PDA

View Full Version : Why would a shop do this?

Bruce K
08-18-2017, 01:26 PM
Cyclist takes his bike into an LBS for minor repairs while traveling.

When he picks it up they have removed the decal/logo of a team sponsor shop from the chain stay and replaced it with their own.

I can't for the life of me understand why any LBS would do something like that without the cyclist/owner's permission.

Thoughts?

BK

Hindmost
08-18-2017, 01:28 PM
They used to do that with license plate frames when I took my car into the dealer for service.

zmudshark
08-18-2017, 01:40 PM

When he picks it up they have removed the decal/logo of a team sponsor shop from the chain stay and replaced it with their own.

I can't for the life of me understand why any LBS would do something like that without the cyclist/owner's permission.

Thoughts?

BK

Sue for damages.

I've known of shops that do that, I don't frequent them and tell everyone I know to stay away.

veggieburger
08-18-2017, 01:46 PM
Ask for original sticker back. Not cool.

BobO
08-18-2017, 01:52 PM

It's a marketing strategy, nothing more. Put the name out there for the most eyes to see. I agree that it's a really crappy thing to do.

David Kirk
08-18-2017, 01:54 PM
Because they are thinking small and short term.

dave

hollowgram5
08-18-2017, 02:12 PM

daveThis. Absolutely agree here.

drewellison
08-18-2017, 02:15 PM
Maybe to make the point, ask the shop owner how he'd like it if you put your favorite politician's bumper sticker on his car? :D

m4rk540
08-18-2017, 02:18 PM
http://tbsdp.blogspot.com/2015/

Clean39T
08-18-2017, 02:33 PM
Ridiculous. I'd contact the owner - it may have been a newbie wrench behaving badly..

Keith A
08-18-2017, 02:38 PM

daveYep, excellent point.

pncguy
08-18-2017, 02:41 PM
http://tbsdp.blogspot.com/2015/

Yeah, but I think this is different - or should be.

I completely support the idea of a small bike shop to put their sticker on a bike I buy from them. It's good advertising and makes sense to me.

But to have someone PULL OFF a sticker - regardless of whether it is a team sponsor - and put on their own...

That's low class.

Please let us know how this turns out. I'd love to not go into THAT shop.

m4rk540
08-18-2017, 02:44 PM
They shouldn't do it but it's not something I'd get upset over. You would hope that the bike shop would exercise some restraint or discretion. If a customer brought in a pristine 60-year-old classic French bike, I doubt anyone would remove a preserved decal from a beloved Continental bike shop.

bianchi10
08-18-2017, 02:50 PM
I'd be pissed!

chiasticon
08-18-2017, 02:58 PM
maybe the wrench envisions himself as one of the pros and wants everyone to know who tuned up this particular bike? :D

https://grit.cx/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/MKWCX-J-Pow004.jpg

Wasatch
08-18-2017, 03:08 PM
Definitely not cool. The owner of the shop should be made aware of this.

sitzmark
08-18-2017, 03:11 PM
:no:

Why?
- Shop tech/mechanic following orders : Because he/she is told to sticker all bikes that come through shop. Wants to keep job.
- Shop owner/manager : Because it is very targeted advertising for almost no cost (cost of the sticker).

Either way altering bike other than components associated with agreed repair/service is not acceptable without permission from the customer. Owner/manager should get a complaint call or visit.

Bruce K
08-18-2017, 03:15 PM
That was the kind of sticker that was removed (team mechanic's business) - saying who regularly preps/services the bike.

The shop decal is removed and a new one replacing the original is going back on shortly.

It just seemed really odd and kind of ***

BK

chiasticon
08-18-2017, 03:26 PM
It just seemed really odd and kind of ***agreed. lame p*ssing contest for no reason. I'd for sure make the shop aware that you're not happy and won't return for more service.

Vonruden
08-18-2017, 03:42 PM
Very Douchey move on their part, would not be happy.

Climb01742
08-18-2017, 04:24 PM
If the shop wanted some advertising, a far cooler move and one more likely to have a positive impact would have been to return the bike after service with a free shop water bottle in one of the bike's cages.

oldpotatoe
08-18-2017, 04:42 PM

Thoughts?

BK

As a shop owner and lbs veteran, I can't either. That person ought to get canned. I didn't even change things like a crooked or uneven levers w/o talking to owner.

bikinchris
08-18-2017, 06:08 PM
As a shop owner and lbs veteran, I can't either. That person ought to get canned. I didn't even change things like a crooked or uneven levers w/o talking to owner.

Exactly. Saddle off center? NEVER touch them. Call customer or ask when they pick up the bike. No way, no how, do I EVER take anything off or put anything on any customers bike without having a specific conversation about the change.

One time, a guy in a local shop did things like that and a rider found out that the shop had sold his Nuovo Record derailleur and replaced it with a new one. Using a customer's bike as stock to sell? Ugh, that's low.

David Kirk
08-18-2017, 06:12 PM
If the shop wanted some advertising, a far cooler move and one more likely to have a positive impact would have been to return the bike after service with a free shop water bottle in one of the bike's cages.

Yep.......give stellar service and put a bottle in the cage and make the owner WANT to put their sticker on the bike. Instead they turned the bike owner off having the direct opposite of the desired effect.

dave

pjbaz
08-18-2017, 06:50 PM
I would have LOST MY MIND with that kind of move, and there would have been words - polite ones to start, then escalating to loud, vulgar ones depending how the issue was handled.

I remove all dealer advertising from my cars because no one compensates me for the ad. Want your decal on my trunk lid? Drop the price by a few Gs and we can discuss.

charliedid
08-18-2017, 07:49 PM
Shops that do that, suck.

oldpotatoe
08-19-2017, 07:12 AM
Yep.......give stellar service and put a bottle in the cage and make the owner WANT to put their sticker on the bike. Instead they turned the bike owner off having the direct opposite of the desired effect.

dave

I've done that, given a guy my water bottle if the bike had a 'competitors' bottle on the bike..but I gave the other bottle back...

wpod
08-19-2017, 09:41 AM
One thing to add sticker( though still a wanker mover ), another thing completely to remove an existing sticker. Definately a douche move :no:

Dracarys
08-19-2017, 10:59 AM
Charge them an advertising fee. Say the previous shop was paying $500 per season to have their sticker on the bike. Either pay me $1000 ($500 for advertising your sticker and the $500 I will have to refund the other shop) or put the old sticker back.

But, yeah, I'd be pissed. When I buy cars or bikes, I tell the dealers I will not accept delivery if there is a dealer sticker on the car/bike (unless they agree to pay me to advertise their dealership, which they never do).

Gummee
08-19-2017, 11:25 AM

This

I tried that 'fix it, it ain't right!' thing a LONG time ago when I was a newer wrench. Got kvetched at by a customer for it. Stopped that immediately.

Bike comes in one way. Leaves cleaned, lubed, adjusted, but otherwise the same way.

M

toddster
08-20-2017, 07:51 AM
I once had a shop do this to my bike after a multi-hour bike fitting. I am very particular on my bikes and frames and do all my own work. This shop did an excellent job fitting me and I even bought a few parts from them because of the fit results. They must have placed the sticker on when I got changed into reg clothes. I did not see the sticker until I got home. It shocked me. Why didn't they ask or inform me? I couldn't believe it. It ruined the great service I received and I will not recommend the shop. Their "advertising" sticker backfired. A simple conversation could have saved them business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R3awak3n
08-20-2017, 09:41 AM
if you put a stick on my bike without my consent that will piss me off. Now if you want to throw free service, go ahead, put the sticker but if I am paying for it :no:. Now removing something that was already there its no bueno.

and this is why I do my own wrenching...

binxnyrwarrsoul
08-20-2017, 09:59 AM

Thoughts?

BK
Shop name?

Tony T
08-20-2017, 10:56 AM
Shop name?

Why give the shop more free advertising?

Bruce K
08-20-2017, 04:14 PM
Somewhere in the northern 3 New England states.

That's all you'll get.;)

BK

Cicli
08-20-2017, 04:38 PM
Somewhere in the northern 3 New England states.

That's all you'll get.;)

BK

Canada?

Bruce K
08-20-2017, 05:46 PM
I don't believe we've annexed them yet.

BK

merckx
08-20-2017, 06:59 PM
I don't believe we've annexed them yet.

BK

Oh, I think we have. They just don't know it yet. :>O

Birddog
08-20-2017, 07:05 PM
I'm pretty sure the shop is called Velo Douche.

Fivethumbs
08-20-2017, 07:09 PM
Forget about the name of the shop, I wanna know what the new sticker said.

Bruce K
08-20-2017, 07:18 PM
Nice try....

BK

veggieburger
08-20-2017, 08:33 PM
Oh, I think we have. They just don't know it yet. :>O

Just try it! Our airforce (bi and tri planes, and Sea King helicopters), navy (ole Ironsides), infantry (British 303 surplus from ww2) and armor (das Panzer) will repel you in short order. :crap:

merckx
08-20-2017, 08:58 PM
Just try it! Our airforce (bi and tri planes, and Sea King helicopters), navy (ole Ironsides), infantry (British 303 surplus from ww2) and armor (das Panzer) will repel you in short order. :crap:

Listen, bud, I am so close to moving up there. Just try me.

Bruce K
08-20-2017, 09:00 PM
Sorry, you don't get to claim "Old Ironsides".

Another nice try!

BK

Llewellyn
08-20-2017, 11:21 PM
Why give the shop more free advertising?

I would think it's more of a PSA about which shop to avoid.

velotrack
08-20-2017, 11:33 PM
car dealership did this once - changed out the license plate frame, and threw out the other, perfectly fine one.

not going back. not OK.
[and definitely not cool on the bike either... worse, probably, since i care about that more than the car]

Tony T
08-21-2017, 06:16 AM
When a dealership did this to me I broke theirs in half and left it at their door.

Dracarys
08-21-2017, 07:34 AM
i would think it's more of a psa about which shop to avoid.

+1