PDA

View Full Version : Surprise!

akelman
08-22-2017, 12:56 PM
I love this so much: https://www.speedvagen.com/surprise-me.

buddybikes
08-22-2017, 12:59 PM
Cute - but trendy - tiring over time.

PQJ
08-22-2017, 01:10 PM
They do great work but, to me, that paint scheme just doesn't work. Maybe on a beach or town cruiser, but not road bike.

R3awak3n
08-22-2017, 01:16 PM
I would never want to have it, but I don't mind it. That enve stem though :no:

also, if I was going to go poka dots, only this would do

http://pete.langezone.com/pics/respo-cv/peg-1920.jpg

DavidC
08-22-2017, 01:17 PM
A friend got a surprise paint scheme from them a number of years ago. After waiting a long time for a custom bike, it finally came...and was hideous. Not one person out of a hundred thought it looked good. Maybe I can dig up a photo.... It is such a huge gamble not only to have a stranger pick your color, but to have them pick a color that is meant to be unique! Either you care a lot about the aesthetics of your bike—in which case pick the color you want!—or you don't, so save your money and get a simple color scheme.

Can you tell that I'm not a fan? ;)

velotrack
08-22-2017, 01:25 PM
A friend got a surprise paint scheme from them a number of years ago. After waiting a long time for a custom bike, it finally came...and was hideous. Not one person out of a hundred thought it looked good. Maybe I can dig up a photo.... It is such a huge gamble not only to have a stranger pick your color, but to have them pick a color that is meant to be unique! Either you care a lot about the aesthetics of your bike—in which case pick the color you want!—or you don't, so save your money and get a simple color scheme.

Can you tell that I'm not a fan? ;)

they're usually pretty good, aside from that pink/white/green a while ago.

DavidC
08-22-2017, 01:27 PM

It is definitely possible he was just unlucky! I've never seen any others.

Nooch
08-22-2017, 01:30 PM

See, I really dug the klein scheme

vqdriver
08-22-2017, 01:33 PM
i'm usually on board with their surprise me designs. i think they look nice and certainly very custom. having said that, i would not have enjoyed owning that 'rad' klein scheme. these dots are kinda cool

MattTuck
08-22-2017, 01:35 PM
I dig the dots.

chiasticon
08-22-2017, 01:41 PM
it's OK, I guess. not really my thing. I'd get sick of it pretty quickly. and I think my wife would make fun of me and say "polka dots are for girls" because that's what she's said when I've shown her other polka dotted bike things. it's way better than some of their previous ones have been though. somewhat more subdued, at least.

I'm still a fan of the gold team cx bike though. and I don't really like gold.

https://www.cxmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/11-02-14-Speedvagen-1.jpg

ORMojo
08-22-2017, 01:41 PM
For me, my first impression is that this one depends on which color scheme the polka dots are executed in. It seems that every 2017 Polka Dot Surprise Me frame will be different, making each truly unique.

For example, the first one below doesn't appeal to me, while the second one does.
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5946c22886e6c05d951c812a/t/59975d52a803bbb4627fe9a1/1503092152662/SV17_SM_27.jpg?format=2500w
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5946c22886e6c05d951c812a/59973383c534a518ccafe1be/59975dd2914e6b453eba3621/1503092234144/SV17_SM_2_14.jpg?format=2500w

earlfoss
08-22-2017, 02:05 PM
That's a sharp paint job, just not for me is all.

This however.... drool...
https://i.imgur.com/bOJwtdp.jpg

m4rk540
08-22-2017, 03:30 PM
For me, my first impression is that this one depends on which color scheme the polka dots are executed in. It seems that every 2017 Polka Dot Surprise Me frame will be different, making each truly unique.

For example, the first one below doesn't appeal to me, while the second one does.

The 2nd is balanced. The giant derailleurs on the first distract from the frame's painterly elements.

ORMojo
08-22-2017, 03:37 PM
The 2nd is balanced. The giant derailleurs on the first distract from the frame's painterly elements.

Good observation! Funny thing is, I have just become a convert to eTap, having spent the past ~10 days riding the heck out of my new frameset with my first eTap build.

pdonk
08-22-2017, 03:49 PM
I like last year's better where the dots are used as an accent vs being the focal point. Maybe it's a good thing the dollar is crap so I'm not tempted.

pdmtong
08-22-2017, 05:04 PM
I think this year absolutely confirms for me that I am not a SM candidate

Of the eleven years they have been doing this, two haven't been for me (last years polka dot accent in the colors spec'd for SM and 2015's japan), and three I would have absolutely not liked (this years dots, the klein, the industrial). so that's a ~50% fail for me.

of course the definition of surprise me is to get a surprise. so, there is that.

Fishbike
08-22-2017, 05:17 PM
I came close to ordering the Surprise Me this year but couldn't bring myself to do it. But I did order one of the 2017 Team cross bikes which I like very much and which is very consistent with what I consider the Speedvagen design language. I am glad I went with a known design that is consistent with MY idea of what a Speedvagen should look like. I find it hard believe to people that folks will love the chicken pox theme, but to each her/his own. I hope that folks that receive it are happy, because I do dig the "SM" concept, even if I was unwilling to take the plunge.

choke
08-22-2017, 05:53 PM
See, I really dug the klein schemeIt's interesting how many people dislike that paint. I'm with you, in fact it's the only multi-color Speedvagen scheme I've ever seen that I like.

pdmtong
08-22-2017, 06:42 PM
That's a sharp paint job, just not for me is all. This however.... drool...

what you copied is perhaps the winner over every ciavete every created.

ciavete = surprise me

Goze (the "dots" are XcR reveal) >> SM 2017

I know a guy who was meh on his long awaited ciavete. it can happen even from Round himself.

crankles
08-23-2017, 04:49 PM
I like it. A LOT. I would SO TOTALLY ride the 2017, but then again, I had a bike painted back in 1985 that was green with pink polka dots. Full disclosure: I was voted most preppy in High School in the early 80s. Thank god none of the photos of my "multiple polo shirts" days have survived. I'm a Surprise Me Fan. In the past 10 years, I'd have sold one, considered two kinda "Meh", but would have been happy to ride the rest.

pdmtong
08-23-2017, 05:13 PM
I like it. A LOT. I would SO TOTALLY ride the 2017, but then again, I had a bike painted back in 1985 that was green with pink polka dots. Full disclosure: I was voted most preppy in High School in the early 80s. Thank god none of the photos of my "multiple polo shirts" days have survived. I'm a Surprise Me Fan. In the past 10 years, I'd have sold one, considered two kinda "Meh", but would have been happy to ride the rest.

easy to say when one is rocking the SS CX Evil Knievel. Only the gold one may surpass it for SM CX...

andeww
08-23-2017, 05:20 PM
WOW voted most preppy in HS? thats amazing hahah

pncguy
08-23-2017, 05:24 PM
I was voted most preppy in High School in the early 80s. Thank god none of the photos of my "multiple polo shirts" days have survived.

I STILL see people wearing their polo shirts with the collar turned up. Do those people think this looks cool? I, for one, IMHO, do not.

Edit: Okay Wikipedia to the rescue. Doesn't matter whether it is cool or not (Okay I still think it looks stupid, but...) it was designed that way: "Lacoste's design called for a thick piqué collar that one would wear turned up in order to block the sun from one's neck. Thus, the tennis shirt's upturned collar was originally designed by the inventor of the tennis shirt, himself, for ease and comfort on the tennis court, aiding the player by helping to prevent sunburn."

:eek:

Wait, what were we talking about?

crankles
08-23-2017, 05:55 PM
WOW voted most preppy in HS? thats amazing hahah

On the list of "not proudest moments", it's right up there with the perm my sisters convinced me to get.

pdmtong
08-23-2017, 06:15 PM
On the list of "not proudest moments", it's right up there with the perm my sisters convinced me to get.
sadly, I had one too.
there, I said it.

As for the SM...the deposits are in right? you can't order one of these NOW can you? A bit confused since a few years ago they re-opened the opty to order japan SM...after it had supposedly been closed. or, do I have that wrong?

crankles
08-23-2017, 06:18 PM
sadly, I had one too.
there, I said it.

As for the SM...the deposits are in right? you can't order one of these NOW can you? A bit confused since a few years ago they re-opened the opty to order japan SM...after it had supposedly been closed. or, do I have that wrong?

Pretty sure it's closed. But they've been know to bend those rules on occasion.

54ny77
08-23-2017, 06:29 PM
damn, that bike is stunning. Would you say the drivetrain is Srampagnolo? Or Campagnosram? :beer:

That's a sharp paint job, just not for me is all.

This however.... drool...

pdmtong
08-23-2017, 06:41 PM
damn, that bike is stunning. Would you say the drivetrain is Srampagnolo? Or Campagnosram? :beer:

I'd say the drive train is optimized....clear preference amongst the high end shops for campag crank/chain/cassette with eTAP

54ny77
08-23-2017, 06:43 PM
So what you're saying is that the less SRAM product in a SRAM group, the better it works?

:D

I'd say the drive train is optimized....clear preference amongst the high end shops for campag crank/chain/cassette with eTAP

whateveronfire
08-23-2017, 07:04 PM
I love the polka dots so much that I almost wrote and begged them to sell me one. Anyone who got a 54 and decides that they can't deal, pm me.

pdmtong
08-23-2017, 07:09 PM
I think this year absolutely confirms for me that I am not a SM candidate

Of the eleven years they have been doing this, two haven't been for me (last years polka dot accent in the colors spec'd for SM and 2015's japan), and three I would have absolutely not liked (this years dots, the klein, the industrial). so that's a ~50% fail for me.

of course the definition of surprise me is to get a surprise. so, there is that.

I guess I should add that me not liking tje 2017 SM is NOT the same as me saying I think it sucks. I can definitely see how any of the SM schemes would make someone happy this one included, except the klein homage. for some reason that one was no where near as impactful as the original

Fishbike
08-23-2017, 07:49 PM
I love the polka dots so much that I almost wrote and begged them to sell me one. Anyone who got a 54 and decides that they can't deal, pm me.

I believe the website says you can order this scheme through the end of the year. If you love it, go for it!