PDA

View Full Version : bb7 vs XT 785 brakes

fffuhq
08-21-2017, 01:38 AM
Right now i'm using Paul component levers with mechanical BB7's. Should I upgrade to Shimano Hydraulic 785 XT brakes? the brakes are fine but am I missing something by not changing to these brakes? Thanks in advanced.

dougefresh
08-21-2017, 10:58 AM
you are missing out.

fffuhq
08-21-2017, 11:06 AM
ill join the van of the hydraulic world. Word on the street that shimano makes a better hydraulic brake than sram? I could be wrong.

Vientomas
08-21-2017, 11:12 AM
Having had BB7's, Hope hydro's and Formula hydro's...hydro's are far superior in modulation and general feel at the lever. Go for the hydro's! I prefer the Hope over the Fomula for servicing.

phcollard
08-21-2017, 11:54 AM
Yes. I was against the idea of messing with hydros before. Got some mechanicals, then had a chance to switch to hydros... Wow. They're the best thing that has ever happened to cycling after the invention of the derailleur! Totally awesome.

dddd
08-23-2017, 12:37 PM
Not to mention that BB7 calipers are rather expensive!

I desperately needed to upgrade the calipers on my 2016 Huffy TR-745 (home-made PLUS bike). The stock JAK calipers were weak, screechy and grabby beyond belief!!!

I found a BB7 caliper in a box of parts I was given, then bought a Shimano BR-M375 caliper new online for $22.
The difference is Huge. The BB7 has real power and especially good modulation with the short front housing that is the compressionless grade.
The Shimano caliper is silent, but seems to lack the responsive bite of the Avid.
I will upgrade the rear rotor to 180 and see what happens with that. but again the improvements are huge.

I would expect any bike owner to experience the same sort of quantum-leap improvement with SLX hydros. which by the way are the easiest calipers to set up that I have ever installed. They literally adjust for pad/rotor alignment in seconds, compared to half-hours for mechanicals.

Here's with the new mechanical calipers, I'm happy with these:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4375/36262450020_598b95d5ab_c.jpg

ColonelJLloyd
08-23-2017, 12:39 PM
ill join the van of the hydraulic world. Word on the street that shimano makes a better hydraulic brake than sram? I could be wrong.

<shoulder shrug> I have XT on my MTB and SRAM Red on my gravel bike. Both pretty great brakes.

dddd
08-23-2017, 01:06 PM
I haven't tried the latest from SRAM, but when the 785's came out it was obvious that they were much quieter than any previous SRAM brakes I had tried.
I'll have to try the newer SRAM offerings, but that said I might still prefer the mineral oil-based Shimano versus DOT brake fluid in SRAM brakes.

ColonelJLloyd
08-23-2017, 01:20 PM
Fair point about fluid. It was a bummer to have to buy a whole other bleed kit and fluid for my SRAM brakes, but Shimano road stuff wasn't of interest to me because of derailleur options and hood shape.

peanutgallery
08-23-2017, 01:48 PM
The new SRAM Guides are light years ahead of the Elixers and bleed a heck of a lot easier. My latest dirt bike has them and I've been happy

Used shimanos for a long time and I thought I was always happy with them, best thing is that you can burp them to get air out and the fluid didn't attract water or eat aluminum and plastic

On the negative side with shimanos, brake fade because of the mineral oil heating up, not so with the SRAM and the DOT 5.1. Heck with 4 pistons and 200/180 rotors, they dissipate heat quite well

I haven't tried the latest from SRAM, but when the 785's came out it was obvious that they were much quieter than any previous SRAM brakes I had tried.
I'll have to try the newer SRAM offerings, but that said I might still prefer the mineral oil-based Shimano versus DOT brake fluid in SRAM brakes.

christian
08-24-2017, 03:30 PM
I have SRAM Guide RS on my Reign and Glory DH and XT 8000 on my 5010. Both are very good brakes. I wouldn't ride cable disks on my MTB ever again. You are missing out.