PDA

View Full Version : Started with that Madone now I'm here...

Clean39T
08-22-2017, 05:06 PM
*** this is the thread previously known as "What a year its been...confessions of an undisciplined bike buyer..." -- changed because that all sounded too negative when in actuality it's been fun times - so if you're new to the thread - don't worry, life is good, riding is happy, everything is kosh - enjoy the read ***

With an annual ride hitting this weekend, I'm remembering it was about a year ago (maybe in Sept/Oct) that I started going bike-buying crazy. Since then, I've had 30 bikes in some form pass through my garage, some for a very short time (unridden), some for a longer time, and with five currently sticking around.

It all started with a vague feeling that my 6.9SSL front end was a wet-noodle descending, not really liking the SRAM Force on it, and thinking it wasn't worth it to upgrade the parts vs. buying a different bike. From there things got weird...and I'm only just now settling into what I think is a good understanding of what fits and what I like/need/want.

It's been a long strange trip, and I like to think some of my madness has resulted in a number of folks here being happy they got good deals on some really nice bikes. Most of the time it's been a fun process. I love wrenching on bikes. But a couple of them have been a PITA due to inaccurate listings. And all that wrenching, boxing, searching, etc. has taken away a bit from my ride time.

Was it worth it? Most of them, yes. Some of them, no.

This next year will be markedly different though. I have some personal-life commitments drawing away some of the hobby time, and I'm not going to sacrifice training/riding for unnecessary wrenching. That may change depending on how some other things go though. Maybe I'll hit the lottery, quit my day-job, and trade in used bike parts full time :banana:

I still have quite a few accumulated parts to clear out as I get the couple that are staying built and fine-tuned. Prices will be trending to blow-out as we get into the fall and my time starts running short... :help:

New ’12 Trek Madone 6.9 SSL (60) – bought NOS, rode 1,500mi, didn’t like the lack of front end stiffness/tracking at time, but wish I’d kept this one New ’14 Kestrel Legend SL (59) – bought online, sent back, didn’t think I liked the look and was going to keep the Madone Used ’14 Cannondale SS EVO HM (58) – frame only, too small due to cut fork New ’14 Cannondale SS EVO HM (58) – complete, bought online, returned, didn’t like the look New ’15 Cannondale CAAD10 Black Inc (60) – bought on super-sale, didn’t like ride, found the Tarmac New ’15 Niner Air 9 RDO (L) – returned, too small Used ’15 Specialized Tarmac Pro (61) – liked it, kinda felt too big, wanted steel Used ’07 Yamaguchi Team USA (59) – loved it, raced it, rode it, felt too big, wanted to rebuild w Campy, stripped it, rebuilt twice trying to get it to fit, admitted it doesn’t, passed on Used ’12 Lynskey R460 (58) – complete, came as a bit of a basket-case, but a good price, tried it, had other projects in mind Used ’04 Merckx MX Leader 25th Anniv (59) – complete, tried it, didn’t like clearance or bar/stem options Used ‘90s Fat Chance (19) – frame only, looked too small, had other projects Used ‘90s Serotta Colorado III (63) – semi-complete, built it, liked the ride, a bit big, didn’t like bar/stem options Used Felt F1 (61) – frame only, wasn’t in described condition, went back to seller Used ‘10s Zanconato Sportif (58.5) – frame only, liked ride, but not bar/stem options, and should have tried with a straight post given 72.5* STA, felt like I was way out the back and only realized that was due to a 25+mm setback after I sold it Used ‘90s Holland Steel (64) – complete, way too big, not sure why I bought it Used ’07 Holland Ti (59) – stripped to rebuild and got confused on measurements, should never have sold, biggest one I regret.. :L Used ’05 Merlin XLM (22) – complete off PinkBike, parts were bunk, PayPal complaint process left a bad taste, sold the frame, donated the parts Used '00s Serotta Legend/?? (57) – complete, bought for the wheels and fork, passed the frame on to a new owner Used ’05 Merlin Extralight (62) – complete, rode great, too big Used ‘00s Serotta Legend Ti (62) – complete, rode amazing, too big Used ’08 Holland Ti (63) – complete, rode amazing, too big New(ish) ’14 Kestrel Legend SL (59) – complete, great price from Amazon Whse, liked it a lot, liked the fit and geometry, wasn’t sure about frame clearance/style or carbon in general, wanted Ti/Steel in same proportions Used ’11 Moots Rigormootis (20) – complete, package deal, got chance to get 29’er instead, sold frameset Used ’11 Moots Vamoots CR (60) [current] – complete, stripped older DA, rebuilt w DA9100, rides great, fits great Used ’03 Litespeed Ultimate (58) – complete, bought locally, guy needed to sell it and I passed on the deal to the forum folks knowing it was too small for me (most likely – could have made it work) Used ’15 Moots Vamoots (52) – frameset, wife thought it was “too nice”, passed it on to forum member who wanted it initially Used ’93 Keith Anderson (58) [current] – complete, responded to PSA on eBay listing, probably shouldn’t have, donating most of the parts, unsure I’ll keep it even though it has good clearance, but may hold onto it as a rain bike until the custom rando gets built Used ’14 Moots MootoX RSL (20) [current] – frameset, discussed over a month or two with seller, decided to try it, unsure I need it vs. a ‘cross bike, going to build and ride while its up for sale Used ’06 Merlin Works 6/4Ti (59) [current] – complete, bought locally, likely keeping as training bike until next race season Used ’15 Pegoretti Marcelo (58) [inbound] – frame only, responded to PSA on eBay listing, hoping for a good fit and good ride characteristics, may push the Moots CR or the Merlin out the door depending on garage space New Custom [maybe] - Thinking about a custom neo-rando road bike…like for the Race Across Oregon…bad roads, but still roads, all day/night riding…deposit in the Fall, delivery in the Winter.

oldpotatoe
08-22-2017, 05:12 PM
With an annual ride hitting this weekend, I'm remembering it was about a year ago (maybe in Sept/Oct) that I started going bike-buying crazy. Since then, I've had 30 bikes in some form pass through my garage, some for a very short time (unridden), some for a longer time, and with five currently sticking around.

It all started with a vague feeling that my 6.9SSL front end was a wet-noodle descending, not really liking the SRAM Force on it, and thinking it wasn't worth it to upgrade the parts vs. buying a different bike. From there things got weird...and I'm only just now settling into what I think is a good understanding of what fits and what I like/need/want.

It's been a long strange trip, and I like to think some of my madness has resulted in a number of folks here being happy they got good deals on some really nice bikes. Most of the time it's been a fun process. I love wrenching on bikes. But a couple of them have been a PITA due to inaccurate listings. And all that wrenching, boxing, searching, etc. has taken away a bit from my ride time.

This next year will be markedly different though. I have some personal-life commitments drawing away some of the hobby time, and I'm not going to sacrifice training/riding for unnecessary wrenching. That may change depending on how some other things go though. Maybe I'll hit the lottery, quit my day-job, and trade in used bike parts full time :banana:

I still have quite a few accumulated parts to clear out as I get the couple that are staying built and fine-tuned. Prices will be trending to blow-out as we get into the fall and my time starts running short... :help:

New ’12 Trek Madone 6.9 SSL (60) – bought NOS, rode 1,500mi, didn’t like the lack of front end stiffness/tracking at time, but wish I’d kept this one New ’14 Kestrel Legend SL (59) – bought online, sent back, didn’t think I liked the look and was going to keep the Madone Used ’14 Cannondale SS EVO HM (58) – frame only, too small due to cut fork New ’14 Cannondale SS EVO HM (58) – complete, bought online, returned, didn’t like the look New ’15 Cannondale CAAD10 Black Inc (60) – bought on super-sale, didn’t like ride, found the Tarmac New ’15 Niner Air 9 RDO (L) – returned, too small Used ’15 Specialized Tarmac Pro (61) – liked it, kinda felt too big, wanted steel Used ’07 Yamaguchi Team USA (59) – loved it, raced it, rode it, felt too big, wanted to rebuild w Campy, stripped it, rebuilt twice trying to get it to fit, admitted it doesn’t, passed on Used ’12 Lynskey R460 (58) – complete, came as a bit of a basket-case, but a good price, tried it, had other projects in mind Used ’04 Merckx MX Leader 25th Anniv (59) – complete, tried it, didn’t like clearance or bar/stem options Used ‘90s Fat Chance (19) – frame only, looked too small, had other projects Used ‘90s Serotta Colorado III (63) – semi-complete, built it, liked the ride, a bit big, didn’t like bar/stem options Used Felt F1 (61) – frame only, wasn’t in described condition, went back to seller Used ‘10s Zanconato Sportif (58.5) – frame only, liked ride, but not bar/stem options, and should have tried with a straight post given 72.5* STA, felt like I was way out the back and only realized that was due to a 25+mm setback after I sold it Used ‘90s Holland Steel (64) – complete, way too big, not sure why I bought it Used ’07 Holland Ti (59) – stripped to rebuild and got confused on measurements, should never have sold, biggest one I regret.. :L Used ’05 Merlin XLM (22) – complete off PinkBike, parts were bunk, PayPal complaint process left a bad taste, sold the frame, donated the parts Used '00s Serotta Legend/?? (57) – complete, bought for the wheels and fork, passed the frame on to a new owner Used ’05 Merlin Extralight (62) – complete, rode great, too big Used ‘00s Serotta Legend Ti (62) – complete, rode amazing, too big Used ’08 Holland Ti (63) – complete, rode amazing, too big New(ish) ’14 Kestrel Legend SL (59) – complete, great price from Amazon Whse, liked it a lot, liked the fit and geometry, wasn’t sure about frame clearance/style or carbon in general, wanted Ti/Steel in same proportions Used ’11 Moots Rigormootis (20) – complete, package deal, got chance to get 29’er instead, sold frameset Used ’11 Moots Vamoots CR (60) [current] – complete, stripped older DA, rebuilt w DA9100, rides great, fits great Used ’03 Litespeed Ultimate (58) – complete, bought locally, guy needed to sell it and I passed on the deal to the forum folks knowing it was too small for me (most likely – could have made it work) Used ’15 Moots Vamoots (52) – frameset, wife thought it was “too nice”, passed it on to forum member who wanted it initially Used ’93 Keith Anderson (58) [current] – complete, responded to PSA on eBay listing, probably shouldn’t have, donating most of the parts, unsure I’ll keep it even though it has good clearance, but may hold onto it as a rain bike until the custom rando gets built Used ’14 Moots MootoX RSL (20) [current] – frameset, discussed over a month or two with seller, decided to try it, unsure I need it vs. a ‘cross bike, going to build and ride while its up for sale Used ’06 Merlin Works 6/4Ti (59) [current] – complete, bought locally, likely keeping as training bike until next race season Used ’15 Pegoretti Marcelo (58) [inbound] – frame only, responded to PSA on eBay listing, hoping for a good fit and good ride characteristics, may push the Moots CR or the Merlin out the door depending on garage space New Custom [maybe] - Thinking about a custom neo-rando road bike…like for the Race Across Oregon…bad roads, but still roads, all day/night riding…deposit in the Fall, delivery in the Winter.

Yikes....

exapkib
08-22-2017, 05:14 PM
Wow! This is either the ultimate warning or the ultimate cautionary tale.

I saw the Yamaguchi sold--such a fine frame.

All any of us can hope is to spend as much time riding the bike as we spend thinking about the bikes.

54ny77
08-22-2017, 05:16 PM
at least you're not buying crack.

:D

gdw
08-22-2017, 05:17 PM
You must be single.

R3awak3n
08-22-2017, 05:20 PM
How much money did you loose through buying and selling these many bikes? Sounds fun though, got to try a lot of stuff but the way the market it is, seems like can be a pain to sell stuff (like the guchi that was up for ages and that is probably the coolest bike on that whole list)

Clean39T
08-22-2017, 05:25 PM
You must be single.

Surprisingly, no. But I don't have kids. And have a lot of time on my hands... My wife knows I like working on bikes. Plus its not as if all of these were bought full retail and sold for pennies on the dollar. Most have been bought at a good price and sold at a good price. I'm out time and packing material, but not that much money. That said, I probably could have bought a new custom ti frameset fully built and been done with it, and maybe not be in a much different place as far as funds sunk into it - but there's a high likelihood I would have gotten something that was not the right fit given my feeling for that has changed (or come full circle) over the year. So there's that.

Clean39T
08-22-2017, 05:29 PM
How much money did you loose through buying and selling these many bikes? Sounds fun though, got to try a lot of stuff but the way the market it is, seems like can be a pain to sell stuff (like the guchi that was up for ages and that is probably the coolest bike on that whole list)

Trying to estimate that would give me a serious headache.

I ate a little on the Merlin XLM and the Holland Steel - though I also made some good donations to a 501(c)3 off them both (and off a number of the others too).

And some were just returns.

The rest were relatively breakeven - some I probably was up a little, others down a little.

I do have more money tied up in spares at the moment than I'd like to, but I'm working on that. And heck, if I'd put this stash in the market for a year, it's not like I'd be up that much anyway...

R3awak3n
08-22-2017, 05:30 PM

I ate a little on the Merlin XLM and the Holland Steel - though I also made some good donations to a 501(c)3 off them both (and off a number of the others too).

The rest were relatively breakeven - some I probably was up a little, others down a little.

I do have more money tied up in spares at the moment than I'd like to, but I'm working on that. And heck, if I'd put this stash in the market for a year, it's not like I'd be up that much anyway...

hey, its cool that you got to try so many bikes :)

not true on the market though, whatever I put up this year I am up 20% ;0

but it was not fun at all, just put money and wait. BORING

John H.
08-22-2017, 05:33 PM
I would be interested in this too-

Hopefully the learning in terms of fit, likes, dislikes, wrenching skills, packing skills, buying and selling skills was worth the haircut on 30 bikes.

Mzilliox
08-22-2017, 05:35 PM
Wow, you make me and Hilltopper look like amateurs. what a fun year!

Clean39T
08-22-2017, 05:36 PM
Wow! This is either the ultimate warning or the ultimate cautionary tale.

I saw the Yamaguchi sold--such a fine frame.

All any of us can hope is to spend as much time riding the bike as we spend thinking about the bikes.

It was cathartic pulling the whole list together, that's for sure.

I'm a bit gutted still about letting the first Holland Ti go, but I know Yarg is loving it, so that helps. Same with the Zanc Sportif that likewise went to a great home, helping cool the regret. And I know the Yamaguchi is headed to one now too. Likewise the Legend Ti and other Holland Ti, the XLM and Rigormootis, the Serotta CO-III, Holland Ti, and even the MXL found a collector through eBay who may be on here now.

Louis
08-22-2017, 05:37 PM
Hmmm, maybe being hooked on drugs isn't that bad after all...

https://hgsrs.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/drug-addict1.jpg

Clean39T
08-22-2017, 05:39 PM
hey, its cool that you got to try so many bikes :)

not true on the market though, whatever I put up this year I am up 20% ;0

but it was not fun at all, just put money and wait. BORING

My investing skills are teh sucks. Something I should probably get better at. But I kind of came of age in my career through the '07-09 crisis and am generally bearish this entire bubble economy, so I have a hard time buying and holding stocks. Also doesn't help that I watched my Dad lose his entire retirement when Enron went belly-up. At least my house has appreciated - on paper :rolleyes:

ceolwulf
08-22-2017, 05:41 PM
That's one long and complex fit session :)

Vonruden
08-22-2017, 05:46 PM
I should show this to my wife ;)

d_douglas
08-22-2017, 05:52 PM
I should show this to my wife ;)

Mine would be disgusted. I'm not. In fact, if you size these down to a 58cm, I might start wasting more money :)!! (eg, Pegoretti!!!)

My wife always reminds me that if I spent the time on Paceline to ride, I would be super fit. I totally agree with her, but its fun, so what the heck.

Hindmost
08-22-2017, 05:56 PM
My list of bikes would be about as long. But it took me almost 45 years to do what you did in one.

Clean39T
08-22-2017, 05:56 PM
My wife always reminds me that if I spent the time on Paceline to ride, I would be super fit. I totally agree with her, but its fun, so what the heck.

I don't watch much TV...but I probably should stop logging in during work hours...hard not to on long, seriously boring conference calls though :no:

OtayBW
08-22-2017, 06:21 PM
One word came to mind after reading post #1: RITALIN

pdmtong
08-22-2017, 06:37 PM

A friend of mine plans to lose a large sum of money buying/selling/changing cars a few times a year. By large sum I mean $20kish...it's his thing. the guy has owned something like 50+ cars...

One thing this thread reminds me is being grateful I am a stock size. I have no idea how the OP could entertain sizes from 58-63 but having seen some of his setups in the gallery, these aren't faster backwards shopping carts. 30 frames seems excessive over just spending some money to get a fit but we all have our indulgences.

rwsaunders
08-22-2017, 06:41 PM
If your wife doesn't mind and you don't mind, don't worry about it. I've had two friends drown while on family vacations, which places things in perspective in terms of where life can quickly take you...without you necessarily agreeing to go there. Enjoy life while you can and keep on posting your nice bikes.

cachagua
08-22-2017, 06:43 PM
I've had 30 bikes in some form pass through my garage... but I don't have kids.

I like the way you think, sir.

Bwana
08-22-2017, 06:49 PM
I got the Moots (or... My dad did). Will be posting a build thread soon. Etap :p

Tickdoc
08-22-2017, 07:13 PM
Damn, son.....

https://i.imgur.com/MGPZfIY.png

weisan
08-22-2017, 07:15 PM
:d

54ny77
08-22-2017, 07:27 PM
that pic is friggin' hilarious.

perspective: most of y'all realize that, if you're married, your wife has bought more clothes than you'll ever know about, brought 'em home, tried 'em on (at least 491 times), then finally changed her mind and returned 'em to store....

that process makes our 39t friend here look like he's conducting mere child's play with respect to his multiple bike nibbles.

:beer:

:d

Clean39T
08-22-2017, 07:28 PM
Damn, son.....

https://i.imgur.com/MGPZfIY.png

Almost just fell off my trainer laughing...

Slipstream
08-22-2017, 07:30 PM
I love this. Man, if only you were a 56 then I could just wait in line.

I tend to go (all) in on hobbies that involve gearing up. Cars, boats, fly fishing, furniture making, crossfit, etc. And do a lot of research before purchasing so I look for high quality/high demand items that I know I can sell without much of a loss when I need to sell.

My rule, that has kept me happily married for 25 years, is that I unload gear from one of my other hobbies/passions, to make room and fund the next one.

You are my new hero!

jbf
08-22-2017, 07:32 PM
Wow, I thought I was addicted. I have not bought a bike/frame in a year. But have many skeletons hanging in the basement.

Clean39T
08-22-2017, 07:32 PM
A friend of mine plans to lose a large sum of money buying/selling/changing cars a few times a year. By large sum I mean $20kish...it's his thing. the guy has owned something like 50+ cars...

One thing this thread reminds me is being grateful I am a stock size. I have no idea how the OP could entertain sizes from 58-63 but having seen some of his setups in the gallery, these aren't faster backwards shopping carts. 30 frames seems excessive over just spending some money to get a fit but we all have our indulgences.

There's only one or two that were really not within the fit range - the rest could have worked, but weren't just right for one reason or another.

One lesson I did learn, or at least am trying to, is don't get OCD about everything matching as far as finishing kit, group, etc. until you know if you're keeping it long term. Not that big of a deal, but did add hassle and expense.

Clean39T
08-22-2017, 07:41 PM
If your wife doesn't mind and you don't mind, don't worry about it. I've had two friends drown while on family vacations, which places things in perspective in terms of where life can quickly take you...without you necessarily agreeing to go there. Enjoy life while you can and keep on posting your nice bikes.

Man, that's awful. We are super fragile and all headed to the same place eventually - in the meantime, let's have fun, be our best selves, and take good care of eachother..

geeter
08-22-2017, 07:53 PM

perspective: most of y'all realize that, if you're married, your wife has bought more clothes than you'll ever know about, brought 'em home, tried 'em on (at least 491 times), then finally changed her mind and returned 'em to store....

that process makes our 39t friend here look like he's conducting mere child's play with respect to his multiple bike nibbles.

[emoji481]That is so true. My wife always does that. Drives me nuts.

Enjoy the hobby in any way you chose. I think we all have one of the healthiest obsessions around.

Funny to think of how different sports allow for different buying standards. I'm a lifelong ice hockey goalie. We are weird about equipment that we like and fits us. I once had a tailor sew extensions on my chest arms combo when I outgrew them in high school because I thought new ones would make me a sieve.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Hilltopperny
08-22-2017, 08:15 PM
:beer: I think I only went through about a bakers dozen in the past year. Thanks for making my excessive and impulsive bike buying look a bit tame, but it is a fun and great hobby compared to lots of other things out there. Up until a few weeks ago I had an excessive amount of time and filled it with bike building, buying and riding. I've had the opportunity to own and ride many dream bikes and I am glad I did! Wow, you make me and Hilltopper look like amateurs. what a fun year!

parris
08-22-2017, 08:51 PM
The problem isn't that you bought too many bikes... The problem is that you bought them all in the wrong size! Those numbers should all read 55 or 56 SHEESH!:D

hollowgram5
08-22-2017, 09:42 PM
Man I know how you feel. Been there too many times. My luck is, that I have a stack of frames that fit me well, and I ride them on top of being able to ride off the peg 60-63 cm frames..

I've only ever bought 2 that I can think of that didn't fit like I'd hoped (or I didnt know any better upon purchasing). One was my first road frame, second I'm gonna try to sell off to a buddy before too long. I've got a third that is just a touch too small, but I still enjoy the way it rides (and its super cool) and have a friend that will buy it if I ever sell.

You had at least two that I'd have bought, had timing been different, but they are in good places now. Glad you got back on some that fit well and have been able to share your experiences with us all here.

KJMUNC
08-22-2017, 10:03 PM
Wow....that's an aggressive list of activity for a year. Heck, I've been through less bikes in 10yrs and I tend to swap out more than most.

Do you really know what your fit measurements are? Looking at your rationale for selling I'd say no. I keep a spreadsheet of my fit dimensions and the specs on every bike I've ever owned. That way when I get the jones to try something new, I can compare it to previous bikes and contrast against why I didn't like that fit. Without that you're just guessing, which sounds like is the case if you're bouncing between 62-58 across so many brands.

Was it Simon or Garfunkel who said it best? "Slow down, you move to fast....you've got to make the feeling last"

93KgBike
08-22-2017, 10:57 PM
I can relate, man. And so can my wife.

Nice honest post.

Clean39T
08-22-2017, 10:59 PM
Alright, if I parse this a little further, here's how they broke down:

For wifey: 1
For the parts (intentional re-sale: 4
Returned: 3
Didn't really ride: 5
Rode a few times: 10
Significant miles: 5
Pending: 3

It's not so crazy when you break it down. But I do wish I'd gone slower on some of these. That's a lesson learned - though going slower on one of them may have meant missing another - can't go back and see what would have been by just changing one variable.

I do have most of the sizing details of the ones I rode a few times and decided weren't for me (but sizing wasn't the only factor); and the ones I've put significant miles on I have all the data. The sizes I listed were nominal, not normalized to account for measuring differences and STA/HTA variation. I still don't really understand stack and reach..

At this point though, I do know that in a traditional road setup (STA/HTA 73ish) I need a 58-58.5TT and 110-120mm stem off a 15-20mm setback post and with 8-10cm drop. That's my comfortable road position for 20-75mi rides over mixed terrain.

What I'm still fuzzy on is what geometry would work best for me for 100+mi rides; and I don't know where I should be for MTB (fireroad/light-XC) or cross - still have more experimenting to do there.

Which means I have a bit more work to do before I have that custom built. Maybe I'll rent something for a weekend.. :rolleyes:

I also learned a lot about groups. Namely, not a big fan of SRAM even though it worked pretty flawlessly for me - just never liked the feel. I like the shifting of Campy 10 the best, but the hoods don't fit my giant hands that well. I probably like Campy 11 SR/Record the best, but ultimately had an easier time piecing matching stuff together with newer DA/Ult bits - and it just works. Once I settle on the 2-3 frames I'm keeping long term though, I could see them getting Campy. Seems like that may be the winter project.

And I love Deda stuff - M35 bars are my jam - with 3T Ergonova and Thomson bars a close second.

Still working on my optimal saddle - could be the Toupe/Power, but I'm not 100% sold and may need to try some more SMPs.

Pedals - Dura Ace, with Time in second place.

And wheels/tires - have enjoyed the HED C2/Belgium+ variants with Veloflex and latex, the tubular adventure is just starting.

The big kicker - I think I'm finally accepting a 36T may be the best for me :no:

Best part of it all? Finding this place. You all are great. I've learned a ton and really enjoy the camaraderie here...

m4rk540
08-22-2017, 11:23 PM
At this point though, I do know that in a traditional road setup (STA/HTA 73ish) I need a 58-58.5TT and 110-120mm stem off a 15-20mm setback post and with 8-10cm drop. That's my comfortable road position for 20-75mi rides over mixed terrain.

What I'm still fuzzy on is what geometry would work best for me for 100+mi rides; and I don't know where I should be for MTB (fireroad/light-XC) or cross - still have more experimenting to do there.

What works for 10 miles should work for 100 miles. Get that sorted then worry about fitness and bibs for those long road races or 6 hour rides. :beer:

jtakeda
08-22-2017, 11:36 PM
:beer: I think I only went through about a bakers dozen in the past year. Thanks for making my excessive and impulsive bike buying look a bit tame, but it is a fun and great hobby compared to lots of other things out there. Up until a few weeks ago I had an excessive amount of time and filled it with bike building, buying and riding. I've had the opportunity to own and ride many dream bikes and I am glad I did!

I encourage you to keep going, we're the same size. Heck, make this a contest between you and 39t. :)

Ps. I still ride the Kirk--still my only road bike for now. It has delta brakes on it now and I rode it off road on a dirt path with a bunch of dudes on rivendells over the weekend haha.

Hilltopperny
08-23-2017, 05:09 AM
I encourage you to keep going, we're the same size. Heck, make this a contest between you and 39t. :)

Ps. I still ride the Kirk--still my only road bike for now. It has delta brakes on it now and I rode it off road on a dirt path with a bunch of dudes on rivendells over the weekend haha.

The Kirk was a very nice bike and I'd love to see it in its current iteration. I currently have two Pegorettis, a Vamoots and the Praemio R that is in the classifieds. They are all top shelf rides, but with my new job I have less and less time to ride them. Of course I work right down the road from no22 and am up in the air about picking up a drifter or Ryuns day is done in the classifieds:help:

homagesilkhope
08-23-2017, 08:32 AM
One word came to mind after reading post #1: RITALIN

One picture came to mind as I read post #1: Weisan pal's garage. Not sure which picture I like more, love 'em both!

Bostic
08-23-2017, 10:51 AM
Clean, you remind me of me but with bikes instead of Snare Drums. My collection got up to 10 when I took a step back and reassessed the situation. I certainly didn't need that many for the music I was playing. Of course I miss some of them now that I don't have them anymore. A few have really gone up in value based on what I see on auctions and facebook groups. I've managed to keep it at a chaotic minimum of 3 now.

chiasticon
08-23-2017, 11:26 AM

:beer:hahaha. nailed it! only my wife doesn't disguise it at all and primarily shops online as well. result being we usually have five or more boxes a day on our doorstep. so when I get a new bike goodie every week or so within that pile, half the time she rips it open, thinking it's for her.

anyway, Clean39T, sounds like you're having fun with it. a little too much fun, but no worse for the wear because of it. learning a lot about your fit and bike likes/dislikes, at least. and hopefully you're enjoying riding all the more because of it.

me, I'm happy to be down to what I consider to be five "necessary" bikes: two cross bikes, one MTB, and winter and summer road bikes (i.e. fenders vs fast). I've bought and sold five frames in the past year though. and at one point I was trying to justify owning eight completes and having a few frames hanging. happy to have scaled back. for now...

chiasticon
08-23-2017, 11:30 AM
Clean, you remind me of me but with bikes instead of Snare Drums. My collection got up to 10 when I took a step back and reassessed the situation. I certainly didn't need that many for the music I was playing. Of course I miss some of them now that I don't have them anymore. A few have really gone up in value based on what I see on auctions and facebook groups. I've managed to keep it at a chaotic minimum of 3 now.hah! oh man I was like this at one point. three drum kits and around ten snares and mainly only playing solo (and don't get me started on ride cymbals). trying to justify the difference between (and thus need to own both of) titanium and stainless steel snares, or maple ply versus solid, or jarrah ply versus block, etc... and that's before you get into size differences... now I think I'm down to...five? :eek:

eBAUMANN
08-23-2017, 11:40 AM
Thats an impressive list for a year!

As crazy as it looks all laid out like that, it really is a great way to try out a lot of different geometries/materials/parts to see what you really like best...which will hopefully lead to a custom frame one day that is the best combination of all of those other frames that have come and gone.

My own obsessive buying and selling came directly from a desire for first hand knowledge/experience. It was never enough for me to take someone else's word for something, especially something as personal/subjective as bikes/materials/groups/etc.

If you have the time/money/space for it, by all means keep on buying and selling, cant hurt, the hunt is fun and there are far worse places to stick your money than bikes. That said, it will become a burden eventually...and the true beauty of a bike is found on the road and you can only ride one bike at a time...

pncguy
08-23-2017, 12:00 PM

:beer:

They're supposed to take them back to the store? Mine keeps them and tries five or six on (different ones at different times), usually when we're already late for an engagement!

Kobe
08-23-2017, 02:20 PM
Was the 64cm Holland this one?

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4332/36429367751_904cb84ed4_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/Xv92Rr)2017-08-13 07.04.53 (https://flic.kr/p/Xv92Rr) by Kobe* (https://www.flickr.com/photos/68064054@N02/), on Flickr

If so, I had no idea it was yours. You are so right about Holland's being special and the Joe Bell paint is awesome.

So far 200+ miles on it this summer and it feels like a keeper. Thanks!

Clean39T
08-23-2017, 02:26 PM
Was the 64cm Holland this one?

If so, I had no idea it was yours. You are so right about Holland's being special and the Joe Bell paint is awesome.

So far 200+ miles on it this summer and it feels like a keeper. Thanks!

Congrats! I think his work is second to none. And I'd love a custom from him - either Ti, or the new Carbon Lugged one - but I'd request external cable routing on the TT - one thing I've learned is I really don't like any internal routing. I like my bikes quiet :)

No, it was this one for the buy-it listing: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=203378&highlight=holland+steel

MattTuck
08-23-2017, 02:31 PM
To get that kind of exposure to lots of bikes, it might have been cheaper to just start your own LBS ;)

Kobe
08-23-2017, 02:33 PM
Wow, almost identical except for the paint color. Somehow I missed the one you bought.

Clean39T
08-23-2017, 02:33 PM
To get that kind of exposure to lots of bikes, it might have been cheaper to just start your own LBS ;)

I've been contemplating something similar, but that's another post for another day...

Louis
08-23-2017, 02:40 PM

Or build your own:

http://www.remodelingcalculator.org/wp-content/uploads/Torch-cutting-metal-with-flames-bouncing-off-gas-tanks.jpg

Matthew
08-23-2017, 03:25 PM
Holy smokes that is a crazy list!!! My wife is still giving me crap about getting 6 tires and three chains last month!! Spent a total of $170. Tires were $15 a piece! She would have lost her mind if I had even tried one or two on your list.

CSKeller
08-23-2017, 03:43 PM
Impressive and super crazy Clean!

I just skipped a lot of that and went straight to a custom ti frame built by Rich Gangl back in 2001. http://ganglcustomcycles.com

http://http://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/news/article/nahbs-2013-gangl-custom-cycles-36543/

He had my fit dialed and built it up with Campagnolo Record 10 from 2001.

I've since gotten several Looks and I just picked up another Gangl...lugged steel.

You will be back to Campagnolo. It is definitely great to read about your experiences...and maybe, I'll pick up one of your 58cm frames! :beer:

superbowlpats
08-23-2017, 03:56 PM
Little did I know that buying that Sram Force 22 group from you was aiding your habit :beer:

nobuseri
08-23-2017, 04:24 PM
First of all, props for coming clean in the den of wolves. :beer: The wolves here are a lot nicer than other forums, for sure.

Lot of bikes, but you have managed to move them along as you found whether they would work or not. I am sure you've learned a lot.

That knowledge is king, and I am a bit jealous, really. I do the same on a smaller scale, and I am contemplating what to do with the frames/bikes I would like to sell.

pdmtong
08-23-2017, 07:20 PM
Because I am a stock size 56, this place has a cornucopia of choices to suss out my preferred fit. Plus, i got in shape and stretched and got longer and lower. The only thing I might change on a 200k bike is raising the bars a cm. all else the same 1k or 150k

Once your geo is understood, the next step is to understand the influence of material on the ride - carbon, ti/carbon, ti, stainless steel, steel, aluminum.

I cannot say material choice alone is a sufficient parameter to dictate the result; tube shape, diameter, placement, butting also play a role so impossible to draw a sweeping conclusion. The IF SSR SEC Reynolds 953 stainless I had was harsh; the Pegoretti Columbus XcR stainless i have now is plush.

now add wheels into the consideration. geo, material, wheels. plenty to chew on for next years indulgences.

Clean39T
08-23-2017, 07:37 PM
Because I am a stock size 56, this place has a cornucopia of choices to suss out my preferred fit. Plus, i got in shape and stretched and got longer and lower. The only thing I might change on a 200k bike is raising the bars a cm. all else the same 1k or 150k

Once your geo is understood, the next step is to understand the influence of material on the ride - carbon, ti/carbon, ti, stainless steel, steel, aluminum.

I cannot say material choice alone is a sufficient parameter to dictate the result; tube shape, diameter, placement, butting also play a role so impossible to draw a sweeping conclusion. The IF SSR SEC Reynolds 953 stainless I had was harsh; the Pegoretti Columbus XcR stainless i have now is plush.

now add wheels into the consideration. geo, material, wheels. plenty to chew on for next years indulgences.

I like your style :D :hello:

cpsqlrwn
08-24-2017, 11:52 AM

As I read this, three thoughts come to mind as some time ago I went down this road on a slightly smaller basis with vintage bikes and tons and tons of Campy parts......

1) The key word in all of this is 'probably'

2) Rationalization is a wonderful thing

and

3) Denial is not a river in Egypt

sparky33
08-24-2017, 02:20 PM
The big kicker - I think I'm finally accepting a 36T may be the best for me :no:

Does a Clean36T actually provide easier gears than a Clean39T?

sparky33
08-24-2017, 02:23 PM
I like this thread.

but, sorry for this, what if your preferences or fit change next year? Will you need to buy and sell another 30 bikes to reestablish your bike equilibrium?

It also looks like you need more data points (buying and selling) in the not-road bike side of things to really figure that out.

Clean39T
08-24-2017, 05:22 PM
I like this thread.

but, sorry for this, what if your preferences or fit change next year? Will you need to buy and sell another 30 bikes to reestablish your bike equilibrium?

It also looks like you need more data points (buying and selling) in the not-road bike side of things to really figure that out.

30? Nah. But 5-10 is possible. Depends on what other priorities I have going and whether I go whole-hawg on racing in 2018 (and what type).

RyanH
08-31-2017, 05:08 PM
While I'm not on the same level as you, I have had about a dozen bikes come and go in the past two years so I can appreciate what you're going through to some degree. On the other hand, you really need to get a fit and ride one bike with that fit to figure out what you want. The amount of bikes on your list with "too big" on them is insane. Finding the correct size bike isn't voodoo magic: get stack, reach and STA. Once you have that, you should be good to go.

Also, most of your list is older bikes. You should dabble in the high end. The top of the line frames are so good these days that there is very little that separates them.

Get a fit, then go buy a C60 :beer:

P.S. My personal rule for a bike is that I don't know its character until I've had 500 miles on it and that must include at least one 80-100 mile big mountain day, one day in the Santa Monica Mountains (technical descents), a few days through Griffith Park (my morning route that rivals the Classics in road quality) and a few hard, fast group rides. It's not until the bike has seen all of that that I can usually come to a conclusion about a bike. Try that, I'm guessing that'll slow down your rate a little bit too ;-)

Clean39T
08-31-2017, 05:26 PM
While I'm not on the same level as you, I have had about a dozen bikes come and go in the past two years so I can appreciate what you're going through to some degree. On the other hand, you really need to get a fit and ride one bike with that fit to figure out what you want. The amount of bikes on your list with "too big" on them is insane. Finding the correct size bike isn't voodoo magic: get stack, reach and STA. Once you have that, you should be good to go.

Also, most of your list is older bikes. You should dabble in the high end. The top of the line frames are so good these days that there is very little that separates them.

Get a fit, then go buy a C60 :beer:

P.S. My personal rule for a bike is that I don't know its character until I've had 500 miles on it and that must include at least one 80-100 mile big mountain day, one day in the Santa Monica Mountains (technical descents), a few days through Griffith Park (my morning route that rivals the Classics in road quality) and a few hard, fast group rides. It's not until the bike has seen all of that that I can usually come to a conclusion about a bike. Try that, I'm guessing that'll slow down your rate a little bit too ;-)

Solid advice on all counts. I'm kind of thinking I'll just clear things out down to my Merlin and put some miles on that for a while before making any decisions on what comes next. My experience with this Pegoretti has kind of been the last straw. I'm tired of taking chances on things and having to deal with the aftermath. I need to just build the war-chest and go all-in on one quality thing instead of dirking around with all of these good-deals that aren't quite right...

That said, I'm totally okay with someone impulse buying my Peg, Moots, or Keith Anderson. Just because I'm tired of churning doesn't mean you need to be :bike:

Imaking20
11-03-2017, 09:23 AM

I am dying to know what this list looks like now :fight:

Clean39T
11-03-2017, 11:27 AM
I am dying to know what this list looks like now :fight:

Best laid plans have gone awry..

I think I'm over 40 now. Yikes!

srcarter
11-03-2017, 11:28 AM
I, for one, am pleased to have benefited from your activities.

I am up to 4 bikes at the moment, and am trying to decide if I can get down to 2.

Clean39T
11-03-2017, 11:58 AM
Update as of November 2017...

New ’12 Trek Madone 6.9 SSL (60) – bought NOS, rode 1,500mi, didn’t like the lack of front end stiffness/tracking at time, but wish I’d kept this one New ’14 Kestrel Legend SL (59) – bought online, sent back, didn’t think I liked the look and was going to keep the Madone Used ’14 Cannondale SS EVO HM (58) – frame only, too small due to cut fork New ’14 Cannondale SS EVO HM (58) – complete, bought online, returned, didn’t like the look New ’15 Cannondale CAAD10 Black Inc (60) – bought on super-sale, didn’t like ride, found the Tarmac New ’15 Niner Air 9 RDO (L) – returned, too small Used ’15 Specialized Tarmac Pro (61) – liked it, kinda felt too big, wanted steel Used ’07 Yamaguchi Team USA (59) – loved it, raced it, rode it, felt too big, wanted to rebuild w Campy, stripped it, rebuilt twice trying to get it to fit, admitted it doesn’t, passed on Used ’12 Lynskey R460 (58) – complete, came as a bit of a basket-case, but a good price, tried it, had other projects in mind Used ’04 Merckx MX Leader 25th Anniv (59) – complete, tried it, didn’t like clearance or bar/stem options Used ‘90s Fat Chance (19) – frame only, looked too small, had other projects Used ‘90s Serotta Colorado III (63) – semi-complete, built it, liked the ride, a bit big, didn’t like bar/stem options Used Felt F1 (61) – frame only, wasn’t in described condition, went back to seller Used ‘10s Zanconato Sportif (58.5) – frame only, liked ride, but not bar/stem options, and should have tried with a straight post given 72.5* STA, felt like I was way out the back and only realized that was due to a 25+mm setback after I sold it Used ‘90s Holland Steel (64) – complete, way too big, not sure why I bought it Used ’07 Holland Ti (59) – stripped to rebuild and got confused on measurements, should never have sold, biggest one I regret.. :L Used ’05 Merlin XLM (22) – complete off PinkBike, parts were bunk, PayPal complaint process left a bad taste, sold the frame, donated the parts Used '00s Serotta Legend/?? (57) – complete, bought for the wheels and fork, passed the frame on to a new owner Used ’05 Merlin Extralight (62) – complete, rode great, too big Used ‘00s Serotta Legend Ti (62) – complete, rode amazing, too big Used ’08 Holland Ti (63) – complete, rode amazing, too big New(ish) ’14 Kestrel Legend SL (59) – complete, great price from Amazon Whse, liked it a lot, liked the fit and geometry, wasn’t sure about frame clearance/style or carbon in general, wanted Ti/Steel in same proportions Used ’11 Moots Rigormootis (20) – complete, package deal, got chance to get 29’er instead, sold frameset Used ’11 Moots Vamoots CR (60) [sold] – complete, stripped older DA, rebuilt w DA9100, rides great, fits great, sold when the Peg landed and I thought I was keeping that one Used ’03 Litespeed Ultimate (58) – complete, bought locally, guy needed to sell it and I passed on the deal to the forum folks knowing it was too small for me (most likely – could have made it work) Used ’15 Moots Vamoots (52) – frameset, wife thought it was “too nice”, passed it on to forum member who wanted it initially Used ’93 Keith Anderson (58) [sold] – complete, responded to PSA on eBay listing, probably shouldn’t have, donated most of the parts, too short ST for a level TT frame for me Used ’14 Moots MootoX RSL (20) [sold] – frameset, discussed over a month or two with seller, decided to try it, never built it Used ’06 Merlin Works 6/4Ti (59) [sold] – complete, bought locally, rode great, fit really well, but had clearance issues for aero wheels Used ’15 Pegoretti Marcelo (58) [turned out to be a 60 and too tall up front - now sold to a loving home] Used '15 Salsa Colossal Ti (58) - figured it'd be my wet-weather commuter, wasn't my jam for a few reasons, passed on to a Paceline'r Used Serotta Rapid Tour and Used Pegoretti Duende [sold], bought from Pawn Shops to pass on to Paceliner's, spread the love successfully Used Look KG281 CA - bought off eBay, arrived with irreconcilable issues, returned it to seller Used Time CX Pro Frameset - bought off eBay, seller measured it wrong and it had some other undisclosed issues, returned it to him Used 2017 Bowman Palace:R [current - may sell, may keep] (58) - bought off eBay complete with DA9000, very low miles, fits great, but as good as this aluminum is, it still isn't Ti and would be relegated to being my racer - has been great for confirming sizing/position particulars though and has been fun for training this past few weeks - stiffness feels good in some arenas, not in others - may just sit on my smart trainer most of the winter Used Serotta NHX [current] - (59) - bought from Buck50 here, seems to fit nicely with a 58TT and the -17 stem - planning to ride this as a commuter and wet-weather trainer through the winter Used '16 Orbea Orca OMR M-Team [current - may sell] (57) - bought off CL/PinkBike from CO after checking one out on a business trip in CA and reading good things, handles great, superlight, but I don't dig the Di2 and yet again confirmed even the best carbon still isn't Ti - also confirmed fit parameters Used Davidson Ti [inbound from Temeyone] (58) - should fit the same as the Bowman/Orbea, but hoping for that glorious titanium ride and one more data point before... New Steve Potts Custom [considering] - got the order form printed out, 12 weeks lead time, and I think I have enough to go on now to get a custom done even though the fitter I contacted flaked on me - I want this to be my "do everything other than crits and commute" bike - Gran Fondos, Brevets, etc. and just general enjoyment rides - he checks every custom-builder box for me right down to the logo aesthetic... But it's a big commitment.

And for those saying I should spend less time tinkering and more time riding - according to Strava I'm at 4,550mi for the year - which is pretty dang good for me - should wind out around 5,500mi by the end of the year if I don't spend too much time trail-running as it gets wet/cold/dark in the PNW.

cribbit
11-03-2017, 12:11 PM
That's a lovely list of ti!

I make the excuse that I can buy low, fix up and sell high. Ti is good for that since it's low volume, high margin.

54ny77
11-03-2017, 12:19 PM
30-40 or so bikes in 1 year with a huge delta in frame sizes. Sure, that's perfectly normal.

;) :p

hollowgram5
11-03-2017, 12:20 PM
Didn't you pick up a steel Pacenti made by Goodrich as well?

AngryScientist
11-03-2017, 12:22 PM
Didn't you pick up a steel Pacenti made by Goodrich as well?

haha, busted!

Clean39T
11-03-2017, 12:27 PM
haha, busted!

Yes! Knew I was forgetting one - but I got begged by someone here to sell it to them and was persuaded before I ever got it out of the box...so that goes in the "spread the love" category.

hollowgram5
11-03-2017, 12:28 PM
Yes! Knew I was forgetting one - but I got begged by someone here to sell it to them and was persuaded before I ever got it out of the box...so that goes in the "spread the love" category.I've been waiting to see the build on it, explains why it has yet to make an appearance! [emoji41]

Clean39T
11-03-2017, 12:32 PM
30-40 or so bikes in 1 year with a huge delta in frame sizes. Sure, that's perfectly normal.

;) :p

Normal is boring :banana:

R3awak3n
11-03-2017, 12:54 PM
Yes! Knew I was forgetting one - but I got begged by someone here to sell it to them and was persuaded before I ever got it out of the box...so that goes in the "spread the love" category.

thats cool!

But lets be honest, they didn't need to beg, was gonna get sold sooner or later :fight:

54ny77
11-03-2017, 01:08 PM
do you swap tires or keep biketiresdirect regularly in the black?

;)

Normal is boring :banana:

azrider
11-03-2017, 01:23 PM
Pics ?

Clean39T
11-03-2017, 02:25 PM
Pics ?

Of?? I guess I should go link any photos in the image galleries to the various bikes...see if I have time/energy while lazing post-groupride... :bike:

Clean39T
11-03-2017, 02:36 PM
do you swap tires or keep biketiresdirect regularly in the black?

;)

No, in fact, I haven't had to buy tires in a while since I usually sell wheels without them - my stock of slightly-used tubes and tires is a bit out of control. I'm working on clearing out misc. bars, stems, and other bits too, and then eventually will offer some tire/tube bundles.

azrider
11-03-2017, 02:47 PM
Of?? I guess I should go link any photos in the image galleries to the various bikes...see if I have time/energy while lazing post-groupride... :bike:

Because I dream of having a garage full of 40 bikes and want to live vicariously........:p:p:p

Clean39T
11-03-2017, 03:05 PM
Because I dream of having a garage full of 40 bikes and want to live vicariously........:p:p:p

I've only had a couple at a time - lots of quick sales...

There are others here who are in the double digits tho :)

marciero
11-03-2017, 03:12 PM
No, in fact, I haven't had to buy tires in a while since I usually sell wheels without them - my stock of slightly-used tubes and tires is a bit out of control. I'm working on clearing out misc. bars, stems, and other bits too, and then eventually will offer some tire/tube bundles.

Glad to do my small part to help lighten your load. ; )

Clean39T
11-03-2017, 03:20 PM
Glad to do my small part to help lighten your load. ; )

It's much appreciated - handlebars are a total PITA to package though - but hey, helping others complete their builds is worth it.. :)

rallizes
03-11-2018, 07:43 PM
needs 2018 update!

dpk501
03-11-2018, 10:27 PM
Why not pay for a good fit, find a GURU fit database, plug the numbers in and see what frames work for you? Yikes!

Clean39T
03-12-2018, 12:00 AM
Why not pay for a good fit, find a GURU fit database, plug the numbers in and see what frames work for you? Yikes!

Stumbled my way into it and know what I need now. Update coming manana..

Spaghetti Legs
03-12-2018, 02:55 AM
Wow I don’t feel so bad now. I added about 6 last year. Sold 2 or 3 frames and a few parts, so the parts bin gets more and more full.

CSKeller
03-12-2018, 08:28 AM
Are you going for 50 bikes this year and a nice $50,000 1099 from paypal?
:banana:

I hope you have finally gotten your sizing dialed to with a cm or 2 instead of +/- 15 cm. :help:

And I think you have figured out that all your bikes need Campagnolo...nothing else ever comes close!!

fignon's barber
03-12-2018, 08:51 AM

Clean39,

This original post is screaming for an update.

benb
03-12-2018, 08:57 AM
This is amazing, I missed it the first time around.

I don't think reading this forum does anyone any favors when it comes to turning riders into the "Princess and the Pea". Everyone here is a huge enabler.

I have had major gremlins in my riding for years but have never fallen into thinking it was the bike's fault. I've been more insane about getting fit data because I've had some odd issues and most of the fitters get confused somehow. In 2016-2017 I had 2 very highly regarded fitters recommend saddle heights 2cm different for example.

I would really echo what others have said about finding a really awesome fitter or 5 in your area. For the amount of churn you're going through go get a whole bunch of opinions. Chances are in your area lots of the fitters are bad and maybe you'll get some bad advice but if you went on a mission to try a bunch of them in one year you'll find the one who really knows his/her stuff and they'll help you end this musical chairs of bikes.

I think you might be blaming "feel" issues on the bike(s) when it's actually that you're not really fit correctly on the bike, and you're also riding so many bikes that you're never becoming so used to one bike that you adapt your riding unconsciously to the point you mesh with that bike perfectly. Look at the way most pros have to operate today. They're getting a bike, and they get told to make that bike work and they can't have a different one. And they make it work every time because they have great fitters/coaches/PTs.

I think this is where the forum is a detriment, there are a lot of posts on here about super esoteric items like rims affecting ride quality and grades of steel. If you're churning through frames like crazy you've got major gigantic things to figure out, the fit issues influence how the bike feels/rides 1000x more than most of the stuff that gets discussed here. (Clincher vs Tubular is another example.)

I am actually amazed you've been through this process without injuring yourself.

johnniecakes
03-12-2018, 09:29 AM
I am a total amateur compared to the OP. I may turn 2 or 3 around a year but the core 6 never get swapped out. For me it is another part of the hobby. I understand fit and be dialed in is critical. I just enjoy buying, building, riding, selling and repeating the process. That said I have the 58 Litespeed Ultimate the Clean39T sold, it is not going anywhere.

Clean39T
03-12-2018, 09:38 AM
Okay, here's the update, and a bit of parsing - movement since original thread in blue:

2015-17 Bought and Rode Real Miles (over 250) and Sold [7]:

- New ’12 Trek Madone 6.9 SSL (60)
- Used ’15 Specialized Tarmac Pro (61)
- Used ’07 Yamaguchi Team USA (59)
- New ’14 Kestrel Legend SL (59)
- Used ’11 Moots Vamoots CR (60)
- Used ’06 Merlin Works 6/4Ti (59)
- Used ’15 Pegoretti Marcelo (58)
- Davidson Titanium (58)
- Serotta NHX (58)

2016-17 Bought and Rode Some Test Miles (<100) and Sold [13]:

- New ’15 Cannondale CAAD10 Black Inc (60)
- Used ’04 Merckx MX Leader 25th Anniv (59)
- Used ‘90s Serotta Colorado III (63)
- Used ‘10s Zanconato Sportif (58.5)
- Used ‘00s Serotta Legend Ti (62)
- Used ’08 Holland Ti (63)
- Used ’93 Keith Anderson (58)
- Used '12 Felt F1 (61)
- Used ’12 Lynskey R460 (58)
- Used ’05 Merlin Extralight (62)
- Used Salsa Colossal Ti (59)
- Used Trek Boone Disc (61)
- Used Trek Boone Canti RSL (61)

2016/17 Bought and Returned/Sold [11]:

- Used ’14 Cannondale SS EVO HM (58)
- New ’14 Cannondale SS EVO HM (58)
- New ’15 Niner Air 9 RDO (L)
- Used ‘90s Fat Chance (19)
- Used ‘90s Holland Steel (64)
- Used ’07 Holland Ti (59)
- Used ’05 Merlin XLM (22)
- Used ’11 Moots Rigormootis (20)
- Used ’14 Moots MootoX RSL (20)
- Used '14 SS EVO HM (60)
- Used '17 Trek Procaliber 9.8SL (21.5) -- currently for sale

2017 Bought for Others (ie. PSA'd/Facilitated) [5]:

- Used ’15 Moots Vamoots (52)
- Used '00s Serotta Legend Ti (57)
- Used Pegoretti Duende
- Used Serotta Rapid Tour
- Used ’03 Litespeed Ultimate (58)
- New Pacenti Road

2018 Currently Built and Being Ridden [1]:

- Used Hampsten La Dolce Vita (59)

2018 Unbuild or On-Deck [4]:

- Used Dave Kirk Disc Crosser/Gravel
- NOS Boulder Road Sport
- NOS Zanconato Alum/Scan Racer
- Used '16 Trek Emonda SLR (62) -- likely for sale

2018 Still Searching [1]:

- Ti roadie -- have talked to Holland a bit, but mostly am hoping to get lucky with one of my sold ones coming back or the right one hitting the classifieds here

At this point I'm very comfortable knowing what will/won't fit and work for me. And with knowing what will work for what application. I know what length stem, width of bars, and type of group I like. Pedals too.

Still experimenting with wheels.

Still have more to try out in terms of different materials and brake options, and have another one I'm considering bringing in.

Within the on-deck, two are either/or for selling once built and tested.

Ken Robb
03-12-2018, 09:53 AM
What do you mean when you write "didn't like bars/stems available"?

Clean39T
03-12-2018, 10:04 AM
What do you mean when you write "didn't like bars/stems available"?

At the time I was being princess-and-the-pea about 1" quill stems and 26.0 bars...I've gotten over that now...

Clean39T
03-12-2018, 03:39 PM
Figure I might as well put this here too...

Here’s what I can recall having since I started riding MTBs at age 12 or 13 (so, 1991/2):

1985 Mongoose ATB
1992 Nishiki Pueblo
1993 Giant Cadex ALM1
1994 GT Corrado
1996 Kona Secks Too
1994 GT Zaskar
1993 GT RTS-1
1993 Cannondale R700
1996 Klein Adroit
1992 Trek 2300
1993 Specialized S-Works Steel
1997 Specialized S-Works M2
1992 Yeti FRO
1997 K2/ProFlex 753(?)
1994 Klein Pulse
1995 Ventana El Chiquilo
1994 Trek 970
1993 Mantis Profloater
1995 Diamondback beater
1999 K2 Razorback
1996 Klein Quantum Pro
1997 Redline Cyclocross
1998 CAAD?
1994 S-Works Steel
2000 Bianchi Volpe
1999 Surly Instigator
1996 Klein Adroit
1993 Kona Explosif
1998 Independent Fabrication Deluxe (?)(26er steel)
2002 Cervelo Super Prodigy
2000 Klein Quantum Race
1998 Rock Lobster Team Tig
1994 Trek 950
1990 Trek 720(?)
1999 Dean (steel roadie)
1998 Look (steel roadie)
2004 S-Works E5
2003 Raleigh Grand Prix
2006 Motobecane MTB (touring convert)
2007 CAAD9
1998 Look (same steel roadie)
2005 Voodoo Cyclocross
2008 GT Zaskar LE
2007 Bianchi Volpe
1994 Bianchi (?)
1987 MTB (?)
2009 Cervelo TT
2010 Salsa Fargo
2009 Raleigh One-Way
198? Concorde (?)
2011 Soma Smoothie ES
2010 Jamis Dakota
2013 CAAD10
2013 SE Lager
2014 Foundry Broadaxe
2012 Madone 6.9SSL

And I think that’s where the other infamous list picks up...

And I probably missed a few in there.

So, this isn’t a new disease so much as a rut so deep I don’t know who I’d be without it - and can’t see a good reason to find out [emoji4]

Louis
03-12-2018, 03:43 PM
You must have a very good memory.

pdonk
03-12-2018, 05:30 PM
Too bad the yeti for is gone I assume it would be my size.

I'll be sending you a PM to see about renting or borrowing a bike when I'm in Portland in july. We are close in size even though I have 30lbs on you.

Clean39T
03-12-2018, 05:49 PM
You must have a very good memory.

I've filled in a couple - and am realizing there's a few more I might have missed.

Every one of them has a story...

Clean39T
03-12-2018, 05:50 PM
Too bad the yeti for is gone I assume it would be my size.

I'll be sending you a PM to see about renting or borrowing a bike when I'm in Portland in july. We are close in size even though I have 30lbs on you.

The Yeti met an untimely demise at the hands of UPS unfortunately.. It's now up on the wall at Velo-Cult in Portland, which you should check out when you're here.

I'll do what I can when you visit - just depends on what I've got built up :)

Tickdoc
03-12-2018, 06:26 PM
Man that is one exhausting list. I admire your tenacity, and as the recipient of one of the pass thrus thank you.

So what is the one thing that is missing, if you could distill it down to just one thing?

Clean39T
03-12-2018, 06:31 PM
Man that is one exhausting list. I admire your tenacity, and as the recipient of one of the pass thrus thank you.

So what is the one thing that is missing, if you could distill it down to just one thing?

Custom titanium that’s designed to ride like a Serotta Legend. Regular old road bike. And probably from Holland in SD w a ML fork.

AngryScientist
03-12-2018, 06:39 PM
While I can not claim the experience of riding many of the modern crop of ti bikes; I think a properly fitting Legend Ti is still one of the best bikes out there; I truly love mine and am not sure how it could be improved upon.

pdonk
03-13-2018, 06:43 AM
The Yeti met an untimely demise at the hands of UPS unfortunately.. It's now up on the wall at Velo-Cult in Portland, which you should check out when you're here.

I'll do what I can when you visit - just depends on what I've got built up :)

maybe I should bring my vamoots sl to tempt you into a trade for something (the kirk would be high on my list)

pjmsj21
03-13-2018, 06:55 AM
Custom titanium that’s designed to ride like a Serotta Legend. Regular old road bike. And probably from Holland in SD w a ML fork.

Well having a custom Serotta Ti, along with many others on this forum, I would toss out the notion that get in touch with Kelly Bedford for a custom Ti that rides like a Serotta.

Tickdoc
03-13-2018, 07:14 AM

Erikson, Mosaic, no22, Firefly....so many nice ti makers out there.

I know it's old school, but my mixed material seven odonata is just a damn fine bike....comfy, light, stable, and still relevant(for me, at least)

Have you thought of going mixed?

Clean39T
03-13-2018, 08:30 AM
maybe I should bring my vamoots sl to tempt you into a trade for something (the kirk would be high on my list)

Now you're talkin'! I can at the very least provide a receiving and build/repack service if you want to ship your bike out... But I haven't even built the Kirk yet, or shown any pics, so don't go getting those hopes up just yet ;)

Clean39T
03-13-2018, 08:31 AM
Well having a custom Serotta Ti, along with many others on this forum, I would toss out the notion that get in touch with Kelly Bedford for a custom Ti that rides like a Serotta.

For some reason I've never looked into a Bedford - probably a West Coast v East Coast thing - off to do some googling...

Clean39T
03-13-2018, 08:32 AM
Erikson, Mosaic, no22, Firefly....so many nice ti makers out there.

I know it's old school, but my mixed material seven odonata is just a damn fine bike....comfy, light, stable, and still relevant(for me, at least)

Have you thought of going mixed?

An Ottrot in good condition where I know the tubing and geometry would be tops on my list; but an Odonta or 622 SLX (?) would be right up there too.

Got one in a 59TT and normal proportions for me :bike: ???

Tickdoc
03-13-2018, 09:07 AM

No, but something tells me if one were to pop up anywhere in the continental US you would know (and buy it) before me ;~)

semdoug
03-13-2018, 09:55 AM
An Ottrot in good condition where I know the tubing and geometry would be tops on my list; but an Odonta or 622 SLX (?) would be right up there too.

Would this one work? It has been on eBay for awhile and the price is creeping down slowly.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Awesome-Condition-Serotta-Ottrott-Carbon-Titanium-Road-Bike-59cm-FRAME-FORKONLY/162907071531?hash=item25ee04a42b:g:hRgAAOSwPkJad2p M

Clean39T
03-13-2018, 10:26 AM
Would this one work? It has been on eBay for awhile and the price is creeping down slowly.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Awesome-Condition-Serotta-Ottrott-Carbon-Titanium-Road-Bike-59cm-FRAME-FORKONLY/162907071531?hash=item25ee04a42b:g:hRgAAOSwPkJad2p M

No, TT is too short and HT too long. Given that's how Serotta and Seven made a lot of them over the years, it isn't too easy to find a "standard" version (HT around 18-20cm w/o cups, and TT around 59cm off standard angles).

pdonk
03-13-2018, 01:03 PM
Now you're talkin'! I can at the very least provide a receiving and build/repack service if you want to ship your bike out... But I haven't even built the Kirk yet, or shown any pics, so don't go getting those hopes up just yet ;)

May take you up on that offer but with a speedvagen.

rmk
03-16-2018, 11:56 PM
I am new member here, and I can see how easy it is to be curious about what this bike or that bike rides like and then to add to the collection. So . . . put me in the kudos camp for following through, and trying a bunch of bikes. I find myself wanting to do much the same (albeit with only 2-4 builders).

Ryan--

cadence90
03-17-2018, 12:12 AM
I am new member here, and I can see how easy it is to be curious about what this bike or that bike rides like and then to add to the collection. So . . . put me in the kudos camp for following through, and trying a bunch of bikes. I find myself wanting to do much the same (albeit with only 2-4 builders).

Ryan--

Ah, you are still just a first-post baby here!
Give it some time...that list will absolutely, certainly, definitely, positively, surely grow. It is one of PLF's unwritten but most hallowed rules.

;)

Welcome aboard.

taz-t
03-17-2018, 05:39 PM

Ryan--

We're here to help... what size do you ride? ;)

Clean39T
03-17-2018, 06:38 PM
Ah, you are still just a first-post baby here!
Give it some time...that list will absolutely, certainly, definitely, positively, surely grow. It is one of PLF's unwritten but most hallowed rules.

;)

Welcome aboard.

We're here to help... what size do you ride? ;)

If it's a 55/56 - you need to meet Ryun...and start selling off anything in your house that isn't nailed down...

cadence90
03-17-2018, 07:09 PM
If it's a 55/56 - you need to meet Ryun...and start selling off anything in your house that isn't nailed down...

Dang, Clean, please give young first-post Ryan a break and let him get his feet wet for at least a minute!

I mean, "You need to meet Ryun..." and all that. Come on...sending the lad to the big bad wolf right off the bat. :no: :D

cadence90
03-17-2018, 07:10 PM

Dang, Clean, please give young first-post Ryan a break and let him get his feet wet for a minute.

I mean, "You need to meet Ryun..." and all that. Come on...sending the innocent lad to the big bad wolf right off the bat. :no: :D

Clean39T
03-17-2018, 07:15 PM
Dang, Clean, please give young first-post Ryan a break and let him get his feet wet for a minute.

I mean, "You need to meet Ryun..." and all that. Come on...sending the innocent lad to the big bad wolf right off the bat. :no: :D

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/0f/0ffb2462e2a41462554bf9e054a94032d20c464338be995d98 997dd7039c5227.jpg

cadence90
03-17-2018, 07:21 PM
Good one. :D

Clean39T
05-26-2018, 04:40 PM
I'm due for another update - movement since last update (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=2328605&postcount=95) in blue:

2015-18 Bought and Rode Real Miles (over 250) and Sold [9]:

- Used Davidson Titanium (58)
- Used Serotta NHX (58)
- Used '16 Trek Emonda SLR (62)
- Used '09 Look 585 Ultra (XL/59)

2016-17 Bought and Rode Some Test Miles (<100) and Sold [18]:

- Used '12 Felt F1 (61)

- NOS Zanconato Alum/Scan Racer (61)
- Used '16 De Rosa Protos (61)
- Used '10 Colnago Master (65/60)
- Used Della Santa Road (64) FOR SALE

2016-18 Bought and Returned/Sold w/o Riding[15]:

- Used ’14 Cannondale SS EVO HM (58)
- New ’14 Cannondale SS EVO HM (58)
- New ’15 Niner Air 9 RDO (L)
- Used ‘90s Fat Chance (19)
- Used ‘90s Holland Steel (64)
- Used ’07 Holland Ti (59)
- Used ’05 Merlin XLM (22)
- Used ’11 Moots Rigormootis (20)
- Used '08 Time Cross (XL)
- Used ’14 Moots MootoX RSL (20)
- Used '14 SS EVO HM (60)
- Used '17 Trek Procaliber 9.8SL (21.5)
- Used Method Fillet [rusted] (58)
- NOS Boulder Road Sport (62)
- Used Steve Rex Fillet [tandem hub spacing, gouged] (59)
- Used Colnago EPS [not condition advertised] (56S)

2017-18 Bought for Others (ie. PSA'd/Facilitated) [5]:

- Used ’15 Moots Vamoots (52)
- Used '00s Serotta Legend Ti (57)
- Used Pegoretti Duende (55)
- Used Serotta Rapid Tour (54)
- Used ’03 Litespeed Ultimate (58)
- New Pacenti Road (58)

2018 Currently Built and Being Ridden [2]:

- Used Dave Kirk Disc Crosser/Gravel
- Used Ellis Cycles Road

2018 Unbuilt or On-Deck [4]:

- Used Serotta Legend Ti (62)
- Used Moots Vamoots RSL (60)

2018 Still Searching [0]:

- Don't need/want anything else right now

Lessons?

I think the Ellis is the best road bike I've ever ridden. The reach feels perfect (62.5-63cm from saddle nose to bar center); I love the lower BB height; the fork is amazing. I'm curious what it'd be like to ride the same geometry but with 5-6lbs less heft though.. Maybe I'll throw some light wheels and a lighter group on there at some point. I think I could build it sub-16lbs if being careful. It's so pretty with the Campy alloy stuff though - messing with that would be tough...

Riding something on the small, light side and racey is fun, and I would have kept the Look 585 Ultra if it was just a tad bigger. I'm hoping the RSL will replicate that while being just that little bit better fit. I've long wanted to try one of those and talking my brother into time-sharing it is letting that happen without me feeling like I'm hoarding ;)

Getting the Serotta Legend Ti back that I sold last year is going to be a hoot as well. I've already picked up a Serotta F3 fork for it. And I'm thinking about trying to find someone to do etched/blasted logos for it. I'm hoping that one becomes an anchor in my garage, alongside the Kirk and Ellis, as a golden-mean fast road bike - comfortable geo, fast ride, reasonably light, durable, and pretty - something I can do Fondo's on w/o giving up too much to folks on the latest carbon wunderbikahs.

Still waffling on my affinity for tubulars. They ride great, but so do Vittorias w latex tubes. I have some Reynolds Strike 62mm carbon clinchers coming that I plan to use with the RSL and set up tubeless. And a pair of CK/C2 bling handbuilts for the Legend that should ride awesome with 25c Vittorias...

Stay tuned!

Burnette
05-26-2018, 04:52 PM
I knew of your bike buying fun only through your posts in the classifieds, some general threads and by some members picking with you but wow, I had no ide that you have been through that many bikes!

And, I bet it was fun. There are some real nice ones on that list. If variety is the spice of life, well you have the whole shelf!

nobuseri
05-26-2018, 04:54 PM
Sweet. You have earned your stripes. :)

A lot of frame rotating, but a lot of info gathered also. I am a bit jealous. :beer:

CSKeller
05-26-2018, 06:08 PM
Wow! Pretty awesome! Glad you have the means to play with the the so many bikes.

How do you find time to work, tear down, build and build up so many bikes and still have time to ride them??

I think Paceline needs an upgrade for you. So you can have a real time scrolling ticket like the stock market that shows just what bikes you have at any given moment. [emoji2]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

hollowgram5
05-26-2018, 06:20 PM
Wow! Pretty awesome! Glad you have the means to play with the the so many bikes.

How do you find time to work, tear down, build and build up so many bikes and still have time to ride them??

I think Paceline needs an upgrade for you. So you can have a real time scrolling ticket like the stock market that shows just what bikes you have at any given moment. [emoji2]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TapatalkWell, if you go through the web instead of taptalk you'll notice his signature. It typically details what he's got running at ant given time!

cadence90
05-26-2018, 09:10 PM
I'm due for another update - movement since last update (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=2328605&postcount=95) in blue:
Nice update.

2018 Still Searching [0]:
- Don't need/want anything else right now.

Stay tuned!

We aren't fooled for even ONE minute.
You know damn well that you'll be back with more...

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SameNecessaryGoat-size_restricted.gif

...and that we'll be waiting!

:D

Andy sti
05-26-2018, 09:23 PM
You think a 56s colnago will fit? Seems small for you - but perfect for me! :)

Clean39T
05-27-2018, 12:17 AM

I put in more miles last year than I ever have, and am on pace to go further this year. Usually in the 100-165+ mpw, ramping up more now that the sun is out in the PNW.

I don't have any kids, and this is really my only hobby - other than cooking and chilling with my cat n' wife..

I thoroughly enjoy the building and tear down and tweaking and everything that goes into it. And the researching and conversing and all that too.

I also enjoy helping parts and frames find good homes with folks who are less willy-nilly with their bike lifestyle - rescuing stuff, restoring it, passing it along - all part of the hobby for me.

The only part I haven't enjoyed is the deceptive and/or reckless eBay BS that has wasted a decent amount of time. I've had to return half a dozen bikes/frames for one reason or another - and none of them because I just "changed my mind".

We aren't fooled for even ONE minute.
You know damn well that you'll be back with more...

Didn't say I'm done - just said I can't think of anything else I need or want right now.

I'm curious what a disc, aero road bike would ride like - but not in a hurry to find out.

And I do still want a MTB someday.

Suppose I'll buy that Ellis single-speed if it gets offered up again...

You think a 56s colnago will fit? Seems small for you - but perfect for me! :)

I think so. 56S = 60cm. 58cm TT and moderate HT. If I was almost right there on the Look 585 XL, I think the 56S will work. I've been wrong before though. Could happen again.

cadence90
05-27-2018, 12:36 AM
Didn't say I'm done - just said I can't think of anything else I need or want right now.

I'm curious what a disc, aero road bike would ride like - but not in a hurry to find out.

And I do still want a MTB someday.

Suppose I'll buy that Ellis single-speed if it gets offered up again...
I'm curious...why disc and aero?

Maybe I'm just not following "things" closely enough to be really intrigued, but I can't think of a combo that might actually interest me less. I guess I really don't care about either, disc on a road bicycle, and aero period. Especially the aero thing.

Wow, I guess I'm getting old....

MTB otoh, definitely yes.

Clean39T
05-27-2018, 01:33 AM

Maybe I'm just not following "things" closely enough to be really intrigued, but I can't think of a combo that might actually interest me less. I guess I really don't care about either, disc on a road bicycle, and aero period. Especially the aero thing.

https://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/product/scott-foil-premium-disc-bike?article=265330

Seems like it'd be fun to take around the block (headwind)...

----------------------

10/18/18 UPDATE --

Been five months almost, so we're due for another update and look at all the fun stuff that's passed through the garage..

2015-18 Bought and Rode Real Miles (over 250) and Sold [9]:

- Used Davidson Titanium (58)
- Used Serotta NHX (58)
- Used '16 Trek Emonda SLR (62)
- Used '09 Look 585 Ultra (XL/59)
- Used Ellis OS Road (60L)
- Used Ellis Strada (62)

2016-18 Bought and Rode Some Test Miles (<100) and Sold [18]:

- Used '12 Felt F1 (61)
- NOS Zanconato Alum/Scan Racer (61)
- Used '16 De Rosa Protos (61)
- Used '10 Colnago Master (65/60)
- Used Della Santa Road (64)
- Used Moots Vamoots RSL (60)
- Used Spectrum Ti S&S Coupled (60)
- Used Richard Sachs (59)

2018 Currently Built and Being Ridden [2]:

- Used Dave Kirk Disc Crosser/Gravel (61)
- Used (but pretty much new) Boulder Road Sport (62)

2018 Unbuilt or On-Deck [3]:

- Used Dave Kirk 29er (XL) [just need to bleed the brakes]
- New Alliance Spirit Road (59) [inbound ready-custom from Erik]
- Used Calfee Tetra Pro (60) [inbound eBay BIN flyer]
- Kirk MRB (62) [gets painted next week or so]
- Rock Lobster [still need to decide what I'd like Paul S. to build me...]

Michael Maddox
05-27-2018, 12:59 PM

Because disc brakes are awesome, and aero bikes are awesome. I'm about to be 49, I'm training seriously, and I find my new Wilier Cento10Air disc to be one of the most compelling arguments for both. It's comfortable, interesting (a big selling point for me), and hey...free watts. Do I need it? No. Is it a better bike than I am a rider? Absolutely. But it feels great, and I love that I'm not relying on a pair of carbon rims for braking power.

I was firmly in the rim brake camp before, too. Then, I tried it. Yeah...it's that good.

rallizes
08-07-2019, 04:46 PM
This needs an update!

Clean39T
08-07-2019, 05:08 PM
This needs an update!Ain't no buddy got time for that!

rallizes
01-01-2021, 09:09 PM
Ain't no buddy got time for that!

oh come now you must!

Clean39T
01-01-2021, 10:19 PM
oh come now you must!

Oh man, digging back through this year would be a little rough, but sure, why not.. in another thread. It's become a yearly tradition at this point.

I do find it funny that on page one of this thread my last bullet read:

New Custom [maybe] - Thinking about a custom neo-rando road bike…like for the Race Across Oregon…bad roads, but still roads, all day/night riding…deposit in the Fall, delivery in the Winter.

And that's pretty much exactly where I'm sitting right now. Except thinking about deposit in Winter, delivery Late-Spring.