PDA

View Full Version : Tapered Steerer Forks

Jeff N.
08-20-2017, 04:56 PM
Seems like pretty much all custom Ti frame builders are offering 44mm head tubes, with tapered fork options, with 1.50" tapered being the go-to option. Does anyone here have any experience with the 1.25" tapered option offered by ENVE and perhaps others? Curious about that one. -Jeff N.

FlashUNC
08-20-2017, 05:09 PM
Go with the 1.5. No regrets about it on my Lobster.

SoCalSteve
08-20-2017, 11:49 PM
Seems like pretty much all custom Ti frame builders are offering 44mm head tubes, with tapered fork options, with 1.50" tapered being the go-to option. Does anyone here have any experience with the 1.25" tapered option offered by ENVE and perhaps others? Curious about that one. -Jeff N.

I think if you use a Chris King headset, you can evolve and devolve ( I think these are the terms they use ) the diameters as you wish with their parts.

My Moots has the 44mm headtube, but I wanted the Moots fork and at the time, they only made a 1 1/8" version. No problem, called CK and they set me up with the parts I needed to use a 1 1/8" steered tube.

So, not sure that this answers your original question, but it does give you options for getting the fork you want, even if the bike frame has a larger headtube diameter.

nmrt
08-21-2017, 01:24 AM
Something to think about

Although with a 44 mm HT, one has the option of using both kinds of steers (1 1/8 straight and tapered), I see the following issue: if one is using a 1 1/8 straight steer, the bottom cup of the headset is inside the HT. If one uses a tapered steer, the bottom cup will be external. This will lift the front end of the bike which is some case might not be desirable.

Jeff N.
08-21-2017, 08:29 AM
Something to think about

Although with a 44 mm HT, one has the option of using both kinds of steers (1 1/8 straight and tapered), I see the following issue: if one is using a 1 1/8 straight steer, the bottom cup of the headset is inside the HT. If one uses a tapered steer, the bottom cup will be external. This will lift the front end of the bike which is some case might not be desirable.
I'm aware of all that. Toss out the straight 1.125" fork in this discussion. I'm only curious if there's any REAL felt difference between the 1.50" tapered and the 1.25" tapered.