PDA

View Full Version : Help me with fender choices for my short-reach bike with fender mounts

ravdg316
08-18-2017, 02:34 PM
Does anybody have any recommendations for fenders that will fit under short reach brakes? I'm specifically using Dura Ace 9000 or 9100 calipers. The bike has fender and rack mounts, long chainstays and plenty of clearance for fenders with 25c tires, but is specced for short reach brakes.

I'm looking into high quality metal fenders from Honjo and the like. Could really use some input! Thanks all.

PepeM
08-18-2017, 02:37 PM
Portland Design Works. Beautiful fenders. Work better with 23mm tires though, it is a bit tight with 25s.

pncguy
08-18-2017, 02:42 PM
Portland Design Works. Beautiful fenders. Work better with 23mm tires though, it is a bit tight with 25s.

I just saw a set of these in REI. I was astounded. They're not cheap, but they sure are purdy.

Ken Robb
08-18-2017, 02:43 PM
Pardon my butting in but how often will you need fenders if you live in Santa Monica? I think I would rather run tires wider than 23mm and skip the fenders. Would the eyelets make good mounts for racks that might be more useful than fenders?

Clean39T
08-18-2017, 02:46 PM
https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=76804&category=698

SKS semi-permanent Race blades are designed for regular road bikes...worked well for me.

ravdg316
08-18-2017, 02:55 PM
Hey Ken -- last year it rained a lot in SM. Going car free with two bikes, one with fenders one without

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken Robb
08-18-2017, 04:30 PM
Yep, we got almost as much rain in La Jolla last year. I didn't know you were going car-free. I just sold my Riv Allrounder that had fenders but it also had canti brakes and room for 37mm tires under them. I didn't HAVE to ride anywhere but it was nice to be able to hit the road after a storm before the roads were dry. I still have my Rambouillet and due to it's medium reach brakes I could run 700x33 tires under fenders (I think) but the buyer of the AR liked the fenders so I left them on it when he bought the bike. Come to think about it he was from LA too.
Would center-pull brakes have better clearance on your bike if you felt like riding on somewhat fatter tires? I may have read something about that idea on a Rivendell post some time ago.