PDA

View Full Version : Fair value for a gunnar crosshairs?

Tpayne
08-21-2017, 11:55 AM
I'm thinking of buying one for $675. Haven't seen the bike in person but frame/paint looks to be in good condition and probably no more than 10 years old.

Has a mix of old ultegra parts and mediocre wheels so will need some upgrading down the line.

If anyone has thoughts, let me know.

Bentley
08-21-2017, 12:04 PM
I really cant give an honest opinion without pics, but I bought an IF PlanetX used for less.

Ray

Tpayne
08-21-2017, 12:22 PM
crosshairs

Bentley
08-21-2017, 12:38 PM
So its definitely a nice bike, but you said you were going to replace all the components and wheels, so honestly I cant see paying that for the bike. What is the condition of the components, look like 9 speed shimano so I would guess you could get $150 for the group, maybe $75-100 for the wheels, so that would get the frame down to $450ish, which to me would still be on the high side. I think you could find something as good if not better here on the forum.

I would probably offer $550 and ride the crap out of it, then switch the components out.

Ray

cmg
08-21-2017, 12:54 PM
if the paint in good shape, pay the $675 and get bike. EBay the parts you don't want and cobble away. especially if it looks likes the one on this thread.

Tpayne
08-21-2017, 01:31 PM
eventually I could upgrade my Legend Ti parts and swap those onto this bike.

attaching another pic, it's the only one where I can see some possible blemishes in paint around the chain stays. I'll have to really judge it in person.

Gummee
08-21-2017, 01:52 PM
Gunnars had soft paint.

Mine's in better shape overall, but still has a few spots.

Mine's also built with 6800, hence the price bump.

M

weiwentg
08-21-2017, 05:15 PM
Consider asking for the serial number, then call Gunnar direct and ask if the geometry or specifications has changed. They may not correspond exactly to the current posted specs. Any changes should be minor, but there's a possibility that frame may not have stainless steel dropouts - which, again, may be minor to you. But worth knowing. Anyway, Gunnar was very responsive when I asked them for info on a used frame.

Can't really comment on fair value. I agree your net cost for the frameset, if not keeping the wheels or components, is something like $500. I guess I'd ask, do I know I want that frame for sure, and if so, is that price worth it? I don't think you're likely to see a lot of used 52cm Gunnar Crosshairs frames for sale, so if it has to be a Crosshairs and if you need it this season, then if the frame's in good condition, I don't think $500 is exorbitant. If you can fit another frame and you'd consider another frame, then you should think about that.

My proportions are a bit strange, and I actually fit Gunnars really well. The Specialized Crux is a bit short in the TT for me, but could work. It was one of those two when I was shopping. I found a line on a Crosshairs and went for it.

Ken Robb
08-21-2017, 05:24 PM
I have yet to meet a Gunnar or other Waterford bike I didn't like. Gunnars have been offered with the option of upgrading paint to the same nice quality of regular Waterfords. I'll guess they are pretty rarely on the used market.

msl819
08-21-2017, 05:27 PM
It may not be a big deal to you but that have a 1" headtube. That would be good to know and if 1" I'd negotiate that to my favor.

hummus_aquinas
08-21-2017, 05:29 PM
That paint-matched stem is cool! 1" steerers still rule.

msl819
08-21-2017, 05:51 PM
That paint-matched stem is cool! 1" steerers still rule.

Yep... but could limit some possibilities down the road. I had one similar sized with a 1" steerer. Still the bike I most regret selling.

weiwentg
08-21-2017, 06:05 PM
Yep... but could limit some possibilities down the road. I had one similar sized with a 1" steerer. Still the bike I most regret selling.

Well, in addition to that, there is the fact that that bike is set up for cantilever mounts. That restricts your braking choices, unless you replace the fork for one with disc mounts (I imagine that would have to be custom steel if it's a 1" steerer?). Is that substantively bad? Only you can decide!

Gummee
08-21-2017, 06:21 PM
Well, in addition to that, there is the fact that that bike is set up for cantilever mounts. That restricts your braking choices, unless you replace the fork for one with disc mounts (I imagine that would have to be custom steel if it's a 1" steerer?). Is that substantively bad? Only you can decide!

I've got 8.4 TRPs on mine. Stops just fine thankyouverymuch

M

mistermo
08-21-2017, 06:35 PM
Apparently there's a 1" steerer Alpha Q carbon fork on that Steelman in the classifieds. I'd make a strong run at that. I've got a steel Steelman fork that would be better suited for that frame anyway.

Tpayne
08-21-2017, 07:09 PM
This would have the original geometry and 1" steerer. 2002 was the first year they used stainless drops according to this: http://gunnarbikes.com/site/support/gunnar-history/

I don't think I posted the original listing but its here: https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/bik/6272918954.html

I negotiated down to $675 with a few extra throw ins but still haven't made it by to check out the bike.

I'm also just debating getting a new frame/bike. Through my work, I can get up to 50% subsidy on bikes/parts ($500 max, so can spend up to a $1000). Generally looking for a good steel commuter that I can put fenders and rack on.

Ken Robb
08-21-2017, 07:42 PM
So, with XTR rear derailer it can handle up to 34 tooth cogs, right?

jtbadge
08-21-2017, 09:08 PM
If it fits, buy it. Don't worry about a carbon fork or discs.

Compact crank or bigger cassette if you need it - but the shift group will be great.

Paint matched stem is sweet.

mrk_d
08-21-2017, 09:21 PM
That's a sweet deal on a cool bike. I don't need it but if I lived locally I'd probably buy it just because you're not likely to stumble across another one for that price (especially with the painted-to-match stem).

weiwentg
08-21-2017, 09:47 PM
This would have the original geometry and 1" steerer. 2002 was the first year they used stainless drops according to this: http://gunnarbikes.com/site/support/gunnar-history/

I don't think I posted the original listing but its here: https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/bik/6272918954.html

I negotiated down to $675 with a few extra throw ins but still haven't made it by to check out the bike.

I'm also just debating getting a new frame/bike. Through my work, I can get up to 50% subsidy on bikes/parts ($500 max, so can spend up to a $1000). Generally looking for a good steel commuter that I can put fenders and rack on.

Looks like I was WAY off about stainless drops. I thought they were a mid 2000s change.

For commuting, a CXhairs is plenty capable IMO. It's got the right braze ons and the right handling. It will not really slow you down in a race, if you should decide to do one, unless it's a pretty technical one and you're a skilled rider. If you're content with cantis or mini-Vs, then IMO a 1" steerer is no limitation. However, on mine, the rack stay interfered with the rear mini V cable. Check if this is a limitation for you.

Tpayne
08-23-2017, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I checked out the gunnar last night and it was a bit more scuffed than I thought. The matching stem unfortunately had some rust (and was a bit too long) so that would have to go.

As weiwentg mentoned, it looked like the rear mini v would interrupt with a rack so that would also need to be fixed.

It was definitely a fun bike to ride. I may check it out again this weekend if still available and see if I can get the price down closer to $600. I also need to look at it in daylight, was hard to judge the frame quality at dusk ...

weiwentg
08-23-2017, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I checked out the gunnar last night and it was a bit more scuffed than I thought. The matching stem unfortunately had some rust (and was a bit too long) so that would have to go.

As weiwentg mentoned, it looked like the rear mini v would interrupt with a rack so that would also need to be fixed.

It was definitely a fun bike to ride. I may check it out again this weekend if still available and see if I can get the price down closer to $600. I also need to look at it in daylight, was hard to judge the frame quality at dusk ...

About those scuffs, I got a quote from a Minneapolis powder coater who said he could do powder coats plus decals starting at $165 for single colors. One need not spend $400 for a fresh wet paint job at Gunnar. I know you're in DC, but there may be similarly low-cost powder coaters available close to you.

For the rear mini V, I only ran mini Vs because my stem interferes with the cable routing. Common problem on small frames, I believe. I could easily switch back to a rear cantilever brake, and that would eliminate the interference with the rack stays. That said, your use probably will differ from mine.

chrisroph
08-23-2017, 10:18 AM
I had a crosshairs with a gunnar unicrown steel fork. It was a good bike that I used in the winter with fenders for a few seasons before racing some cx on it until I bought a used sachs cx.

Tpayne
08-23-2017, 10:24 AM
def will consider that down the road if I get the bike. Does a headset need to be removed before a powder-coat is applied?