PDA

View Full Version : Hit by a Deer

spiderlake
09-07-2006, 02:57 PM
Funny but true - I got blindsided by a deer today while riding the VASA Singletrack loop. I was riding through a section of trail that is pretty dense with underbrush and scrub trees, not really paying attention and then I heard something crashing through the brush. Before I could react I felt something on my left side like being tackled. I was knocked off my bike and my first thought was that I was being attacked by a bear. Yeah, not the most rational thought to cross my mind but then I saw the deer bounding down the trail and started laughing. I layed there for a good minute and then checked to see if all my parts were still connected and then I checked my bike. No damage!!

I finished the loop and then felt so good that I rode another section. I decided to cut the second loop short so I turned down a rarely used logging road to get back to the trailhead. As I was coming down the road I heard what sounded like a CB radio. As I got closer I saw a county road commission truck parked and a dude sleeping in the front seat. Nice. Our tax dollars at work!

Fun times!

coylifut
09-07-2006, 02:59 PM
you conversing with nature. kool story

Rich_W
09-07-2006, 03:00 PM
As funny as that sounds, a buddy of mine was sideswiped by a deer on his roadbike up in Harriman a couple of years ago. He had no choice but to grab onto the sucker and take it down with him...

Fixed
09-07-2006, 03:01 PM
bro you'll remember that ride
cheers

spiderlake
09-07-2006, 03:09 PM
That would have been a sight to see! :beer:

As funny as that sounds, a buddy of mine was sideswiped by a deer on his roadbike up in Harriman a couple of years ago. He had no choice but to grab onto the sucker and take it down with him...

Archibald
09-07-2006, 03:23 PM
Before I could react I felt something on my left side like being tackled.
You're lucky you didn't get a barb through the heart! :beer:

spiderlake
09-07-2006, 03:26 PM
Oddly enough, I was just thinking along those lines. Deers have sharp hooves and I'm lucky I didn't get impaled as she jumped through/over me! And.... as much as I love mountain biking, that's not how I'd want to go!

You're lucky you didn't get a barb through the heart! :beer:

Archibald
09-07-2006, 03:39 PM
...that's not how I'd want to go!
Yes, I hope to die when I'm 96. Shot in the back by a jealous husband!

;)

67-59
09-07-2006, 03:41 PM
Glad to hear you made it OK. I see quite a few deer where I ride, and am not too anxious to find out what would happen if we collided.

Actually, I had a nervous moment involving a deer on a ride about a week ago. I was riding down a short but very steep and winding segment of road where I've frequently seen deer before. Because I've seen them there before, I am usually very vigilant and ready to hit the brakes. (I could probably hit 40+ here, but because of the frequent sightings, I usually don't go any faster than about 30). But on this ride I heard a car coming from behind and wanted to get around an upcoming curve before he caught and passed me, so I was more focused on going as fast as I could -- probably about 40 -- and riding without being as prepared to brake as I should have been. I quickly glanced back to see how far back the car was, then looked up and saw a deer right at the side of the road, probably 10 to 20 feet away. I saw that I'd go within about 5 feet of him, but had no chance to brake or even swerve away, so I just held my line and hoped he wouldn't panic and leap at me. Fortunately he just froze. Whew!

Fixed
09-07-2006, 03:42 PM
yeah bro just have me hooked to a bunch of tubes in the hospital spending the last of my money ...I rather go riding anyday .
cheers

onekgguy
09-07-2006, 04:04 PM
I was on hwy 101 in Eden Prairie (mn) several years ago and came within inches of hitting a deer. I was using a set of profile aero bars at the time and traveling at close to 30 on a downhill. I didn't see the deer until it was nearly in front of me. The deer and I were both spooked and I remember the deer snorting as it shot by in front of me spraying my arms with snot. I got rid of the aero bars shortly after that in favor of quicker access to my brakes.

Kevin

BarryG
09-07-2006, 04:18 PM
Deer can sure seem goofy at times. A deer leaped into the middle of a pack of about 20 of us on a rural woody road last year and took 4 riders down, one of whom was taken away in an ambulance. Luckily all injuries weren't too serious. It helps if you see 'em coming.

Ginger
09-07-2006, 04:23 PM
Darrin,
Sorry to hear that the Hit Deer missed its mark.
:)
Uh, I mean, glad to hear that you're ok!

Mary Ann

davids
09-07-2006, 04:40 PM
I thought deer were shy, skittish creatures until I started mountain biking. I've had to slow to a crawl and yell at them to get them off the trails. Fortunately, I've never had a close encounter with one on the roads.

Glad you're OK.

http://velonews.com/galleries/contest35a/deer%20vs%20bike-Ben%20Whitehead.jpg

http://www.davesems.com/files/Deer-bike.jpg

trophyoftexas
09-07-2006, 04:53 PM
I've had two very good friends killed when they hit deer while riding their motorcycles....deer are a MAJOR problem in the Texas Hill Country, you'd better have your head on a swivel when decending at anything above 20-25 mph because they can come out of any place! Sheep and goats are somewhat of a concern down there, too, because much of what we ride are roads that are part of ranches that are still open range, more or less.

BumbleBeeDave
09-07-2006, 04:57 PM
Darrin,
Sorry to hear that the Hit Deer missed its mark.
:)
Uh, I mean, glad to hear that you're ok!

Mary Ann

I just KNEW you must have had something to do with this! ;)

BBD

IXXI
09-07-2006, 07:01 PM
mattresses.

I had a surreal run in with a mattress that unleased itself from a redneck's truck that passed me at 40mph. The thing flew out and caught air and landed right in front of me (all in slow motion) and I hit it dead on doing around 20. Messed me up good and the guy never noticed it was gone...

Kevan
09-08-2006, 10:43 AM
I came close a few weeks ago. I drop onto a steep cross road with a series of sharp S curves at the bottom. I'm coming out of one of the turns and out saunters these doe. She's timid, but seems to harbor this attitude of "Don't rush me! I'm being careful." I come to a screeching halt as does a SUV coming the opposite direction. I felt like I could have reached out and slapped her rump telling her, "Move it along ol' girl!" Instead, me and the SUV driver were left to smirk at each other and shake our heads.

All I could imagine, riding off, was the local paper referring to my wipeout, had it happened, as the "Dingletown Rd. massacre". Where's the respect in that?

shoe
09-08-2006, 11:33 AM
it was probably some of it's favorite single track . i would be careful out there . it could end up as a turf war...why can't we all just get along...dave

martianbait
09-08-2006, 11:45 AM
Your story hit too close to home. On a bike path I normally ride to work, I had a deer run right in front of me on my ride home earlier this year, and missed me by less than a foot. So close I could smell it....

The path travels through a state forest, so there's plenty of critters. And it makes for a great ride, just as long as they keep their distance.

Ken Robb
09-08-2006, 11:49 AM
I only want to smell a deer in a red wine reduction! :beer:

chrisroph
09-08-2006, 01:20 PM
Glad you weren't hurt. I hit one in a car one time, left quite a mess. Almost hit one on my bicycle, scared silly of hitting one on the motorcycle, since the good places to ride are rural and/or agricultural and dusk and dawn are good riding times and the times when deer are most activily traveling.