PDA

View Full Version : Handlebra wrapping preference

Satellite
08-23-2017, 03:06 PM
I have a dilemma. All my bars are wrapped in Handlebra. Handlebra works best with an underlayment. I have always used cork tape because I had an abundance for cork tape or the bars were already wrapped with cork tape so I just wrapped the handlebra over existing tape. I am now out of Cork Tape so being cheap I actually went out and purchased Hockey Tape as my underlayment. The Hockey Tape was like $5.00 and Iam betting I could wrap 6 pairs of handle bars with the quantity of tape I have.

That was long back story to my question.

Anyone have Handlebra with both Cork Tape and Hockey Tape underlayment? Which do you like better or can you even tell the difference?

I am plenty happy with the Cork Tape base but I am afraid I will be disappointed with Hockey Tape base. I only want to wrap the bars once because I do the split tape method where I terminate under the Brifter Hoods for that clean look.

Thanks in advance,

Satellite

sokyroadie
08-23-2017, 05:29 PM
I can't do a comparison, but have HB on all my bikes with hockey tape under and I really like it.

Jeff

Frankwurst
08-23-2017, 06:30 PM
I can't do a comparison, but have HB on all my bikes with hockey tape under and I really like it.

Jeff

Same here. Two bikes with HB and hockey tape under and it has worked fine. gonna do another the same way soon.:beer:

Satellite
08-24-2017, 08:19 PM
Anyone else? I need to get these bars wrapped up hoping to find someone having tried both methods with some feedback!

If I don't get a confirmation by tomorrow morning I am going to use the hockey tape method.

Then I will know first hand. :banana:

djg21
08-24-2017, 08:29 PM
I use Fizik bar gel pads under hockey tape. The gel thickens the bars and adds just a bit if cushion. Since Handlebra can be re-wrapped easily, why don’t you try it?

Satellite
08-24-2017, 08:38 PM
I use the split method to wrap my bars. The Handlebra is terminated and taped under the hoods. So if I use the thinner underlayment first I may NOT have enough Handlebra to later use the cork base.