PDA

View Full Version : Fine-Tuning my new Record Deraileur... procedure???

terrytnt
09-07-2006, 08:43 PM
Believe it or not, I'm new to 10 speed handlebar shifters. For many years my bike was a pro vitus frame with Mavic Pro Group and tubulars (and of course down shifters). Well, I made the plunge this year and built an Ottrott ST with Campy Record components and of course tubular wheels (Neutrons).

Here's my question, I love doing most my own mechanical adjustments and cleaning. Can anyone provide me a source or procedure for adjusting a Record Deraileur? I understand this often is a matter of feel and experience, but given there are 2 or 3 adjustment points, can someone provide a step-by-step process or link whereby I can learn to perform adjustments on a regular basis? Perhaps it's just trial-n-error but it always helps to start with a simple process and learn over time.

atmo
09-07-2006, 09:05 PM
there is really not much to adjust. before you connect the cable,
set the limit screw to be slightly outboard of the small cog. cut
the chain to the correct length. install and anchor the cable. at
this point shift the gears in a workstand. typically, a small-ish
turn of the cable adjuster on the rear der is ALL YOU NEED to
get the pulleys to land under that small cog. once you do, all
shifts up/down the cassette are a function of the guts in the
levers and there is a dedicated amount of travel with each shift
up and down the range of cogs. the only tweaks thereafter will
be based on cable stretch. when needed, you will know. at that
time, ever-so-slightly take up cable stretch with that barrel adjuster.

oh i love the night life
i love the disco a haaa
oh yeah atmo

amg
09-07-2006, 09:09 PM
1. Learn to curse in Italian :p

2. First set upper and lower limit screws. You don't want to the chain to go over into the spoke, nor do you want it to drop into the dropout. You'll know when the lower limit screw in right when your chain runs smoothly over the 12t cog. The upper limit screw is right when the chain stops and runs smoothly over the 25t cog. Move the der. parallelogram in and out with your hand while spinning the crank to ensure that all is running smoothly.

3. Make fine tune adjustments with the barrel adjuster.

4. Watch your favorite Giro D'Italia video and then go out for a nice ride.

Saluti,

Antonio :)

terrytnt
09-08-2006, 07:05 AM
Thanks Atmo and Antonio, your suggestions were helpful.

Let's see if I got it right - For my Ottrott there are 2 adjustments, underneath the top tube (cable adjuster, I think) which is supposed to take slack out of cable and then there's an adjuster at the der. that actually moves the der. Right? The limit screws on the der set outer limits for my 23 and 12 t cogs.

So, set the limits first, then adj. accordingly. One question, is the top tube cable adjuster ONLY to reduce slack in the cable?

thanks,

tnt

saab2000
09-08-2006, 07:20 AM
When I set something like this up, I have the barrel adjuster on the derailleur and on the top tube screwed pretty much all the way in. They both serve the same function - to adjust cable tension. You will probably not be able to install a cable with proper tension from the get go, and there will be cable stretch. You can, as the others said, take up the cable stretch, by turning the barrel adjusters on the derailleur and/or the head tube. It is normal for the cable to be a very slight bit slack when in the smallest cog. But not so slack that you can't shift into the second smallest cog easily.

The deal with the limit screws cannot be overstated. The last thing you want to do is overshift into the spokes on a new bike or off the smallest cog into the dropout area. This is the first thing to do, before you attach any cables.

csm
09-08-2006, 08:10 AM
I miss the old days with syncro. having a small hammer, file, dremel tool... getting to the point where it almost worked.... then in flash of beer-induced genius trying a suntour superbe pro shifter and finding that it indexed the campy stuff perfectly. anyone remember that shifter? you could set it for 6 or 7 speed? it worked for 8 spd too. I think it was regina maybe that came out with an 8 speed freewheel?

wasfast
09-08-2006, 09:00 AM
Campy has the setup procedures on their site if you look in the technical area.

The only thing I'd add to this is to make sure you really have the cable taut before you start adjusting the inline adjusters. I use a pair of pliars to pull the cable tight when tightening the clamp bolt.

As e-Ritchie said, start with the chain on the small cog. Move the brifter one click. The derailleur MUST move or you don't have enough tension. Not starting this part right and you'll chase the overall adjustment for ages.

Also realize that 1/4 of a turn is quite a bit in terms of changing the tension. Resist the temptation to start turning away in multiple rotations.

atmo
09-08-2006, 09:07 AM
NEVER adjust the cable tension without holding
the casing between your thumb and index finger.
the cable casing is almost always under load;
turning the barrel adjuster and NOT hold the
casing independently can cause the casing to
wind up in the process. if/once that happens,
you can not undo the results unless yo completely
unanchor the cable and start over in the 12 (or 13).

iow -
take up slack in the cable (if needed) and don't take
the casing along with it atmo.

catulle
09-08-2006, 09:18 AM
you can not undo the results unless yo completely
unanchor the cable and start over in the 12 (or 13).

iow -
take up slack in the cable (if needed) and don't take
the casing along with it atmo.

And if my cassette starts with an 11, atmo...? Ha, got ye there, didn't I...? I just let Scarlett fine tune my bikes.

Serotta PETE
09-08-2006, 09:26 AM
Believe it or not, I'm new to 10 speed handlebar shifters. For many years my bike was a pro vitus frame with Mavic Pro Group and tubulars (and of course down shifters). Well, I made the plunge this year and built an Ottrott ST with Campy Record components and of course tubular wheels (Neutrons).

Here's my question, I love doing most my own mechanical adjustments and cleaning. Can anyone provide me a source or procedure for adjusting a Record Deraileur? I understand this often is a matter of feel and experience, but given there are 2 or 3 adjustment points, can someone provide a step-by-step process or link whereby I can learn to perform adjustments on a regular basis? Perhaps it's just trial-n-error but it always helps to start with a simple process and learn over time.

You have outstanding riding up there...Invitre SPOKES up for the tune and we can go riding....I really love that area in "non WINTER"

PETE

terrytnt
09-08-2006, 09:37 AM
Terrific tips and suggestions folks... I have much to follow up on this weekend.

thanks,

tnt

atmo
09-08-2006, 09:39 AM
And if my cassette starts with an 11, atmo...? Ha, got ye there, didn't I...? I just let Scarlett fine tune my bikes.
this bud's for you atmo -

Serotta PETE
09-08-2006, 10:03 AM
this bud's for you atmo -

needs to be in Italian..... with a CAMPY tm