PDA

View Full Version : Seat tube housing/cable stop for FD on CX bike?

nighthawk
08-17-2017, 09:22 PM
Feels like a stupid question but I'm trying to figure out what my options are for a FD cable stop on an IF PlanetX I'm putting together. It's got toptube routing and pulley to allow for use of a bottom pull FD. About 5"s from the top on the backside the seat tube there is a brazeon like for a downtube shifter barrel adjuster/stop. Is that what I'm supposed to use here or there other options specifically designed for this? I have no reason to think the downtube shifter stop wouldn't work... but I don't have one on hand to try. The offset might actually make for a cleaner line to send the cable to the pulley... but again, just curious about options and wondering if I'm missing something.

sales guy
08-17-2017, 09:36 PM
Yeah, some frames offer that. A downtube barrel adjuster style stop to be added Like the ones for STI levers.

nighthawk
08-17-2017, 09:41 PM
It's an already built frame... the brazeon is just what's on there. I can take a pic and post tomorrow. I'm just trying to get all the small bits together to build the bike up... and I'm stuck on figuring out what to bolt on the braze-on. Seems like the downtube shifter stop is probably the way to go.

GOTHBROOKS
08-17-2017, 09:58 PM

donevwil
08-17-2017, 11:31 PM
Don't know the thread size on the stop and not all barrel adjuster threads are the same (some M4 some M5). I'd go to your LBS and try a few barrel adjusters. Frames with these stops come with barrel adjusters, so yours must have disappeared.

Use the pulley if you're using a typical road bottom pull front derailleur. If you use a top pull derailleur you can eliminate the pulley. Shimano CX70 comes in both types and is a great derailleur if you don't have one yet.

cadence90
08-17-2017, 11:42 PM
If your braze-on looks like this one on my Moots Psychlo-X, and it is threaded, then yes it takes a standard M5 x 0.8 Cable Barrel Adjuster, like this one from Paragon Machine Works (http://www.paragonmachineworks.com/cs1013-barrel-adjuster.html) (but there are many types/brands available).

nighthawk
08-17-2017, 11:59 PM
It's not the pulley I'm stuck on... I plan to use it with a Campy FD. Bottom pull, no big deal. I'm just trying to figure out what type of stop to use above the pulley.

It is not the kind on the Moots above, which just takes a barrel adjuster. Mine is a down tube shifter boss. I need to bolt something onto it, but I'm not sure if there are other options besides a downtube shifter stop. It should work, but just hoping someone has a similar set-up and can tell me what they are using.

cadence90
08-18-2017, 12:11 AM
I see.

On this one it looks like someone did exactly as you describe, using a standard DT stop and adjuster.

Billybob62
08-18-2017, 06:15 AM
If you're trying to get an adjuster in there, there may be enough room for one of these: https://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/jagwire-rocket-ii-adjusters-black?utm_source=TPA%20On%20Google%20Shopping&utm_campaign=Top%20Placement%20Ads%C2%AE%20(SPLA)&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=People%20Searching%20For%20Bike%20Parts&utm_content=Google%20Shopping&product_id=14489&device=c&loc_physical_ms=9005815&gclid=CjwKCAjwoNrMBRB4EiwA_ODYvxDGmOut4EkOxW_SZeKv iqBFlFEtZAED7O9VF7_Oc5T68AL3vMj5thoCmzcQAvD_BwE

nighthawk
08-18-2017, 07:03 AM
I see.

On this one it looks like someone did exactly as you describe, using a standard DT stop and adjuster.

Yes! Thank you! That's perfect and validates what I was assuming was IFs intention with that boss.

Gummee
08-18-2017, 08:57 AM
I know you said you were planning on using Campag, but a Shimano CX75 front derailleur is a much better option.

Why? They come top pull!

Skip the pulley completely! Less friction, better shifting

HTH

M

nighthawk
08-18-2017, 09:02 AM
I know you said you were planning on using Campag, but a Shimano CX75 front derailleur is a much better option.

Why? They come top pull!

HTH

M

CX70 you mean? I've considered it and might go that route. Figure I'll give the pulley a shot and then try the CX-70 and see which one feels smoother. Appreciate the insight!

jds108
08-18-2017, 10:18 AM
CX70 is absolutely the way to go if you're using a compact crank (10 or 11 speed). That's my opinion, but I'm pretty certain of it. And might as well go top pull and eliminate the pulley.

I've got a NOS CX70 top pull braze on unit. Bought it months ago - was supposed to be bottom pull but isn't, and now it's too late to return. Feel free to PM if you're interested.

Only reason not to use the CX70 is if your shifter is built for a long arm FD. In that case it's a no go.

oldpotatoe
08-18-2017, 04:50 PM
It's an already built frame... the brazeon is just what's on there. I can take a pic and post tomorrow. I'm just trying to get all the small bits together to build the bike up... and I'm stuck on figuring out what to bolt on the braze-on. Seems like the downtube shifter stop is probably the way to go.

Yup, gotta have a cable stop there. Is there a lower brazeon fitting for a pulley?

oldpotatoe
08-18-2017, 04:52 PM

Why? They come top pull!

HTH

M

Only if the LH shifter is 'Ultrashift' no work with Powershift/Escape LH lever.

nighthawk
08-18-2017, 04:59 PM
Yup, gotta have a cable stop there. Is there a lower brazeon fitting for a pulley?

YEP!

It's 11 speed Chorus... those are all Ultra-shift, right?

Gummee
08-19-2017, 11:30 AM

You sure about that? The CX75 is 'old style' and not 'long arm' style.

I KNOW it works on my otherwise 6800 bikes. Worked on my Red 10sp stuff too when this bike was built that way

M