PDA

View Full Version : help with PF30BB adapters/BB options

Dave B
08-17-2017, 06:34 AM
I have a normal sized spindle SRAM red crankset typical not a BB30 diameter. I want to put it into a pf30bb size in my cross bike and understand there are a variety of adaptors that would work just fine.

I already do not enjoy the pf30 creaking, so need a bit of advice/guidance.

Have any of you had any luck with either adapters to fit a normal spindle on a sram crankset into a pf30bb shell or a pf30 bb that has a smaller inner diameter to take a traditional sram spindle? I would gladly get another bb and press it in with a bit of lock-tight to help with the creaks, but any success stories as to which one is decent?

Thanks all

shovelhd
08-17-2017, 06:40 AM
What do you mean by "normal sized SRAM spindle"? Are you talking about GXP? Is it designed for a threaded BB? If so, I've used them in BB30, not PF30 BB's with no creaks. I used the Wheels adapters. I suggest that you try the Wheels or Praxis conversion BB's. Installed correctly, they are silent.

commonguy001
08-17-2017, 06:53 AM
Another vote for Praxis or Wheels if you're talking GXP spindle cranks.

I have a new Wheels with ceramic bearings I'm not going to use if you want a nice one (PM me if you're interested).

Dave B
08-17-2017, 06:54 AM
What do you mean by "normal sized SRAM spindle"? Are you talking about GXP? Is it designed for a threaded BB? If so, I've used them in BB30, not PF30 BB's with no creaks. I used the Wheels adapters. I suggest that you try the Wheels or Praxis conversion BB's. Installed correctly, they are silent.

yes everything you said, GXP spindle not anything larger. Need to fit it into a PF30BB shell/BB.

Wouldn't mind putting in a new BB as well.

Dave B
08-17-2017, 08:02 AM
This looks like the ticket.

Threads in to help reduce creaking and set up for GXP spindles. Anyone tried one of these with success?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Wheels-Manufacturing-BB30-to-SRAM-Bottom-Bracket-ABEC-3-Black-FULL-WARRANTY/182181371612?epid=1123958615&hash=item2a6adb1edc%3Ag%3ARvoAAOSwvg9XWZLs

fa63
08-17-2017, 08:06 AM
This looks like the ticket.

Threads in to help reduce creaking and set up for GXP spindles. Anyone tried one of these with success?

I have the Shimano version on two bikes. Works like a charm.

Dave B
08-17-2017, 08:20 AM
I have the Shimano version on two bikes. Works like a charm.

excellent thanks!

fa63
08-17-2017, 08:38 AM
If installing yourself just keep in mind that you will need the bottom bracket tool with the larger diameter/16 notches (FSA style). I use Park Tool BBT-29.

Also, for what it is worth, I use the version with the angular contact bearings, which I believe costs $25 more than the version you linked to. I am sure they both work fine, but I have found mine to be the smoothest BB I have ever used.

chiasticon
08-17-2017, 08:40 AM
I suggest that you try the Wheels or Praxis conversion BB's. Installed correctly, they are silent.this. ran Praxis one for a couple years and it was perfect.

but now I'll only buy a BB/PF30 frame if you put a gun to my head.

estilley
08-17-2017, 08:58 AM
Another vote for Praxis/Wheels Mfg.

I've had them on two different bikes now.

If I recall correctly you'll want a second BB wrench for installation right? (Hold one side while tightening the other?). Maybe that's just for the Praxis and not the Wheels Mfg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fa63
08-17-2017, 09:01 AM
If I recall correctly you'll want a second BB wrench for installation right? (Hold one side while tightening the other?). Maybe that's just for the Praxis and not the Wheels Mfg.

Technically, yes, but I have gotten by with one with no issues.

Dave B
08-17-2017, 09:05 AM
So you need two of the BBT-29 tools or just one of them to tighten?

I have a specific tool for XTR 980 (which should work) and the BBT-9 so I might be good.

fa63
08-17-2017, 09:46 AM
Ideally, you should have two BB tools so that when you are tightening the non-drive side cup, you hold the drive side cup in place so that the BB doesn't spin in the BB shell. That said, I have never had that issue using just one BB tool.

Your BBT-9 tool won't work; it has 16 notches for Shimano Hollowtech but it is too small in diameter to fit the Wheels Manufacturing BB (which is 48.5 mm OD). You will need the BBT-29 or similar; you can also buy it directly from Wheels Manufacturing:

http://wheelsmfg.com/presses-tools/bottom-bracket-tools/bb-wrench-48-5mm-44mm.html

Dave B
08-17-2017, 09:53 AM
I just grabbed the park one on the cheap. Not too bad. Thanks for the helps gents

Gummee
08-17-2017, 10:05 AM
just as a note: if you're going from the C-dale BB30A to Shimano/SRAM cranks the ONLY BB I've found to do that in one step is Kogel.

BB30A being a different shell width than standard BB30

HTH

M

kramnnim
08-17-2017, 11:47 AM
My Wheels MFG BB (PF30 to Shimano) uses regular ~44mm wrenches like he original Hollowtech II, Campy UT, etc. BBT-9 size.

This says 44mm...

http://wheelsmfg.com/tech/PDF/PF30-OUT-SRAM-ABEC3-INSTRUCTIONS.pdf

The 48.5mm wrenches are for the PF30 BBs that do not convert down to Shimano/GXP.

Dave B
08-17-2017, 12:25 PM
My Wheels MFG BB (PF30 to Shimano) uses regular ~44mm wrenches like he original Hollowtech II, Campy UT, etc. BBT-9 size.

This says 44mm...

http://wheelsmfg.com/tech/PDF/PF30-OUT-SRAM-ABEC3-INSTRUCTIONS.pdf

The 48.5mm wrenches are for the PF30 BBs that do not convert down to Shimano/GXP.

Well, now I have an extra tool for whenever I might need it. Was only $17 so not a huge amount.

pasadena
08-17-2017, 12:25 PM
Look at http://www.hambini.com/
He's got great adapters and bearings

Dave B
08-17-2017, 12:28 PM
just as a note: if you're going from the C-dale BB30A to Shimano/SRAM cranks the ONLY BB I've found to do that in one step is Kogel.

BB30A being a different shell width than standard BB30

HTH

M

It is an Asylum Meuse (cross bike) and it is just a PF30 BB shell. No other info I can find. I have the stuff to knock out the bearings and have a nicer crank to upgrade it as the good old Rapha/IF is going Campy...as it should be! :)

Putting a GXP sram crank on it and simply needed to find the right contraption to make it work.

I think I am good to go.