PDA

View Full Version : Now I know why they were so cheap...(Campy Content)

Lewis Moon
08-22-2017, 09:03 AM
Threw on a brand new set of Campy CX-11 carbon cranks last night, power torque and all, then remembered that I didn't grease the flutes on the axle. Probably enough grease there from the factory but I'm still bummed. Not looking forward to having to buy $90 in tools to get it off. Any other alternatives? Can I buy the adapter set from park and use another gear puller?

oldpotatoe
08-22-2017, 09:14 AM
Threw on a brand new set of Campy CX-11 carbon cranks last night, power torque and all, then remembered that I didn't grease the flutes on the axle. Probably enough grease there from the factory but I'm still bummed. Not looking forward to having to buy $90 in tools to get it off. Any other alternatives? Can I buy the adapter set from park and use another gear puller?

Park or a gear puller..use some leather under the arms to not mar the crank..rememeber to take the crank bolt washer out. This PowerTorque removal gig is not the black art 'some'(not you) describe it as..

Lewis Moon
08-22-2017, 09:28 AM
Park or a gear puller..use some leather under the arms to not mar the crank..rememeber to take the crank bolt washer out. This PowerTorque removal gig is not the black art 'some'(not you) describe it as..

Probably need locking arms like the Park, or at least some way to make sure they don't slip off.

sokyroadie
08-22-2017, 05:00 PM
I have done it several times with a cheap Harbor Freight 3 jaw puller and a correct size socket for the puller end to set in. I use a cordless impact with one hand and hold the puller with the other. Never had an issue or scratched anything. EASY PEASEY

Jeff

Lewis Moon
08-22-2017, 09:00 PM
I have done it several times with a cheap Harbor Freight 3 jaw puller and a correct size socket for the puller end to set in. I use a cordless impact with one hand and hold the puller with the other. Never had an issue or scratched anything. EASY PEASEY

Jeff

On carbon cranks?

ultraman6970
08-22-2017, 11:26 PM
Check this out...

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=862991&postcount=23

sokyroadie
08-23-2017, 04:14 AM
On carbon cranks?

Yep, the key is to hold the puller arms tight, the impact means you have a free hand.

Jeff