PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Small Campy Washer

cgolvin
08-22-2017, 04:33 PM
In a close encounter of the pavement kind I managed to break the clamp that holds a Nuovo Record brake lever on the bars — here's the casualty:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/picture.php?albumid=72&pictureid=246

I found a replacement clamp (thanks, JB) but when I went to install it I dropped the friggin' washer (at the bottom of the picture, sitting above the nut) and can't find it.

Someone out there must have one of these in their parts bin…anyone? Bueller?

thanks for checking

zmudshark
08-22-2017, 05:54 PM
A flashlight held along the floor and a sweep of the area with a magnet is in order.

Those always get lost, and I've never found a replacement source.

Good luck with the hunt.

jvp
08-22-2017, 06:41 PM
Catalog #17 doesn't show a washer there, just the nut...odd.

zmudshark
08-22-2017, 07:25 PM
There's definitely a small serrated washer in there. I have a set disassembled on the workbench right now.

cgolvin
08-29-2017, 02:53 PM
FWIW to all others who may have suffered the same fate as I.

None of my local hardware stores had washers to fit the bill, so I turned to McMaster-Carr (https://www.mcmaster.com/) which has a diverse selection.

The good news: I found a washer with the correct inner and outer diameters, and just confirmed by initial installation that it fits.

The possibly not-so-good news: It's a flat washer that is supposed to compress somewhat, but it is not knurled or wavy or serrated so I can't yet confirm that it will hold over the long term.

The potentially good news: The smallest order size is 50, so I am now the proud owner of 49 more of these babies. If anyone out there needs one and is willing to take the risk of forgoing serration etc., I'm happy to send a few to you for nominal cost + shipping, just PM me.

muz
08-29-2017, 04:40 PM
This discussion came up recently on i-bob. I believe what you are looking for is a Belleville washer:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#90895A027

cgolvin
08-29-2017, 05:32 PM
Thanks, was that discussion specifically for this application (old Nuovo Record brake handle clamp)?

The inner and outer diameters of the specific product you linked are, respectively, greater and lesser than the metal sealing washers I bought, but they may very well work.

muz
08-29-2017, 07:13 PM
Thanks, was that discussion specifically for this application (old Nuovo Record brake handle clamp)?

Yes, while these washers have been used in many applications, Campagnolo has only used them for brake lever clamp bolts.

cgolvin
08-29-2017, 07:51 PM
Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Are you saying that others on that i-bob (?) thread reported successful use of the specific linked McMaster product for securing Nuovo Record brake handles?

As I said, I successfully installed my brake handle today with a flat washer but have no idea if it will eventually fail to hold its tension. I'm inclined to give it a chance rather than buy another 50 washers…

thanks

cmbicycles
08-29-2017, 10:03 PM
Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Are you saying that others on that i-bob (?) thread reported successful use of the specific linked McMaster product for securing Nuovo Record brake handles?

As I said, I successfully installed my brake handle today with a flat washer but have no idea if it will eventually fail to hold its tension. I'm inclined to give it a chance rather than buy another 50 washers…

thanks
You only have to buy 25 if you go with the other washers ;)

otis
08-29-2017, 11:31 PM
I'd guess maybe 25% of all the 70's Record lever equipped bikes out there still have those washers in place :)

My take, is they are nice to have and I always use them if I have them. But the levers are going to stay in place fine without as well.

Tommy Mac
08-30-2017, 09:30 AM
Agree, and you can put some thread lock (loc-tite) on if you're concerned about loosening.

I'd guess maybe 25% of all the 70's Record lever equipped bikes out there still have those washers in place :)

My take, is they are nice to have and I always use them if I have them. But the levers are going to stay in place fine without as well.

cgolvin
08-31-2017, 12:06 PM

Likely true. But considering that I now have an abundance of them sitting here, Paceliners among the other 75% should feel free to reach out in order to get just that tiny bit closer to spec :D.