i swapped to the carbon easton something 70 compact bars, and not only did my hoods fit better on the bar itself, the dampening was noticeable immediately on the gravel drive with the same everything else including bar tape. nice bar.

so yeah, its real, and maybe worth it depending on the bike. I use alu bars on the Goodrich n Lavecaise because they are a bit more forgiving on the gravel already. and i beat up the Lavecaise on the gravel pretty hard sometimes so i prefer the aluminum.

and yes, they are lighter

Mzilliox
08-23-2017, 07:45 PM
and if you ride a 42, i have a couple you can try and buy the one you like while sending the others back, just like mr cleant39s offer. happy to help a brotha find a bar. PM me if interested.

pdmtong
08-24-2017, 05:22 PM
When carbon bars have shaping on the flats I have found them more comfortable than the traditional round 26.0 bar because now I have more surface area to rest on.

An unexpected result was no longer wanting padded gloves - I use non-padded Giro Zero or Rapha Pro Team which allow me to almost get that "no gloves" feeling but of course with the palm abrasion protection of gloves.

Clean39T
08-24-2017, 05:49 PM
FWIW - I've got 42cm wet-black WCS Evo Curve bars available too - aluminum..

They match the Yamaguchi stem perfectly - as does the wet-black 27.2 post I have NIB.

$100 shipped for the pair [emoji41]

sokyroadie
08-24-2017, 06:06 PM
I really like the FSA wing compact bars - have both carbon & Alum. Blindfolded I would not be able to tell the difference.

Jeff

exapkib
08-24-2017, 06:08 PM
When carbon bars have shaping on the flats I have found them more comfortable than the traditional round 26.0 bar because now I have more surface area to rest on.

An unexpected result was no longer wanting padded gloves - I use non-padded Giro Zero or Rapha Pro Team which allow me to almost get that "no gloves" feeling but of course with the palm abrasion protection of gloves.

The complex shapes that carbon can be convinced to assume seem to be one of the primary advantages of the material in fabricating handlebars

FWIW - I've got 42cm wet-black WCS Evo Curve bars available too - aluminum..

They match the Yamaguchi stem perfectly - as does the wet-black 27.2 post I have NIB.

$100 shipped for the pair [emoji41]

Another generous offer! At this point, I've pretty much decided to just use the bar I have (the Ritchey Classic) until the aesthetic issues really get to me (or enough people make disparaging comments about the setup). I may yet try one of they new-fangled carbon bars, but I think that time is still a ways off for me. Really I'm just desperate to get this bike out on the road already!

(Also, my Yamaguchi stem is 26.0, so it's part of an entirely different handlebar conversation.)

Clean39T
08-24-2017, 06:35 PM
The complex shapes that carbon can be convinced to assume seem to be one of the primary advantages of the material in fabricating handlebars

Another generous offer! At this point, I've pretty much decided to just use the bar I have (the Ritchey Classic) until the aesthetic issues really get to me (or enough people make disparaging comments about the setup). I may yet try one of they new-fangled carbon bars, but I think that time is still a ways off for me. Really I'm just desperate to get this bike out on the road already!

(Also, my Yamaguchi stem is 26.0, so it's part of an entirely different handlebar conversation.)

Right on!

doomridesout
08-24-2017, 07:27 PM
I'm an alloy bar guy, but I also prefer a round top. The 3T Ergosum is my sweet spot. Shape trumps anything, but particularly reach for your fit... some compact bend bars are longer reach than others. I like the 3Ts because the bar shoulder is a bit longer than some other brands, allowing one to move around between the hoods and the bar shoulder.

Ken Robb
08-24-2017, 07:38 PM
If you find bars that suit you and they are not available in black I would use them anyway. Once you wrap the bars and put on a computer there isn't much bar showing. :)

jtbadge
08-24-2017, 07:43 PM
I'm curious which Ritchey Classic bars you have - there have been at lest 3 different shapes with that name -
-the original (WCS/) Classic - a shallow drop traditional bend
-Classic Curve - the silver finished compact drop
-NeoClassic/the current Classic drop - a circular round bend with flat hood transitions

Technobuyer
08-26-2017, 10:44 AM
count me among the "can't tell a damned bit difference" carbon vs. alu. handlebar & stem club.

on one bike, i had a high zoot ritchey carbon stem and easton carbon bar (the one with flat top, finger dimples and red on a good part of the bar). they came with the bike. one afternoon i was putting on new cables, tape and repositioning the levers. when i had it all set and was cinching down the stem clamp bolts slowly but surely (and in proper sequence), while still UNDER torque spec i heard a very faint crackling sound. thank goodness i didn't have the garage stereo on, or i'd have never heard it. backed it off and tried tightening again, it sounded like the faintest rice crispies.

didn't like that one bit. immediately pulled it off, swapped everything out for a pro vibe 7s traditional round bend compact aluminum bar, a pro vibe 7s aluminum stem that i had on hand, and presto. done. not once do i ever think or worry about carbon torque issues. ever. and frankly, the front end feels stiffer and better with that setup. it's dialed. no issues whatsoever with more or less fatigue, numbness, buzzyness, yadda yadda.

alloy bars & stems used for gazillion years, and......they're still quite good.

I had this exact thing happen to me last night with the exact same bar. Swapped out a stem for a new one. Using torque key, proper technique, etc... Cruuuunch. Not happy, but ordered a alloy 3t Ergonova this morning. Hopefully won't notice much difference either, but can't justify sinking that kind of cash again.

pdmtong
08-26-2017, 05:39 PM
I had this exact thing happen to me last night with the exact same bar. Swapped out a stem for a new one. Using torque key, proper technique, etc... Cruuuunch. Not happy, but ordered a alloy 3t Ergonova this morning. Hopefully won't notice much difference either, but can't justify sinking that kind of cash again.

Not sure why you got Cruuuunch while I've never had that happen. Lots of metal 31.8 bars come shaped too. Save $200 over carbon and give up some grams

jeremy.b
09-05-2017, 03:40 PM
Style wise you "have" to go carbon, black at the least :)

stien
09-05-2017, 05:13 PM
For the above: Sounds like the "ticking" of unlubed metal on metal (bolts to faceplate?). Probably fine.

I too couldn't tell much difference between carbon and alloy bars. I wanted to try narrower bars so I pulled the trigger on a $20 set of aero bonty bars on eBay. Love it.

Have a 42cm Ritchey Neo Classic bar collecting dust.

exapkib
09-05-2017, 05:27 PM
I'm curious which Ritchey Classic bars you have - there have been at lest 3 different shapes with that name -
-NeoClassic/the current Classic drop - a circular round bend with flat hood transitions

I'm pretty sure I've got the Classic Curve. It's got a compact bend--128 drop and 73 reach. Love the shape.

jtbadge
09-05-2017, 06:46 PM
I'm pretty sure I've got the Classic Curve. It's got a compact bend--128 drop and 73 reach. Love the shape.

That'd be the same shape as the Comp Curve or WCS Curve, if you just want a matte black version of the same bend. The WCS is lighter weight, to boot.

https://ritcheylogic.com/wcs-curve-blatte-road-bar

https://ritcheylogic.com/media/catalog/product/cache/7/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/b/r/br_rd_cf_wcs_logiccurve_my2017_angle.jpg

Bostic
10-01-2017, 11:07 PM

Thread bump as I have a question about the the current Silver Classic drop bar. Did Ritchey make a running change on this bar shape in the past couple of years? I bought one when it first came out (the black Neo Classic) and had it on my Steve Rex for a little while. There was no way to get it looking like this:

https://ritcheylogic.com/media/catalog/product/cache/6/image/640x480/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/2/0/2015-road-logic-complete.jpg

or also on that killer Bonanno Paso Doble in the custom bikes area.

The levers would have to be tilted inwards at a horrible ergonomic angle. I saw this on the post across the hall from a few years back as well.

"tried one, but didn't work for me; there is no way to install the levers high enough so that the tip of the lever is in line with the horizontal part of the drop, the clamp band would sit in the bend inwards and because of that you can't get the lever body in a vertical position. these were shimano 9000 levers, could be different for sram or campa"