PDA

View Full Version : csi with a dent

Fixed
09-07-2006, 01:21 PM
bro this is $ 99.00 on ebay bummer nobody wants it cos of this dent.
cheers

Big Dan
09-07-2006, 01:25 PM
Moment of silence............please................. :(

Tom
09-07-2006, 01:32 PM
Sheesh. $100 for a bike and about $1000 (?) for a new pipe and a paint job... and you got yerself a pretty decent bike.

92degrees
09-07-2006, 03:27 PM
At what point is a dent fatal instead of cosmetic? I'm not a buyer. I'm just asking. On my aluminum rain bike I have a dent on the side of the TT that you see if the light is right. You can't feel it with your hand.

Fixed
09-07-2006, 03:32 PM
I have had bike with dents in the top tube from the h. bars hitting the t.t. .
it didn't bother me on a steel bike
i don't think i would buy one with it. it would bug me on a new/old bike
cheers

Bradford
09-07-2006, 04:30 PM
At what point is a dent fatal instead of cosmetic? I'm not a buyer. I'm just asking. On my aluminum rain bike I have a dent on the side of the TT that you see if the light is right. You can't feel it with your hand.

In addition to the size of the dent, it depends on the material. I have a steel bike with a dent the size of a dime and an aluminum frame with a dent the size of a quarter. I sent pictures back to both manufacturers. The company that made the steel bike (IF) said not to worry about it, the dent will have no impact. The other company (Cannondale) said never ride the bike again.

I think that steel can handle a much larger dent then aluminum. I would be nervous about any dent in aluminum. I hope I never have to worry about dents in Ti.

Marcusaurelius
09-07-2006, 07:22 PM
bro this is $ 99.00 on ebay bummer nobody wants it cos of this dent.
cheers

Hmm, well I bought it dent and all. Of course it went higher than $99 ($180).
C'est la vie. I thought I was going to get it for $99 but someone came in the end and almost snatched it away from me. That's just Ebay I guess.

Fixed
09-07-2006, 07:37 PM
bro glad it went to one of the family enjoy
post a pick after you put together please
cheers

guyintense
09-07-2006, 07:59 PM
Hmm, well I bought it dent and all. Of course it went higher than $99 ($180).
C'est la vie. I thought I was going to get it for $99 but someone came in the end and almost snatched it away from me. That's just Ebay I guess.

Are you going to have it repaired? If so I'd like to know what it ends up costing, for future reference. It seems frames with this same malady show up on the market a lot.

Marcusaurelius
09-07-2006, 10:43 PM
I sent a frame to Bilenky Cycle works in Philadelphia because the down tube got dented in shipping. I thought I would have to have the whole down tube replaced but Bilenky was able fix the dent with silver brazing. It looked great and it only cost $50. Of course a new paint job cost me $140--so I spent $200. I'm not sure this time. If the top tube needs to be replaced it will be $200 and of course $140 for a paint job so I'm think it will be $340 or less (hopefully).

Marcusaurelius
09-07-2006, 10:45 PM
bro glad it went to one of the family enjoy
post a pick after you put together please
cheers

Yep, this will become my winter project since I am just waiting to put together a bike right now.

Happy trails

guyintense
09-08-2006, 09:34 AM
I sent a frame to Bilenky Cycle works in Philadelphia because the down tube got dented in shipping. I thought I would have to have the whole down tube replaced but Bilenky was able fix the dent with silver brazing. It looked great and it only cost $50. Of course a new paint job cost me $140--so I spent $200. I'm not sure this time. If the top tube needs to be replaced it will be $200 and of course $140 for a paint job so I'm think it will be $340 or less (hopefully).

Bilenky Cycle works? Sorry, I just assumed you would send the CSi home for a little TLC.

PaulE
09-08-2006, 03:46 PM
Somehow I have it in my mind that I once heard someone describe a process of repairing a dent in a steel frame by "rolling it out", which sounded like fixing the dent without replacing the tube or repainting it. Is that possible?

cpg
09-08-2006, 03:55 PM
Rolling the dent works if the dent isn't too deep. Basically rolling involves clamping the tube between two blocks that are bored to fit the tube's OD. The blocks are clamped in the vise. The tube is moved to various positions within the blocks and the vise is tightened. It works sometimes but usually the paint get messed up a little. Anyway, I'm glad someone bought the Csi. The dent was a bummer but in the end the buyer got a really good frame for not a lot of money.

Curt

Marcusaurelius
09-08-2006, 03:56 PM
Bilenky Cycle works? Sorry, I just assumed you would send the CSi home for a little TLC.

I sent my specialized allez to Bilenky for repairs but I am probably going to send the Serotta to Serotta. The slight problem is I am not close to any Serotta dealer but the drive to Seattle is always great.

Michael Maddox
09-08-2006, 04:07 PM
You folks need to spend some time in musical instrument repair shops.

As an active trombonist, I find metal repair a most interesting and useful profession. I don't see why simply rolling out a tube, then rebrazing or welding isn't done more often. It would seem much less expensive in many cases, plus a quicker turnaround.

Of course, there IS the question of paint.